Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Saw a somber reminder tonight of why you should respect speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill nailed it.

IMHO where kids get in trouble most of the time is when the speed begins to exceed the cars abilities due to worn parts or a bad set up. Inexperience also plays a big part in it as well.

My father in law is the chief of police in his town and I have been on ride alongs with him to scenes of some pretty nasty accidents involving kids and high speeds. 90% of the time the kids (generally speaking of course) get thier car to a speed that it cant handle. For whatever reason, tires, suspension, over driving etc. Its amazing how road surfaces change once you start picking up speed. What you thought at 60mph was a big bump may not even be a bump at all at 100+. A frost heave in the road at 60mph is almost totally unreccocnizable, but at 100+ you are getting ready to be the next evel kenevel (sp). I know both Bill and myself have spent countless hours figuring for instances just like that. But now matter much you prep for it it can always sneak up and bite you in the ***.

I do believe that everyone should attent a good driving school. however when working with teenagers, it could be a double edged sword without LOTS and LOTS of stick time. One class and one lap day IMHO is still just enough to make you THINK your a good driver and thats the last thing a teen needs. I guess it all boils down to the individual respecting what a car is capapble of and not trying to push the limits.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NautyAngel
I have to agree with you both. What do you expect a 16 year old kid to do with a car like that? And a 16 year old kid who doesnt even know what he is getting into - like Howard said, parallel parking a driving a city grid just dont get the job done.
It was not the car that did it, it was the driver and given a chance, any car can reach speeds capable of killing people. I remember back to the time when I cut a 78 Ford Fairmont with a massive 88hp 4 cyl engine in half when I broadsided a telephone pole. (someone was watching over me and my passengers that day, not even a scrape)
Old 09-30-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Racehead
I agree with part of what you're saying Darrin. Kids will push the limit no matter what kind of car they are in. A modern stock 4 cylinder grocery getter will do at least 90-100 mph which is more than enough to kill yourself with. However, when I was younger I ALWAYS knew exactly how fast ANY car I was driving would go. Thankfully they were cars like a '71 Toyota station wagon, '76 Toyota P/U, '72 Chev station wagon, '63 ford Fairlane etc. If I had an LS1 car back then I'm sure my terminal velocitys would have gone up on scale with capability. I know not every kid was like me, I was pretty much the fearless hellion that everyone talks about.

IMO teenage kids should have 2 experiences happen to them to prepare them.

1. They need to see a few dead kids their own age at the local morgue up close and personal. It's very hard to ignore or dismiss a cold harsh reality like that.

2. They need a high performance/street survival driving class so they have a decent skill set in place when something happens, 'cuz we all know something WILL eventually happen.
Ya know Bill, my ONLY disagreement, or rather dispute with your 2 experiences-for-kids is that if you give a "kid" the opportunity to learn to drive at high-speeds, then he or she may believe they can then drive faster then the speed limits and/or the other cars on the road, because they were "trained" to drive fast......I concur that new drivers need LOTS of training and that all newly licensed (or in the process of) should hit up the morgue for a lil one on one with some corpses..........but kids already think they are indestructible, IMHO if you teach them to drive on a performance course or what have you, that may encourage a problem rather then curtail it. Again though, this will be different depending on the kid, his or her upbrinigng, etc.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Ya know Bill, my ONLY disagreement, or rather dispute with your 2 experiences-for-kids is that if you give a "kid" the opportunity to learn to drive at high-speeds, then he or she may believe they can then drive faster then the speed limits and/or the other cars on the road, because they were "trained" to drive fast......I concur that new drivers need LOTS of training and that all newly licensed (or in the process of) should hit up the morgue for a lil one on one with some corpses..........but kids already think they are indestructible, IMHO if you teach them to drive on a performance course or what have you, that may encourage a problem rather then curtail it. Again though, this will be different depending on the kid, his or her upbrinigng, etc.
rott You are correct....My father taught me to drive with respect for the vehicle at any speed..he also wanted me to learn how to drive in a emergency situation..and be a defensive driver..the performance driving is a good however a defensive driving course would be a better choice first off, then a performance course after they learn how to correctly operate a motor vehicle.Just my 2 cents and also my father taught me how to do routine maint on my own car.....You would be shocked how many young drivers have no clue how to check the vital fluids in said vehicle.

I'm not sure if the state of washington does a defensive driver course or not.

On a side note when i got my first motorcyle My father made me go to cali for a advanced safety/ performance course.I know get off my
Old 10-01-2005, 03:29 AM
TECH Resident

i have to admit, teenage boys do generally speed way too much. i knew a lot of them in school. but i sometimes get upset that insurence companies look to much at the stats and not at the driver themselves. i think that yeah when a driver is just starting out they should have to pay a higher insureance because of the statistics taken from young driving accidents. but i think that over time, if a driver has showen self restraint and has had a clean driving record, they should get a little bit of a break. like in my case. i just turned 20 in late august and since i have been driving i have not gotten one moving violation, not one recklase driving, not one speeding ticket, heck the only time i was pulled over was when i had a for sale sign in the front window of my 81 camaro. the cop asked me to take it down and that was that. also that was my first car, it had a 350 out of a truck with flowmaster exhaust, edlebrock intake and a holley carb i rebuilt with one of those proform choke-less main bodies. the only thing i ever had on my record was when i backed my moms suv into some ladies car, and that is gone now. what i am trying to say is that i believe that people insurence adjuster should be the one desiding our rates and not a formula handed down by the corporet office. hope this doesn't offend the ladies of the group, but why do teenage women also pay high rates. as the statistics show, women are more likly to be affected by road rage, and, if i am not mistaken, next to drunk driving the majority of accedents are caused by road rage. just food for thought...
Old 10-01-2005, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jewbacca
why do teenage women also pay high rates. as the statistics show, women are more likly to be affected by road rage, and, if i am not mistaken, next to drunk driving the majority of accedents are caused by road rage. just food for thought...
Excellent question, and actually, in the last 5 years insurance rates for teenage girls have gone up in reflection of the fact that statistics were showing that girls were just as bad as boys when it came to speeding and accidents.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slowpokez28
rott You are correct....My father taught me to drive with respect for the vehicle at any speed..he also wanted me to learn how to drive in a emergency situation..and be a defensive driver..the performance driving is a good however a defensive driving course would be a better choice first off, then a performance course after they learn how to correctly operate a motor vehicle.Just my 2 cents and also my father taught me how to do routine maint on my own car.....You would be shocked how many young drivers have no clue how to check the vital fluids in said vehicle.

I'm not sure if the state of washington does a defensive driver course or not.

On a side note when i got my first motorcyle My father made me go to cali for a advanced safety/ performance course.I know get off my
I am ALL FOR a defensive driving course being required for new drivers. Seems silly that more places don't have them and require them.......typical I guess.

Cali DID have the best motorcycle riding classes for years & years, but it is my understanding, that now, you can get basically the same class in most States thanks to the Feds......I could be wrong but I thought I saw an ad for one shortly after I got up here and it was put on by the same group that has done the ones in Cali for ages.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

As a side note, the first half a day at the Proformance race school is ONLY street survival skills. You never even get over 60 mph. It's about threshold braking while turning,Or turning while in full ABS activation mode, keeping you eyes wayyy out in front of you, sudden unexpected turns etc. In short it's exactly what you guys are saying that's needed. It's only the last half of the day that you're allowed to start picking the speeds up, and only under the watchful eye of your ride along instructor.

I agree that you never know how a teenager would react to such training. Some would realize how much they don't know about car control, and would respect a car even more. Some would think that it qualifys them for the Daytona 500. I guess I still lean towards instilling some solid driving skills and hoping to convince them to take it to the track rather than just turning them loose and hoping for the best. I can see both sides to the coin though.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Racehead
As a side note, the first half a day at the Proformance race school is ONLY street survival skills. You never even get over 60 mph. It's about threshold braking while turning,Or turning while in full ABS activation mode, keeping you eyes wayyy out in front of you, sudden unexpected turns etc. In short it's exactly what you guys are saying that's needed. It's only the last half of the day that you're allowed to start picking the speeds up, and only under the watchful eye of your ride along instructor.

I agree that you never know how a teenager would react to such training. Some would realize how much they don't know about car control, and would respect a car even more. Some would think that it qualifys them for the Daytona 500. I guess I still lean towards instilling some solid driving skills and hoping to convince them to take it to the track rather than just turning them loose and hoping for the best. I can see both sides to the coin though.
That is nice about the schools, I didn't know that.........but if, and I do mean IF, I was a parent, I don't think I could stomach sending my kid off to that kind of school knowing all his/her friends would want to see the new "skills" afterwards. I am way to paranoid for that.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:08 AM
On The Tree

That is nice about the schools, I didn't know that.........but if, and I do mean IF, I was a parent, I don't think I could stomach sending my kid off to that kind of school knowing all his/her friends would want to see the new "skills" afterwards. I am way to paranoid for that.
HEHE when i came back from cali My freinds wanted to see me ride.I took my best freind for a ride that scared him to death and i was in control up to my skill level. he never asked for a show again.something about 160 on 2 wheels made him turn green. so you have a very valid point

and rott michele is hot for your butt so you never know we may see little rotts running around.

slowpokez28 damn Identity crisis again
Old 10-02-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Just buy HPTuners for their cars and set the speed limiter to 35mph and tell them they cant drive on the freeway! That will also clear up some of the highway traffic to.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NautyAngel
and rott michele is hot for your butt so you never know we may see little rotts running around.
Not just no but FU*K NO!!!!! I don't want and never will have kids of my own, EVER!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not just no but FU*K NO!!!!! I don't want and never will have kids of my own, EVER!!!
Now ... can you back that statement with medical records showing you been snipped? Never is a mighty long time if you arent 100% fixed

On a side note ... the whole subject seems a little different looking at it from a parents point of view, doesnt it

Yet another instance of IDENTY CRISIS! We should have just made a single screen name

Angi
Old 10-02-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rott Never say Never.

I said that once & I ended up with two of them & I wouldnt trade them for the world. Now I might sell them for the world but not trade them lol
Old 10-02-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Now ... can you back that statement with medical records showing you been snipped? Never is a mighty long time if you arent 100% fixed

On a side note ... the whole subject seems a little different looking at it from a parents point of view, doesnt it

Yet another instance of IDENTY CRISIS! We should have just made a single screen name

Angi
Well, it would take some digging, but yes, sadly I can. I worked at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power PLant for 2 years and spent quite a bit of time right up next to the spent fuel rods storage area, as well as other "hot" areas. I accidentally got my g/f preggo back when I was 21 (after I stopped working there) and the baby was still-born, early (there is more but I don't want to get into it)...............the Dr's recommended I not try to have more.......which is ok (other then what happened) since I do NOT want any kids of my own.
Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
Rott Never say Never.

I said that once & I ended up with two of them & I wouldnt trade them for the world. Now I might sell them for the world but not trade them lol
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't want em and I would do anything and everything in my power to keep it from happening if it were possible!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, it would take some digging, but yes, sadly I can. I worked at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power PLant for 2 years and spent quite a bit of time right up next to the spent fuel rods storage area, as well as other "hot" areas. I accidentally got my g/f preggo back when I was 21 (after I stopped working there) and the baby was still-born, early (there is more but I don't want to get into it)...............the Dr's recommended I not try to have more.......which is ok (other then what happened) since I do NOT want any kids of my own.

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't want em and I would do anything and everything in my power to keep it from happening if it were possible!
Helll by golly we discovered why your such a freak, it was radiation....damn i thought you were from another planet but that is for a different thread.

Now darrin before I had my first little monster i was dead-set against having kids. now look 4 kids later i might even want another one.(Ok somebody get a gun i'm nuts)
Old 10-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I once said never, now I have 2 and I can't imagine life without them. I honestly thought I knew what love and life was but it all changed when my kids were born.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Helll by golly we discovered why your such a freak, it was radiation....damn i thought you were from another planet but that is for a different thread.

Now darrin before I had my first little monster i was dead-set against having kids. now look 4 kids later i might even want another one.(Ok somebody get a gun i'm nuts)
Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I once said never, now I have 2 and I can't imagine life without them. I honestly thought I knew what love and life was but it all changed when my kids were born.
All my life people have been telling me how I will change my mind, or how I don't know what I am missing, but I do........I have NEVER EVER even remotely wanted a kid, I don't see that changing now, at 36+.........I know what I want to do with my life and raising a kid isn't on that list. More power to anyone who can and does (without raising a leech on society ) but it just isn't for me. Even women I have been madly in love with that have wanted kids have not been able to sway me. That is how I ended up breaking up with my 1st fiancee....she wanted kids, I didn't and she didn't wanna be a cop's wife and I was entering the police academy.........it just isn't in the cards for me and I like it that way.

Again, not saying kids are bad, just not anything I want to deal with is all.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well darrin nothing wrong with not having kids...your choice and i respect that.With me to be hosnest the surprise kid is what changed my mind.Nothing in world would have changed my mind otherwise. have parted ways with lots of women because i didnt want kids so i can see what your saying and truely do understand.
Beside that if you get the urge to hang out with a few monsters that you want wind them up then send em home call me......Just no guns or booz for arica
Old 10-03-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well darrin nothing wrong with not having kids...your choice and i respect that.With me to be hosnest the surprise kid is what changed my mind.Nothing in world would have changed my mind otherwise. have parted ways with lots of women because i didnt want kids so i can see what your saying and truely do understand.
Beside that if you get the urge to hang out with a few monsters that you want wind them up then send em home call me......Just no guns or booz for arica

He can borrow mine as well. But mine are Gearheads they love cars. So they would be out helping you working on your car lol

Quick Reply: Saw a somber reminder tonight of why you should respect speed