Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

this ticking is really bugging me, any help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question this ticking is really bugging me, any help?

well for a few weeks now i have had this ticking in my engine that is kinda starting to worry me. i don't think it as an exhaust leak because it sounds like it is coming from the drivers side upper valve cover or the intake right next to the valve cover, and it doesn't go away or get quite when the engine heats up. when i had my fan problems fixed i asked the guys there if they could pinpoint it. they said it was my injector. when they told me that i thought back to when it all started, it was right after i put a bottle of gumout intector cleaner in my tank. the mech. said that some injector cleaners have alcohol in them, and that can cause a ticking. they said to try lucas oil upper cylinder lub. after the tank that i put that in ran through it kinda quited down, but it is still there. what i am really afraid of is a bent push rod. is there any easy way of telling what is making the noise?
Old 10-29-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

ok, wow this has been on here since 4 and no one replied. can some one please help.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a lifter or injector, probablly an injector, just drive it.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

could be a couple of things.
1) theinjector
2) loose rocker arm

just use the long handled screw driver to check the rocker arm to se if the tick is coming fomr there. Put the blade f the screw driver on the valve cover and then litterally put your ear to the plastic handle of the screwdriver. Youll be able to tell right away if its the rocker arm.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:32 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for replying guys. natass, i did that about a month ago and the valves seem to sound fine. so that leads me to the injector. now since the is a tick, would that cause the km to retard the timing?
Old 10-29-2005, 03:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have to hear it but from what you are saying it is normal. I took my 95 back to the dealer four times those noises. Fixed them myself with new cam lifters and such
Old 10-29-2005, 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between injectors (that make clicking sounds normally) and the lifters & rocker arms on these car, they ALL make that kind of noise to some degree. Be happy it's not piston slap! You can unplug the inj 1-by-1 to see if it truly is one of them. (warning - that will usuall throw an SES code) And replace it if you want. But like Ellis said, it's normal, and Mike said, just drive it. Or not......

Quick Reply: this ticking is really bugging me, any help?