Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Range day

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Sounds like some nice stuff TJ.........I have (and use as my CCW gun) a 14+1 Para-Ordnance P-14 alloy frame.........with the extra mag I have 29 rounds of the old Black Talon (now called SXT) rounds that will jack someone up if need be. Nothing like what you did to that Coyote, but good enuf I reckon.

Can you still get the black talon's? my brother has a couple of those in each of his mags as his first shots.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rookiels1
Yeah I'm leaning more for the .45 I love the "you've been hit by a freight train" knock down power. The .357 mag is just a fun gun to plink away with. Interesting about the .40's not having the punch I thought they did. Do they tend to through and through?
Yeah, I was VERY disappointed with their performance overall, but they didn't over penetrate...at least not with the S&W 180 grain hollowpoints we were using.....funny thing is, when we carried the Colt .45's, we used FMJ rounds (ball ammo) and NEVER had over-penetration either. Weird eh?

40's are fine, just gotta usually either be an EXTREMELY good shot or pump enough rounds into the person/s you are shooting to make them effective (no guarantees but there never is regardless of the caliber)........of course, my first shooting was with a 9mm waaaaaay back in the day and I got 2 in the head, 2 in the chest and the only reason he died was cuz he bled out as we were in the sticks and the ambulance was far far away when the shooting happened...........I switched to .40 the next day I was back on active duty.
(SA .45's weren't approved at my first Dept & I couldn't find a DA .45 I liked enough to carry)
Old 12-04-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Can you still get the black talon's? my brother has a couple of those in each of his mags as his first shots.
I got a new box of em in September (Used to be called SXT - Supreme Expansion Talons) at Sam's on Airport Road....of course they know me and know I am ex-LE, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not...........can always try.

If not, ya just never know what a friend MIGHT do for ya..........for the right price.

edit:
The stuff I got is now called Winchester "Rangers" and the box is marked "Law Enforcement Ammunition" so I dunno if civilians can buy em.........won't know till ya try.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well for years I have carried a Black talon Hyrda-shock stagger One works best in winter one works best in the summer. Then again after two .45 rounds most don't get up
Old 12-04-2005, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Hmmm maybe I'll just get a couple boxes of .45 for the range when we go instead of a box of .40 and .45 I'm already sold on the .45's and I think I found a para-ordnance I like. And wade's has em there to rent. so maybe just rent all the .45's they have and shoot each one .

Yeah the ranger talons is the new name hmmmm guess we'll have to find out. And from what I read the only reason they were "LEO" was because of bad press that said they were "armor piercing" which they don't the press just went down that road because the military painted the tips of their armor piercing rounds black, so they assumed the same.

Next sunday a good time for everyone? they're open from 10am-6pm
Old 12-04-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Then again after two .45 rounds most don't get up

Hmmm maybe I'll just get a couple boxes of .45 for the range when we go instead of a box of .40 and .45 I'm already sold on the .45's and I think I found a para-ordnance I like. And wade's has em there to rent. so maybe just rent all the .45's they have and shoot each one .

Yeah the ranger talons is the new name hmmmm guess we'll have to find out. And from what I read the only reason they were "LEO" was because of bad press that said they were "armor piercing" which they don't the press just went down that road because the military painted the tips of their armor piercing rounds black, so they assumed the same.

Next sunday a good time for everyone? they're open from 10am-6pm
Josh, have you ever fired Single Action (SA) guns before? The (good) Para-Ordnance ones are SA and it is a HUGE adjustment from a standard DA (double action) handgun.......when I lateralled from the Sheriff's Dept to the PD I retired from (where they were carrying Colt 1911's) we had EIGHTY hours of range time to get us used to carrying, shooting, etc the SA since 99.9999% of U.S. Police Agencies don't allow the use/carrying of SA handguns........if you are thinking of getting a SA for CCW use, I strongly urge you to spend a LOT of time at the range before you EVER carry it AND I recommend getting some official training from a qualified instructor as well. They can be very deadly if you don't know WTF you are doing.

Just trying to look out for ya, not trying to demean you or make it sound like I think you are a clod.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Josh, have you ever fired Single Action (SA) guns before? The (good) Para-Ordnance ones are SA and it is a HUGE adjustment from a standard DA (double action) handgun.......when I lateralled from the Sheriff's Dept to the PD I retired from (where they were carrying Colt 1911's) we had EIGHTY hours of range time to get us used to carrying, shooting, etc the SA since 99.9999% of U.S. Police Agencies don't allow the use/carrying of SA handguns........if you are thinking of getting a SA for CCW use, I strongly urge you to spend a LOT of time at the range before you EVER carry it AND I recommend getting some official training from a qualified instructor as well. They can be very deadly if you don't know WTF you are doing.

Just trying to look out for ya, not trying to demean you or make it sound like I think you are a clod.

I've fired SA revolvers but not autos. I was looking more at the ParaOrd S14 LDA Limited .45 with a nice 14+1 mag I know a lot of guys like the cocked and locked 1911 carry style but I dunno. Most of my carry would be in a Coronado Leather Jacket with a concealed holster or inside the waist band behind the back. Heck I've got enough room back there for two full size .45's but I'm not gonna go all John Woo anytime.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

I've fired SA revolvers but not autos. I was looking more at the ParaOrd S14 LDA Limited .45 with a nice 14+1 mag I know a lot of guys like the cocked and locked 1911 carry style but I dunno. Most of my carry would be in a Coronado Leather Jacket with a concealed holster or inside the waist band behind the back. Heck I've got enough room back there for two full size .45's but I'm not gonna go all John Woo anytime.
So.. Do you have a CWP then?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poik
So.. Do you have a CWP then?

Not yet just need to get a day off when the everett office is open. And have the money. I don't have the gun yet and when I'm ready to get it I'll have the permit by then.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Not yet just need to get a day off when the everett office is open. And have the money. I don't have the gun yet and when I'm ready to get it I'll have the permit by then.
Don't you have to have a gun for your permit.....most permits list 1-3 guns that the person can carry......plus don't they require some sort of training program where you learn/get certified to use & carry YOUR gun??????
Old 12-05-2005, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

Don't you have to have a gun for your permit.....most permits list 1-3 guns that the person can carry......plus don't they require some sort of training program where you learn/get certified to use & carry YOUR gun??????
not in washington, it's a background check, fingerprinting, etc.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

not in washington, it's a background check, fingerprinting, etc.
Frightening
Old 12-05-2005, 12:26 AM
FormerVendor

Here in Oregon we have to have gone through some sort of NRA of shooting safety course. Plus you have to show proficiency with the handgun that is on your permit. I have several friends that are NRA instructors that teach the required safety courses here in Portland. As for me I have been shooting competively for years before the concealed carry permiting program was even introduced here in Oregon. I just got one of my buddies to sign off for me and all I had to do was to show profieciency with my 1911 and pay the fees. There is also the usual background checks and fingerprinting stuff.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tjwong
Here in Oregon we have to have gone through some sort of NRA of shooting safety course. Plus you have to show proficiency with the handgun that is on your permit. I have several friends that are NRA instructors that teach the required safety courses here in Portland. As for me I have been shooting competively for years before the concealed carry permiting program was even introduced here in Oregon. I just got one of my buddies to sign off for me and all I had to do was to show profieciency with my 1911 and pay the fees. There is also the usual background checks and fingerprinting stuff.
That's what I am talking about..........otherwise some morons will go out and buy Desert Eagle .50's for "CCW" guns.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

That's what I am talking about..........otherwise some morons will go out and buy Desert Eagle .50's for "CCW" guns.

But that's a totally practical handgun!
Old 12-05-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

I personally like this pistol:

<MOA accuracy
Old 12-05-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I personally like this pistol:

<MOA accuracy
Nice
Next time I need to stop a herd of charging water buffalo, I know what handgun to use.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Nice
Next time I need to stop a herd of charging water buffalo, I know what handgun to use.
Don't know how well you would fair, it's a single shot
Old 12-05-2005, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah and I dunno how functional that scope is I wouldn't want my eye anywhere near it when I shot it lol
Old 12-06-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Don't know how well you would fair, it's a single shot
Details details........don't bother me with details.
Yeah and I dunno how functional that scope is I wouldn't want my eye anywhere near it when I shot it lol
Yeah, I have never understood the concept of a scope on a handgun.