Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

defrost problem????

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default defrost problem????

Im at my in-laws in Marysville and if anyone nearby wants to try to take a stab at the problem, gimmie a call or somthing. I have had this problem for a bit now, but only remember it when I need it. My rear defrost when I turn it on will remain on for about 2 min, and then shut off, and after that I try to turn it back on but it wont turn on and then my power seat wont move for at least 5 min when I guess it resets... HELP!!!!!

Chris
360-632-3444

Ill be in marysville till sunday morning.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had this problem too

part of the problem is the seat/defroster is on a self resetting fuse. That is why you have to wait 5 minutes for the seat to work.

I took my car in under warranty to get it fixed. Now it doesn't shut off after a few minutes, but after about 5 minutes the light on the controls flashes. But by that time the window is usually defrosted already, so I just turn it off.

I think when I got the warranty work, the just replaced the whole HVAC control panel. I'm thinking for my current problem, they don't have a wire plugged in well or something, but haven't gotten around to looking.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn I am stupid

Last edited by Rottluver; 12-16-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
I've had this problem too

part of the problem is the seat/defroster is on a self resetting fuse. That is why you have to wait 5 minutes for the seat to work.

I took my car in under warranty to get it fixed. Now it doesn't shut off after a few minutes, but after about 5 minutes the light on the controls flashes. But by that time the window is usually defrosted already, so I just turn it off.

I think when I got the warranty work, the just replaced the whole HVAC control panel. I'm thinking for my current problem, they don't have a wire plugged in well or something, but haven't gotten around to looking.

Hope this helps.

it kinda helped but my warranty is long gone... i have hardly any cash to spare because of a new baby comin, so I kinda need a bit more help.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that issue with my car a couple of different times... luckily I had it fixed under warranty both times, and haven't had a problem since its been out of warranty.

Basically, it had something to do with the rear defrost switch being broken... it'd turn on for a little while, then shut off way before it should, and wouldn't come on again.

Both times, they had to replace the whole HVAC control panel (all three *****, defrost button, and all the stuff inside) since from what they said, the defrost button is integrated.

Replacing the whole HVAC control panel sounds pretty costly though if you don't have a warranty...
Old 12-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Damm, it seems I have the same problem.
Im glad I know what it is now
Old 12-16-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

I think my car does this every so often too, but I have not tried using the power seat after the defrost turns off. I just assumed it was some function that made it so you didn't leave the heater on for too long? Apparently not though lol
Old 12-16-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Poik
I think my car does this every so often too, but I have not tried using the power seat after the defrost turns off. I just assumed it was some function that made it so you didn't leave the heater on for too long? Apparently not though lol
yeah, it will turn off after maybe 10 min. or so, but when it turns off after 2 min, and your back window still has ice on it, and you try to turn the defroster back on and it doesn't (cause the fuse hasn't reset itself) then you know you have this problem. Try it next time you drive aound.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Okay I fixed it my self, all I did was replace the circut fuse thingie you know the silver 30amp 12 volt thingie, and it stays on but now it does like you said and the light flashes after a while, but I noticwed on I-5 just a bit ago, that when the light flashes for so long, like 20min, it draws lots of enerdy cause my headlights flicker with the flashing light above the defrost control...... uuugghh back to the dfrawing board, but again on the plus side, it defrosts my back window
Old 12-17-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

See if you can pick up a control pannel off of ebay.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I remember when I first got on this board, I had that problem, and my first search found how to fix it, but for some reason I didnt because I didn't think I'd be driving the car that much in the winter.

The only cheap and useful way to fix, is by placing a normal 30 amp circuit breaker on the drivers door panel fuse block. If that doesnt work, then just replace the circuit breaker w/ a 30 amp fuse.

Pic courtesy of this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=defrost

Last edited by Zymosis; 12-27-2005 at 12:58 AM.

Quick Reply: defrost problem????