Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

So much for my camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah those were me and my PINK bunny slippers...insurance called my brother yesterday and the dude said its guna be totaled...so good bye..so after the insurance $$$ and the $$$ for my camaro im going to be looking at some 01-02 SS's or WS6s....i think SS>WS6...and definitly a 6 speed...guess it might work better than i expected??
Old 12-22-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can swing it go for the '02 since it is guaranteed to have a LS6 intake, otherwise it was just the late '01s that had them. And performance wise there really are no differences between the SS and the WS6. When you get right down to it it is just your personal likes and dislikes. Remember, you WILL be modding the car.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Junkie

lol i WILL be modding the car seeing that i have pacesetter LTs in my room and a TSP y and hooker cat back in my basement yeah i was thinking abuot 02 just because it was the last year and its the 35TH ANNIVERSARY OMG!!!! but quick question: does the ws6 have a better suspension package then the SS?

Last edited by sidewayz28; 12-22-2005 at 11:44 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 12-27-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Truthfully, if you want the best handling 4th Gen (IMHO), get an '02 Firehawk with the 1LE suspension package & the DA shocks........I have an 02 WS6 and my buddy has one of those 'Hawks & the difference in handling, even after I upgraded most of my suspension is night & day.......they did those cars right.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by howierd42
If you can swing it go for the '02 since it is guaranteed to have a LS6 intake, otherwise it was just the late '01s that had them. And performance wise there really are no differences between the SS and the WS6. When you get right down to it it is just your personal likes and dislikes. Remember, you WILL be modding the car.
All '01s are guaranteed to get an LS6 intake too. There's just a smaller chance of an '01 having an LS6 block (only the late '01s had a chance at that) and a larger percentage of '02s had LS6 blocks.

My car is an early '01 (build date of Dec. '00) and it had an LS6 intake. It just has the two piece valve seals (which was odd to find out) like '98-'00s, and it has an LS1 block.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh, and if you're gonna do a lot of drag racing, I suggest an A4. I drag race an M6 and its frustrating at times. Ask people how many clutches and rear end configurations I've been through.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah ive read alot of about the rear not being good...im not planning on doing anything crazy to this car, just bolt ons really...and if i do plan on making the car a little more powerful H/C i would buy a STRONG *** rear and a good clutch etc.. that can hold more powere than i need...but i plan on going to the track maybe once or twice in the spring just to hopefully see the number 12.xx hit...and i know not to launch it hard, and i would definitly baby launch it i dont have the money/time to waste money on broken parts i would street race over drag...i think i wana get an SS just cause im in love with them basically..
Old 12-28-2005, 02:06 AM
TECH Junkie

oh and i wana get a M6 cause i learned how to drive stick on my first car (83 camaro) and i love stick theres nothing like it!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
yeah ive read alot of about the rear not being good...im not planning on doing anything crazy to this car, just bolt ons really...and if i do plan on making the car a little more powerful H/C i would buy a STRONG *** rear and a good clutch etc.. that can hold more powere than i need...but i plan on going to the track maybe once or twice in the spring just to hopefully see the number 12.xx hit...and i know not to launch it hard, and i would definitly baby launch it i dont have the money/time to waste money on broken parts i would street race over drag...i think i wana get an SS just cause im in love with them basically..
Pay attention here dude........my car is strictly bolt ons....LTs, duals, lid, etc......rear end went **** up in a HUGE way at under 32k miles......that was with a whopping 4 runs down the track, with an M6, not launching hard, street tires, etc. Don't think that babying it will keep the clutch or the rear end in one piece......too many people here and other places with horror stories (cars that never saw the track ever) who will tell you that a stock LS1 or LT1 can and will destroy those parts. As for hitting 12's with bolt ons and baby launches, I wouldn't hold my breath.......you gotta launch pretty good to get a stock or bolt on car into the 12's from the runs/time slips I have seen. More power to ya if you can, but I would be very surprised. Also, don't think that just because you aren't at the track (street racing) that your parts won't fail just as fast.

All that said, good luck in your search and enjoy whatever you get.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Junkie

well...hopefully luck is in my favor
Old 12-29-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Some people bust them stock, some don't. I am at about 37k and I've made... I dunno, 40 passes, some with drag radials. I've never launched it too hard (well, once, and I thought it was all over when that happened).
Old 12-29-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Amorget
Some people bust them stock, some don't. I am at about 37k and I've made... I dunno, 40 passes, some with drag radials. I've never launched it too hard (well, once, and I thought it was all over when that happened).
What was your best time (even with the hard launch)?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Amorget
And is your car a M6 or A4?

I guess I should have put a disclaimer in my post that it isn't written in stone that the rear ends and/or clutches will fail.....but it is a safe bet that trying to reach 12's with those 2 stock pieces will not be a happy situation more often then not.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:29 PM

There is a white one at Gilchrest on S Tacoma way, I will look at it tomarrow and tell ya how much they want.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

thatd would be awesome and i would appreciate that a ton! oh yeah im thinking of ordering a short stick, march UD pulleys, possibly a short shifter(have no idea yet) but lets say i have 300$ what else could i do to improve my car? suspension? bolt ons? any suggestions would be appreciated! and thanks for all the comments and help guys. i thank you a TON! times a bajillion
Old 12-29-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know how stuck you are on an SS, but my WS6 is for sale fully modded and has a killer suspension to boot Basically it just sits in my garage except for nice days in the summer. Let me know if you're interested
Old 12-29-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GEARHED
What was your best time (even with the hard launch)?
13.11 at 108(?) Mods - TSP Lid, catback, B&M Ripper, Spohn adj. LCAs poly/chrom I think it was a 2.1 60 ft on my Street Tires. The thing that kept me from 12s is my launching ability, but I don't want to replace my rear end. The rear makes no more noise then it did the day I bought it, but that was only 8k ago. I plan on buying a cover and welding the tubes, if it lasts that long. I can always put the cover on one of my Thirdgens.

The run that I tried to launch hard the car hooked, went about 2 feet, then bogged. I also red lighted... in a CCC event. That sucked.

Rott - Mine is a M6, which is the only reason I said something. ATs are known to last a lot longer (generally).
Old 12-29-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

thing is i bought my 83 camaro all done up and i wana start with a stock car and see what i can do.....kinda like my brother and his 93 cobra he had it stock, got bolt ons, cam, engine blew, now he has a S/C 331 stroker thats putting down about 520 rwhp on the STOCK REAR (hes getting a new tranny/rear very soon) but i kinda wana do that kinda deal...but thanks for the offer i would LOVE to see some pics!! post post!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Bah, get Bills car! I'd buy it in a second. I love love love his car!!
Old 12-30-2005, 04:27 AM
TECH Junkie

oh yea...i bet i can AFFORD that

Quick Reply: So much for my camaro