Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

so much 4 my son camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah its hard, I got a 84 Z28 with like 25k miles on it when I was 16. I had it for a week and blew the motor (spun a bearing) I had it pegged at the 105 speedo for quite a while. Probably why I always worry about motors blowing it was pretty tramatic. My parents fixed it and sold it and I had to drive a green on green viynl Plymouth Valore for about 4 months (I was a gear head then so it was torture) My parents did finally cosign with me on a new 89 Nissan pickup but I had to pay every cent, the insurance, gas, DP, payments everything or I didn't drive it. Still had my moments in the truck but I did learn something about cars and taking care of them in the Z28 motor blowup.

Although being a dumb 16 year old I thought it was unfair and it did damage my relationship with my stepfather quite a bit. The Z28 was given to me because of grades I waited for two years when he told me he'd give me one if I got 3.0 or better and did all my chores etc. So to have it gone after two weeks was pretty heartbreaking.

Anyways I'm glad the kid is OK, I'd help him buy a pre vortec Tahoe and put some 20's on it and call it good. Even a V6 camaro especially 95+ is a pretty powerful car and would be tempting to test it at 17. The Tahoe would still have a cool factor "Feel" strong but in reality is a turd in the performance department JMHO I wouldn't be too hard on the kid loosing the car is pretty bad, I know I did some stupid **** driving when I was that age...
Old 01-01-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son grew up around cars and lead foots so he chose a 76' Caddy ElDorado for a first car.
Goes fast (old V8)
Will crush tin cans (other cars)
Won't slide through a telephone pole (too heavy)

He's taking his time on a car which is a good thing knowing I would kill him again if he killed himself goofing off in a car. Kind of like growing up with guns - you teach them early the respect they demand and power they deliver.

Course I'd freak like you if he had such a close call but wouldn't take the keys from him - just some constant conversations (two word ones) to remind him he isn't invincible and neither are cars.

You might find picking up the V6 and letting him convert it over will instill a couple of things: he put the hard work, money, time to fix it all including understanding every nut and bolt. That usually winds up with a kid who will cut it loose from time to time but not in place where its dangerous or will put a tiny scratch in the paint. Understanding the entire car from top to bottom is vital even when you pull an Ellis sleeping while driving around a corner move - he'll walk away and rebuild again
Old 01-01-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

graham? where the hell is that? anyways if you ever come to seattle message me, im 17 too.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

graham is south of south hill which is south of puyallup
Old 01-02-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

My first car a 1992 Camaro RS w/ the V-6 and a AT. That was more then enough to get me into trouble. Almost wrecked on a highway onramp the first wet day I was driving the car. I'd say stick with a V-6 for awhile, the V-8s get out of hand very very fast...
Old 01-02-2006, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Default Part of growing up

Thank god he is OK. I don't know how many times I have worried about my sons being out driving at night. One of my sons drive a v6 Mustang and I get worried that it has too much power for him. My other son drives a 4cyl S10 and I get worried. At that age they can be very agressive drivers (and I'm not the best example). The good news is that your son learned a very valuable lesson that he will remember for a long time.

Let your son rebuild the car, he will appreciated it more.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

GetIn&Go you should thank god that he didnt die or have some one else in the car. Theres a kid at school who crashed his stealth and kill his buddy. Cars can be replaced but your son cant. You shouldnt feel like the bad guy its a good leson for him. I only hope I dont make the same mistake with my car or my dads im only 16.

Last edited by 67maro; 01-02-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

please dont drive your car stupidly!Find a safer place to take your eagerness out at.Poss a drag strip that is professionally operated.Thats what our plan was but he couldnt wait.Knowing & seeing what you now know take advantage of it & drive very very carefully.Dont try to prove something even as innocent as passing someone!These cars are lethal.....dont let your dad go through that.... its horrible!!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Second Club

Well...........thank God he is okay! That didn't sound like a little mess up......it could have been way worse. Now he'll be able to get another one later down the line if he desires, or maybe he'll buy a Hummer just in case!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man, Thank God he is okay! You are doing the right thing! His wrecking that car will slow him down a bite or perhaps make him a little wiser. He will at least think the next time he wants to speed a litte.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GetIn&Go
please dont drive your car stupidly!Find a safer place to take your eagerness out at.Poss a drag strip that is professionally operated.Thats what our plan was but he couldnt wait.Knowing & seeing what you now know take advantage of it & drive very very carefully.Dont try to prove something even as innocent as passing someone!These cars are lethal.....dont let your dad go through that.... its horrible!!
I wont I rember when I lost a close friend I reacted just like your son did when he lost his car but I wish the car woulda been totaled instead of her killed. My school is kinda famous for having the most kids die a year so trust me I dont want to put anybody threw that again. Ive gone to the drag track many times its only a half hour away so this is where I will probably go fast at. What are you plans with the car?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Glad to hear your son is okay.

My son gets his drivers lic. this Friday whole new chapter in the being a dad book right?
Old 01-02-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
Glad to hear your son is okay.

My son gets his drivers lic. this Friday whole new chapter in the being a dad book right?
So, he gets the SS as his daily, right?

Quick Reply: so much 4 my son camaro