Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Bird knocked out of flight :( (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K T.A.R.A.
Sorry to hear bout ur accident, aleast ur ok and insured... anyways whats gap insurance? maybe i should get some if i dont have any already...lol thanks
Most insurance companies offer it (some manditory like USAA) where if what you owe is more than what its worth, teh difference is paid and they aren't waiting for you to come up with the difference.

The scam to this is more cars are getting 'reconditioned' and resold so the lender makes out twice on the payout.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry to hear about the car, but at least there is no permanent damage

A friend of mine got in a wreck last week....head on on I-5 with a F-350 or something like that. Anyways, she's lucky to be alive, and was able to escape with a broken arm (upper arm....with pins) a broken jaw in 2 places (now wired shut) and a good gash on her head. But like I said, she's lucky to be alive.

I'd sell you my car too. I wasn't planning on selling it until later this summer after I get into my new house, but maybe you won't be in a hurry to buy either.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah i have GAP coverage on it. It's a good thing I looked at my policy a few months ago and noticed they forgot it. But I guess the adjuster thinks it might be fixable? (wtf?!) we'll see... it's at ARA collision now in shoreline.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rookiels1
Yeah i have GAP coverage on it. It's a good thing I looked at my policy a few months ago and noticed they forgot it. But I guess the adjuster thinks it might be fixable? (wtf?!) we'll see... it's at ARA collision now in shoreline.
Josh, their adjusters *always* think they can be fixed. Just have estimates on replacing the motor, tranny, frame, dash, center console and body. Tell the adjuster that mans the phones (not the ones that come out) what it would cost.

Its how we convinced them a widdle Kia Rio actually *was* totalled. The guy that came out had a whole 3 months of "estimating" cars
Old 01-13-2006, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Josh, their adjusters *always* think they can be fixed. Just have estimates on replacing the motor, tranny, frame, dash, center console and body. Tell the adjuster that mans the phones (not the ones that come out) what it would cost.

Its how we convinced them a widdle Kia Rio actually *was* totalled. The guy that came out had a whole 3 months of "estimating" cars
The adjuster for my insurance company (progressive) thoguht it could be fixed at $10,000 so I think she's estimating high on my car for value.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

The adjuster for my insurance company (progressive) thoguht it could be fixed at $10,000 so I think she's estimating high on my car for value.
I think I know who she is - the regional adjuster for the area out of Bellevue? Yeah. I pointed out over the phone you can't fix a door frame with a hammer. Along with a few other things that would require *replacement*. After she got the pictures the didn't know crap bout cars field adjuster, she totalled it.

Just keep up with her. It will take about a week of phone calling but hang in there, if you want it totaled she will listen to you because YOU know cars, they know paperwork.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

lol, yeah, "Anything is fixable." - So sayeth the Farmer's insurance adjuster who quoted the damages to my car at $1,742. Other shops have quoted me $6k+ for "visual inspection only"
Old 01-13-2006, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GEARHED
I think I know who she is - the regional adjuster for the area out of Bellevue? Yeah. I pointed out over the phone you can't fix a door frame with a hammer. Along with a few other things that would require *replacement*. After she got the pictures the didn't know crap bout cars field adjuster, she totalled it.

Just keep up with her. It will take about a week of phone calling but hang in there, if you want it totaled she will listen to you because YOU know cars, they know paperwork.
Yeah originally she was talking about having the total loss written up and done by sunday.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man that sucks! Sorry to hear about that.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

If they do repair it I'm gonna see about finding out how much they're getting the hood/airbox/lid for and try and get a WS6(or WS9), WS6 Airbox, and a lid to replace the originals.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

So sorry to hear about this, Josh. That really sucks and I wish you well.

With the mileage you told me that was on that car I can not see them not totalling it. There is NO WAY they are going to fix that for less than what it is worth.

I have to stand with Eric and Amy on this. Don't get the lawyer and hold out for all you can. I had to deal with an insurance company over a Cadillac (not an accedent but a rebuilt engine that exploded when I was in the car). They wanted to settle for less than what I just paid for the rebuild and I just laughed at them. I ended up getting what I wanted and more but I had to wait them out. Keep track of all your expenses, lost wages, medical bills, perscriptions (make sure you get the good stuff), and car rental fees.

And I am very glad you are ok. I know you don't feel ok right now but you are still living and breathing.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:05 AM
10 Second Club

If they do repair it I'm gonna see about finding out how much they're getting the hood/airbox/lid for and try and get a WS6(or WS9), WS6 Airbox, and a lid to replace the originals.
What is a WS9 hood? Never heard of one!
Old 01-14-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00Vette
What is a WS9 hood? Never heard of one!
It's an "outlaw" hood with 3 inch inlets rather than the stock 2 inch. Personally I think they look stupid. Just my .02.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

WS9 is close to a stock WS6, but with Air Extractors, like a Firehawk hood. VFN is now making them as I understand.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Hey dude, sorry about the crash but as pointed out many times, at least you are ok, more or less.

The car looks pretty bad but who knows till a reputable place looks at it. Being a '99, I can't see any insurance company paying $10k to fix it. At "excellent" condition (retail value) your car books out at 12k and that is with only 80,000 miles, $10k with 140,000 on it.......the rule of thumb IIRC is 80% or more and they total it out. Meaning that if the damage is 80% or more of the value of the car, it gets totaled. I have seen an identical NBM '99 or '00 6 spd non-WS6 on Hwy 99 for the last several months for sale if you decide to go that route again.

For reference, my buddy's '02 Hawk had a nasty front ender/side collision that looked similar to yours in damage and the cost to repair it was $18k.

Sounds like you are getting some good advice on this, definitely see a chiropractor as you will be all out of whack from the impact and stiffening up just prior......they are worth their weight in gold and then some. Salvage as much of the parts off that car as you can to, at the very worst, sell off later and get some spending cash.

Feel better amigo.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hey josh just saw it now, truly sorry bro. Glad you are ok

I know how it feels like I have 6 wrecked cars so far, the most important thing is your health, the rest is easy
Old 01-14-2006, 03:17 AM
Launching!

Damn Josh, sorry to hear and see the damage. I hope everything works out

Let me know if you need anything.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottluver
The car looks pretty bad but who knows till a reputable place looks at it. Being a '99, I can't see any insurance company paying $10k to fix it. At "excellent" condition (retail value) your car books out at 12k and that is with only 80,000 miles, $10k with 140,000 on it.......the rule of thumb IIRC is 80% or more and they total it out. Meaning that if the damage is 80% or more of the value of the car, it gets totaled.
True and from the pictures there is no way to know all the engine/tranny/frame damage which is getting into the "its totalled" part.

Sounds like you are getting some good advice on this, definitely see a chiropractor as you will be all out of whack from the impact and stiffening up just prior......they are worth their weight in gold and then some. Salvage as much of the parts off that car as you can to, at the very worst, sell off later and get some spending cash.

Feel better amigo.
This is where guys just don't get it. Your neck and spine took a hit you can't see but as soon as you start hurting, it means something is very wrong. Don't wait it out. Not unless you want to end up in 10 years with a bad back and constant headaches. Woo the fun you can have then! NOT

Progressive (and many other companies) will not let you salvage parts unless you pay the note-holder for them, usually full pop cost. There is some guy in Oregon that used to advertise here cars that were totalled then he would buy them and part them out on the forum. Its gotten out of hand but its the insurance biz as usual. The best anyone could hope for is finding someone with a vehicle vendor license to track the VIN and where the note-holder will send it or release it for re-sale.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by howierd42
It's an "outlaw" hood with 3 inch inlets rather than the stock 2 inch. Personally I think they look stupid. Just my .02.

There's two versions the regular which is the WS6 with firehawk extractors and then there's the outlaw version.

WS9 Outlaw

WS9
Old 01-14-2006, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Gonna go see a doctor or chiropractor today to have them look at my neck... Also been having a hard time keeping my attention and concentration on stuff. When I was at work yesterday I'd get distracted or forget what I was writing down, grabbing, etc... Could just be the shell shock of the days events or could be something else gonna try and get a lil more rest before I go.

Quick Reply: Bird knocked out of flight :( (56k beware)