Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight upgrade

I just ditched my sealed beams and installed the Eurolites retrofit units with H7 bulbs. While the lights aren't as yellow as stock, I'm not very happy with the way they spread on the road. They seem to be more focused, and I believe that's because of the housing lens that has a different glass pattern compared to the sealed beams.

The Eurolite kit came with what they call "xenon charged" bulbs which for me is a bunch of BS. They're just whiter/blue and while it looks ok, they don't project well.

Have anyone here done this upgrade and/or is using the Silvanya Silverstar bulbs? I've heard the silverstars are good but at $20 a pop I would like to gather some opinions first.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

i dunno iv been wanting to do this mod. how much it cost?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Silverstarts are excellent. I had them on my IROC vert and it was NIGHT AND DAY difference. They're a very bright, very even light that spreads out well. . . I actually paid $50 for my set before tax and it was the best $50 I ever spent.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I run HID lights so I am not sure I would notice a change for the better.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my low beams suck! I want to change them also, but I don't want no xenon stuff, I just want better view
Old 05-07-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I run HID lights so I am not sure I would notice a change for the better.
You run true HIDs with ballasts, projectors and everything on the T/A? I am thinking about building a true HID kit for the stock flip ups. I've read a bunch about those and it seems the Audi and TSX units are the best. The challenge is to mount them in place to a clean look.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WS6freak
You run true HIDs with ballasts, projectors and everything on the T/A? I am thinking about building a true HID kit for the stock flip ups. I've read a bunch about those and it seems the Audi and TSX units are the best. The challenge is to mount them in place to a clean look.
Yup.......I do.

I didn't design or construct it, just gave my buddy the $$ who did the actual design and fabrication.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Pics of the results and his contact info please!!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Pics of the results and his contact info please!!
Dunno if he is still doing them, he said they were a pain in the *** and he didn't make ANY money after all was said and done.

I will ask him if he is still up for it and get some pics of my lights for ya later on today.............FYI, parts alone cost $600.......dunno what he charges on top of that.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've considered putting HIDs in the corvette when I get it.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

"Xenon-charged" most likely means that is the gas used in the bulb, I don't get how that is BS...? (Instead of halogen)

I have SilverStars and it is night and day difference. But the difference between SilverStars and real HIDs is also night and day.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Poik
"Xenon-charged" most likely means that is the gas used in the bulb, I don't get how that is BS...? (Instead of halogen)

I have SilverStars and it is night and day difference. But the difference between SilverStars and real HIDs is also night and day.
From what I've noticed, a lot of that is dependant on the housing the bulb/capsule sits in. Right now I have a sealed beam 4656 silverstar on the right side of my bird and a standard sylvania 65w H9 style bulb in a projector housing on the left and the projector looks a million times better because it focuses all the light exactly where you need it. None of it bleeds off out to the sides and up.

However if I had the cash I'd ditch both for a bi-xenon HID setup. Highs and lows. awwwwwww, yeah.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Dunno if he is still doing them, he said they were a pain in the *** and he didn't make ANY money after all was said and done.

I will ask him if he is still up for it and get some pics of my lights for ya later on today.............FYI, parts alone cost $600.......dunno what he charges on top of that.
Thanks for the effort, I would like to see those pics indeed. I can get the parts for less than that, well it all depends on brands and where you get them.

What I'm thinking about doing is having the stock headlamp wires to activate a high amperage relay that would fire up the ballasts for the HIDs. This way the switch is protected from that first surge necessary to fire up the xenon D2S bulbs. PM me his contact info if possible and thanks in advance!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the effort, I would like to see those pics indeed. I can get the parts for less than that, well it all depends on brands and where you get them.

What I'm thinking about doing is having the stock headlamp wires to activate a high amperage relay that would fire up the ballasts for the HIDs. This way the switch is protected from that first surge necessary to fire up the xenon D2S bulbs. PM me his contact info if possible and thanks in advance!
I will take the pics tonight but I talked to him and since he is in the middle of getting ready to get married, he is pretty swamped. Said it would be after August before he could seriously sit down and talk turkey.

Also, that using the stock headlamp wires thing sounds like what he did.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok, just go to:

http://community.webshots.com/user/rottluver

and click on Page 2, "HID Lights" for a couple pics. Not the greatest of pics but I feel like hell and the sun was setting in the way of the pictures dammit.

These were his 2nd run at them, after doing a set for his own car. He is possibly looking to upgrade them asthetically IF he does any more.........you can PM me for his info, he said it was ok. But like I said, it wouldn't be until after August at the earliest.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Hey thanks Rott! Those pics are pretty good. I can even see where he installed the ballast on one of the passenger side pics. Those custom made plates must have been a pita though. I bet you love those huh, super white light, nice cut off, etc.... selaed beams =
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Hey thanks Rott! Those pics are pretty good. I can even see where he installed the ballast on one of the passenger side pics. Those custom made plates must have been a pita though. I bet you love those huh, super white light, nice cut off, etc.... selaed beams =
He busted his *** designing them and making them, especially considering it was entirely from scratch......and yeah, the light diff is amazing. The route from his old house to my old house was pure canyon driving, all curves, no street lights and I was honestly ASTONISHED at the difference....never once had to turn on my high beams for the entire trip home............plus these have cut offs, unlike some mass produced "HID" kits coughtbyrnecough so they don't blind drivers and what not. The plates were definitely the toughest thing he did, all that hand work cutting trimming, etc. UGH!!!

I tried to get better pics but some of em came out fuzzy (my photo taking skillz suck) but I tried to show the splicing into the stock wiring and what not. It was a very simple job in terms of electrical stuff.......the bitch was the plates and getting the lights set back far enough so the lights/lids would open and close normally........and yeah, the extra white light rocks socks.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

I want
Old 05-09-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

You know... I think if I have a machine shop fabricate some plates I might come up with a kit for birds. The problem will be cost though, it would be an expensive kit.

But once the support plates problem is solved, everything else is just easy wiring.