Old 05-23-2006, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet... curious how that 350Z did
Old 05-24-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by howierd42
I can host a vid or some photos for you Boyce if you still need a server. How big are we talking?
400+meg Its an almost 50 minute incar and I am still trying to get it off of the Digital video recorder. Fro some reason my USB port wont recognise the camera.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rookiels1
sweet... curious how that 350Z did
Motor blew about 20 miles into the run. And I only would have given it another 20 miles from where the motor let go to where the tires would have skinned themselves. Something about 4* of negative camber at a standstill and then planning a 200+ mph run said they werent going to hold.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Poik
Those pictures are badass. That Camaro does not look like it goes 200+mph! I was wondering if anybody had any pics of the '53 or so Studebaker that ran last year and wrecked?
I'll have to dig them up but I have a ton of the "bitchen stude" pictures.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

I can host it if you zip it and email it to me once you get it off the camera.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Most people would be surprised just what it takes to get a car to run that fast, that far, SAFELY! Racehead got his mostly stock WS6 up to 172, which is phoenominal. But to roll along at 190+ for 100 miles takes a TON of power, aero work, & suspension.

I rolled thru a sweeper at 145 in my car, and it's a freaking rush. I hope to actually run my car in one of these races someday.....at a MUCH slower pace! Once you see an ORR car like Jeffs or Boyces, you start to understand the dedication these guys have (not to mention the thick wallet & big cajones!)
yeah, i used to keep updated of all the racing results from previous years on the silver state classic website
i still want to go volunteer for one of the races.. i just really dislike driving across that part of the nevada desert

running the 120 class or so would be fun though
Old 05-24-2006, 07:34 AM
10 Second Club

So how is Lem, Boyce? Is he back in the game? And I take it that was Todd's Camaro?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Motor blew about 20 miles into the run. And I only would have given it another 20 miles from where the motor let go to where the tires would have skinned themselves. Something about 4* of negative camber at a standstill and then planning a 200+ mph run said they werent going to hold.
hehe interesting
Old 05-24-2006, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Here is a piece that popular hot rodding did on the pony express run where Lem Lollaver's 53 Stud crashed:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eve...2phr_mountain/

Jeffy'
Old 05-24-2006, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jeffyvette
Here is a piece that popular hot rodding did on the pony express run where Lem Lollaver's 53 Stud crashed:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eve...2phr_mountain/

Jeffy'
That's a great article about the PE 130 where I navigated for Boyce. You can even see us on the right side of the second picture - Boyce is in the red shirt with the white cap and I'm behind him.

The Dart in the first picture passed us when we were doing 150 MPH along with a 1963 Ford Galaxy. All the cars got bunched up in the rain shower we went into at 150 MPH - on slicks - talk about pucker power! It turns out that we were passing the Galaxy in the spot where the Viper blew its engine and laid a strip of oil down the center of the road. We didn't know it until we got to the turnaround and Bill (Racehead) asked us if we slipped on the oil. When he described where it was, we knew that is where we passed.

The other drama was when we got to the turnaround I jumped out to check tire temperatures. When I got to the back of the car, it was dripping rear gear oil in huge sheets. I looked at the rear end and there was a steady stream of oil from the pinion to the ground and a lake forming under it. I turns out that the heat expanded the aluminum pinion carrier and the seal pushed out because the vent tube had a kink. We managed to get the seal back in and filled the rear with anything we could get our hands on – about half a pint of gear oil, some synthetic oil and some ATF. I had made arrangements to have a box of tools and spares stored at the turnaround just for a case like this.

The one thing the article doesn’t mention about the crickets was the smell. They were the nastiest smelling thing I’ve ever come across – a lot like rotted fish. When we got home the first thing my wife said was “What is that smell in my truck?” because the race tires were inside the Suburban. It took hours of pressure washing the bottom of the truck and trailer to get rid of the smell.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

It would appear from the results of a lot of this that "Obvious Guy" would say most cars are not able to be built up for a sustained run of 175 MPH+ regardless of the amount of money. I am sure there are several that make it through unscathed, but talk about heart-wrenching to blow up (or out) only part way thru after spending what has to be 10's of thousands (conservative estimate I am sure) of dollars to prepare for one race.

BTW, awesome pics..........that Ferarri is and Big red always makes me go WOW to think that an almost 40 yr old car can do this kinda thing.......just wow!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

It IS pretty amazing what you have to do to your car to make it reliable under sustained high speeds. Like everyone else I always wanted more glamor parts like a new 408 with a big cam etc. but I was always having to spend my cash on $800 radiators and the like to make sure my car would finish the race My 1st run with no diff cooler clued me right in

In the end it doesn't matter how your run goes, if you cross the finish line you've had a GREAT day
Old 05-24-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Racehead
In the end it doesn't matter how your run goes, if you cross the finish line you've had a GREAT day
You guys have no idea how right that is.

When Jeff and I finished I was excited as hell. We knew we were REALLY close to our targets but when the car shut down in the hot pits and we were sitting there for a minute it dawns on you that the car is in one piece, you are in one piece and we are sitting in the FINISHING area. THAT is a good day.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Addict

Well done gentlemen! Can't wait for the vids!

I still have Bill's 170mph run on my HD at home.

And Boyces sweet vid of his rollcage!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Racehead
It IS pretty amazing what you have to do to your car to make it reliable under sustained high speeds. Like everyone else I always wanted more glamor parts like a new 408 with a big cam etc. but I was always having to spend my cash on $800 radiators and the like to make sure my car would finish the race My 1st run with no diff cooler clued me right in

I still think about the trip cross-country in a 70' RoadRunner hauling 1200# trailer doing a sustained 100+ just to get through Kansas in the shortest time possible. We almost stripped the motor from everything fun but damn if we didn't make it.

A run in a more 'controlled' setting like PE has to be a great rush. Better than sex
Old 05-26-2006, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

to the top
Old 05-26-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GEARHED
A run in a more 'controlled' setting like PE has to be a great rush. Better than sex
No reflection on John, but that must be some bad sex you have had in the past (pre-John) cuz after last night........going 40,000,000,000,000 MPH would not be better.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rottluver
No reflection on John, but that must be some bad sex you have had in the past (pre-John) cuz after last night........going 40,000,000,000,000 MPH would not be better.
Is your arm worn out?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko
Is your arm worn out?
Nope but my hips are sore as hell.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

I see, you can do that but not wash your car. I guess you do have your priorities squared away.

Quick Reply: Hauling the freaking mail