Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

hey! can some of you microsoft guys help me get this job?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hey! can some of you microsoft guys help me get this job?

well just like the title says. today i had an inteview with Joe Djorgee and Joel Robinson who are working on Forza 2. i am pretty sure it went well, but any help would be appreciated (spl). the job is for a game tester, which i don't have any experiense in, but i know i can do the job well if given a chance. thanks for any help at all.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh. I thought that car looked familiar. I noticed the dark tail lights and looked at it again.

It was in HANDICAP lane on my way between buildings to grab some coffee.

Best of luck.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

well if you'd have looked in the front of my car you'd have seen my handycapped placard. one of the many perks of 10 knee surgeries and a plate in my leg, lol. but yeah, i'm realy hoping this works out, cause it'd be a great oppertunity.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you get this job be ready to work your tail off. An old friend of mine was a game tester for MS game studios. The hours he worked were ungodly. How his wife put up with those hours is beyond me. Sometimes he would work until 1 or 2 am come home to shower, sleep for 2 hours and then head back in to the shop.

Oh, wait, now I remember how she put up with it. He made a ton of money.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

the hours are deffinetly not a problem, cause its not physically hard work. its either this or putting 100lbs panes of glass for 8 hours a day, and not be able to sit down, which for me with my knees is a living hell. theres also the last alternative of me and my mom being evicted... lets just hope it doesn't come to that, lol.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Good luck, man... I was loaned out on project from my department to the game testing department here at my office, and man... it was crappy work, with really long hours, as Boyce said. I'm glad I don't do that stuff full time... but, there's lots of people who like it and have done it for years. Hopefully you're one of those types.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor
Good luck, man... I was loaned out on project from my department to the game testing department here at my office, and man... it was crappy work, with really long hours, as Boyce said. I'm glad I don't do that stuff full time... but, there's lots of people who like it and have done it for years. Hopefully you're one of those types.
How can you NOT like playing games for a living? Where do I sign up?
Old 09-15-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottluver
How can you NOT like playing games for a living? Where do I sign up?
The problem is, you don't get to play the game... playing the game for enjoyment is left up to the game evaluation department, and yeah, that's a cushy job.

Game testing goes something like this... Enter level, run into every wall in the level, jump against every wall in the level, run in circles trying to get the game to glitch, etc. It's terribly boring and tedious...

Better than cleaning outhouses though, I admit that.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

The problem is, you don't get to play the game... playing the game for enjoyment is left up to the game evaluation department, and yeah, that's a cushy job.

Game testing goes something like this... Enter level, run into every wall in the level, jump against every wall in the level, run in circles trying to get the game to glitch, etc. It's terribly boring and tedious...

Sounds like how my actions work when I am playing most games anyways.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If only it were that mundane.

I'm not a tester, but they certainly have an important job and kept busy all throughout the project.

I prefer staying on the development side, and everyone has a great respect for them. By the way, we're speaking of just the infantry guys here. The folks further up the rung (SDET) play a CRITICAL role in the production in the product and often stray far from 'playing' the game and jump straight into code.

NOT A SLOUCH JOB. Although the infantry positions may appear to be at times.

Last edited by Tylerb59; 09-15-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tylerb59

If only it were that mundane.

I'm not a tester, but they certainly have an important job and kept busy all throughout the project.

I prefer staying on the development side, and everyone has a great respect for them. By the way, we're speaking of just the infantry guys here. The folks further up the rung (SDET) play a CRITICAL role in the production in the product and often stray far from 'playing' the game and jump straight into code.

NOT A SLOUCH JOB. Although the infantry positions may appear to be at times.
Oh no, not a slouch job at all... like I said, there are guys out there who are really good at bug testing and do enjoy it. I don't envy their job though... It's tough, tedious work that I didn't like doing for 60+ hours a week. Did for 4 weeks, and I was glad to get back to my own department.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

hey guys great news. i talk to the lady at volt who is the recruter for the position. she told me that all they wanted to do was check to see if they have the room, and if they do i got the job!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

well, i just heard back finally from the volt recruiter about the position. i guess that there really wasn't any job after all. even though they were conducting interviews, there was a freeze on the hiring of entry level positions. so i guess i won't be getting a job. it just sucks how they would make ya think that there is a chance, but really there isn't. anyway, if anyone knows of any jobs that are open, let me know, and i will e-mail me resume to see if i'm qualified. thanks for listening to my semi-rant, lol.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

by job openings, i ment anywhere, not just MS.