Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Saw a new '07 Shelby Cobra in person today

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Saw a new '07 Shelby Cobra in person today

Went into Harris Ford (I know, ripoff central) cuz I saw they had a new Shelby Mustang in the showroom and I wanted to see the price and it turns out that they have 3, 1 hugger orange coupe and 2 verts (one black & one white).......the MSRP was $45k on the coupe (didn't bother looking at the verts).....after talking to the sales dude for a bit he came clean and told me "there is a small markup on these" so I bit and said how much? He said the markup is $35,000.00 and there is little to no wiggle room!!!!!!!! 80 freaking grand for a Mustang? Not just no but HELLLLLFUCKNO!!!!!! He went on and on about how awesome they are, best bang for the buck, etc but c'mon, it is still a Mustang no matter how you slice it and 80k is ridiculous!!!!!! For the same price or a little less you can get a friggin Z06!!! And that, without a doubt, is a FAR better car in every aspect I can think of unless you HAVE to have a backseat, tiny as they might be.

All I know is that there is no way in hell I could ever see myself paying 80 grand for a Mustang no matter how awesome it MIGHT be.......and from the initial magazine tests, it can't outrun (or outhandle or out-anything) a Z51 C6 with the stock LS2!!!!! Wasn't even the Z06!!!

The interior was no better then the standard Mustang GT and I was sooooo not impressed!!!!!

Just thought y'all would get a kick outta this.

Go GM!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

80,000 dollars? I would rather save 30,000 and pick up a C6, or maybe 45,000 and get a used Z06 and wipe the floor with it.
80,000, 80,000 80,000 are you kidding me!?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

80k is outrageous. Some guy around here had one and it overheated on him 3 times in like a week(so I hear)... so he traded it in.

I would take a C6 Z06 over one of those anyday... no question...
Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

I have seen the new Shelbys at shows but, like you, I was not impressed. And there is NO WAY I would pay 80k for one of those things. A C6 would be parked in my driveway first. WTF is Ford thinking with that price. And "best bang for the buck?" No F'ing way, dude. I think I would have had to educate that salesman about a thing or two.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Without the Markup it would be a decent car for the money....
Old 01-16-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

See the dealer markup is not Fords fault, that is the dumb *** dealers, That markup hurts Ford and GM alike. There was a Fully loaded Tahoe at dealer around here...in Bremerton...on auto center way...it was 46,000 something window sticker. The second sticker read 56,000...10,000 markup on a Tahoe? Eat me...

I would say 45,000 is a fair price for the car as it would fit between the GT and C6.

Last edited by My1st Truck; 01-16-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My Secretarys husband has been looking for one but the $35K dealer mark up is killing him! They have five of them at Bickford if you guys want to go look

NICE cars but for the price......
Old 01-17-2007, 03:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FiveLiterRiceEater
Without the Markup it would be a decent car for the money....

I agree,

the markup is one of the things that killed the GTO,
even tho it was only a 3 year modle form the get go,
they should have been able to sell more if half the dealers in the us weren't adding a 30% markup
Old 01-17-2007, 06:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
See the dealer markup is not Fords fault, that is the dumb *** dealers, That markup hurts Ford and GM alike. There was a Fully loaded Tahoe at dealer around here...in Bremerton...on auto center way...it was 46,000 something window sticker. The second sticker read 56,000...10,000 markup on a Tahoe? Eat me...

I would say 45,000 is a fair price for the car as it would fit between the GT and C6.

I agree wit dat
Old 01-17-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
My Secretarys husband has been looking for one but the $35K dealer mark up is killing him! They have five of them at Bickford if you guys want to go look

NICE cars but for the price......
If he is really serious about buying he should check into an auto brokerage. They can usually get you a car or truck for about $1K over invoice and usually charge around $500.
Also If you really want one find one from a dealer and dont mind a drive check out dealers where the economy is shot. There a few places in the US, Seattle is not one of them.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rottluver
He went on and on about how awesome they are, best bang for the buck, etc but c'mon, it is still a Mustang no matter how you slice it and 80k is ridiculous!!!!!! For the same price or a little less you can get a friggin Z06!!!!!!
From what I understand nobody is gonna be buying a Z06 for under $80k any time soon. A guy I know has been looking to buy another Z06 since the new ones came out and still cant get one under $10k over MSRP and he has been looking all over the country. According to Mark the Sales Manager at Roy Robinsons they havent had one roll out at less than that either.

But I agree, I would never pay that much for the GT500. What cracks me up is they arent even that hard to find. What makes those idiot dealers think they can gouge like that?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

80,000 dollars? I would rather save 30,000 and pick up a C6, or maybe 45,000 and get a used Z06 and wipe the floor with it.
80,000, 80,000 80,000 are you kidding me!?
I wish I was but it was plain as day.........
Originally Posted by howierd42
I have seen the new Shelbys at shows but, like you, I was not impressed. And there is NO WAY I would pay 80k for one of those things. A C6 would be parked in my driveway first. WTF is Ford thinking with that price. And "best bang for the buck?" No F'ing way, dude. I think I would have had to educate that salesman about a thing or two.
It wasn't worth my time to "educate" that guy cuz he was a HUGE nutswinger, wouldn't listen to anything an had no qualms about the price gouge either. Wasn't worth the energy to deal with him, I just laughed and left.
Originally Posted by Ryan'sSS
If he is really serious about buying he should check into an auto brokerage. They can usually get you a car or truck for about $1K over invoice and usually charge around $500.
Also If you really want one find one from a dealer and dont mind a drive check out dealers where the economy is shot. There a few places in the US, Seattle is not one of them.
The problem is that not every Ford dealer has access to the Shelby stangs, as far as I know (and according to the dude last night).....you have to reach a certain sales mark for performance cars and overall vehicles to be considered for the Shelbys.........same is true with GM for the Z06's, etc.

Also I would be curious if broker could do that with what is basically a limited production car......

Originally Posted by turbo50
From what I understand nobody is gonna be buying a Z06 for under $80k any time soon. A guy I know has been looking to buy another Z06 since the new ones came out and still cant get one under $10k over MSRP and he has been looking all over the country. According to Mark the Sales Manager at Roy Robinsons they havent had one roll out at less than that either.

But I agree, I would never pay that much for the GT500. What cracks me up is they arent even that hard to find. What makes those idiot dealers think they can gouge like that?
Over the last several months that I have ben looking for a new car, I have seen advertised Z06's for between $75-77k....not a HUGE drop from 80, but like I originally said, they can be found for a few grand less then the 80k that Ford dealers are stealing from morons with nothing better to do........not at all dealers, but some are going below the 80k mark for a Z06. Also, Harris Ford blatently adds anywhere from 2-10k on EVERY new car they have on their lot. It is ridiculous.

I know, I have been looking at Tahoe's & Yukon's and it is depressing.

As for a fair price, after sitting in that thing last night, aside from the Shelby/Cobra badging, it looks and feels (interior-wise) just like a V6 mustang or a GT......I am sure the performance is much better (although i hear guys are having trouble getting them out of the 13's) but if I am gonna spend 45k or more, it won't be on a Mustang........if i was going to buy a performance mustang with potential for amazing speed, it would be a slightly used 03-04 Cobra.

FYI, I am not capping on the car or Mustangs, just the fact that I, personally, do not feel that 45k is anywhere remotely close to a price I would pay for a new 2+2 Mustang of any kind........wouldn't pay that for an F-Body either...........for that kinda money I am SURE I could find something else to make me happy.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Launching!

damn im glad i live in north dakota sometimes. we had a 06 z06 and the price tag was 74k the ford dealer had a gt 500 that went for sticker too but they had to order it from ford.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Is anyone interested in a Red one with white stripes? I know of someone selling his due to a stroke for 60k. Under 150 miles on the car too

rick
Old 01-17-2007, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Cobra right now is like the Z06 was when it came out. you are not touching one for a decent price for a few months They have checked all over the USA
Old 01-17-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ricksvt
Is anyone interested in a Red one with white stripes? I know of someone selling his due to a stroke for 60k. Under 150 miles on the car too

rick
Man that f-ing sucks I hope the guy is alright.

Rott, I know what you are saying about depressing, I am not hurting for money, but I won't part with over 30,000 for any Vehicle, ever. I will just keep buying stuff used. It makes me happy.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Man that f-ing sucks I hope the guy is alright.

Rott, I know what you are saying about depressing, I am not hurting for money, but I won't part with over 30,000 for any Vehicle, ever. I will just keep buying stuff used. It makes me happy.
Sadly, as much as I would love to have that attitude, most new cars are over that..........and the car/s I want are hard to find used, let alone new.

I am in negotiations with a place for a 2007 AWD Trailblazer SS right now and though they have discounted it a good amount, it is a demo with 3500+ miles on it and I don't feel they should be selling (pricing) it as a new car........I know that "legally" since it hasn't been titled, it is still new, but at 3500 miles, to me, it ain't. Oh well, we shall see.