Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Turbo Tech dyno day results

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Robert the reason I keep mentioning the MAF fail is when it does it reverts and goes WAY lean.......like imagine shooting juice and NO fuel

Ask Cory and Jim about it. they are well versed!
Yea, could be, we'll see shortly. My feeling is timing and fuel. But with out that damn log, who know's for sure. George said he thought it went lean also, but some of the other nitrous guys think it could be non lean issue, so we will just try to figure it out and make sure it doesn't happen again. MAF fail does sound fesable though, cause it has been running great and not lean on the 250rwhp shot, so it was something different this time or rather something that just popped up. the things that were changed was tune (timing pull), fuel (crappy 101 instead of 104), drilling out jets, which anyone could be it or at least a contributer, and/or MAF fail.

Talked to george today and ok'ed the forgeing of current motor. Can do it on the cheap, as he has a handle on some good forged prices. said everything looks good and can be reused. Will be about amonth and it will be back with a bigger hit. Also adding studs, head gaskets and some valve springs. First goal-looooow 10's. Oh, George said when I hit the juice, the slick wrinkled so bad the rim was almost spinning on roller, gotta love that torque

When's your car going to be ready?

Robert
Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a follow up on the videos. Putfile has fixed their new page layout so you can once again download them directly from Putfile.com.
http://media.putfile.com/2007-Turbo-Tech-Dyno-Day
http://media.putfile.com/Roberts-Meltdown-2007
Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Robert the reason I keep mentioning the MAF fail is when it does it reverts and goes WAY lean.......like imagine shooting juice and NO fuel

Ask Cory and Jim about it. they are well versed!
We saw high 16.x to 1 AFR ratio virtually instantly. That was with nice fat 11.x to 1 ratios a split second before. The really cool part.... no codes thrown or retained. I had to make it happen about three times to see the check engine light flicker enough that I could see it. Again... no codes were tripped or retained in the scanner.

Changing the MAF fail frequebncy is not enough. You need ALL your tables related to airflow tuned in manner consistent with a big FI car to ensure it doesn't happen again. You will also need to tune you open loop AF ratio table to something safe. Why? Because thats what your fueling goes to when any of the other tables gets exceeded. But it doesn't only go to the 14.x AFR that is there... it misses the mark and goes even leaner. I run my Open loop AFR table in the 11.x range for AFR at anything above idle. I recommend you do the same.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CHarris
We saw high 16.x to 1 AFR ratio virtually instantly. That was with nice fat 11.x to 1 ratios a split second before. The really cool part.... no codes thrown or retained. I had to make it happen about three times to see the check engine light flicker enough that I could see it. Again... no codes were tripped or retained in the scanner.

Changing the MAF fail frequebncy is not enough. You need ALL your tables related to airflow tuned in manner consistent with a big FI car to ensure it doesn't happen again. You will also need to tune you open loop AF ratio table to something safe. Why? Because thats what your fueling goes to when any of the other tables gets exceeded. But it doesn't only go to the 14.x AFR that is there... it misses the mark and goes even leaner. I run my Open loop AFR table in the 11.x range for AFR at anything above idle. I recommend you do the same.
Concenus is timing and plugs and maybe the fuel. Ellis is the only one that has suggested MAF fail. Dry hits are not tuned like FI cars, totally different animals. I have had absolutely no, none, nada, zilch, zero lean spike or lean issue and over 200 sprayed passes. Was watching WB and a/f was at high 10 area.
Robert
Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

What concenus?
Time for a betting pool.... "I want butter with that"
Old 03-28-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Robert56
Concenus is timing and plugs and maybe the fuel. Ellis is the only one that has suggested MAF fail. Dry hits are not tuned like FI cars, totally different animals. I have had absolutely no, none, nada, zilch, zero lean spike or lean issue and over 200 sprayed passes. Was watching WB and a/f was at high 10 area.
Robert
You're missing my point... but it's cool. Sounds like you've got everything in hand.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimbob
What concenus?
Time for a betting pool.... "I want butter with that"
All the top nitrous guys in the nitrous section, there's a thread/talk concerning this engine blowing.
Robert
Old 03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CHarris
You're missing my point... but it's cool. Sounds like you've got everything in hand.
Yea, I do that sometimes. The only thing I have in hand is an empty wallet.
Robert
Old 03-30-2007, 12:04 AM
Teching In

I had a lot of fun at the dyno day. My car was the really loud black 2004 GTO that put down 360ish at the wheels. Nice meeting all of you. Pat, thanks for the vids!

Quick Reply: Turbo Tech dyno day results