Old 04-16-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default This **** makes me sick...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vte...ing/index.html
Old 04-16-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

The numbers keep going up every time I read the articles.. Pretty pathetic, I feel so sorry for the victims and their families.. Such a waste.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

How sad.

I like what this local guy said about it.

http://community.livejournal.com/guns/1234721.html
Old 04-16-2007, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

I was working on my CNC When my fireman came in the shop and told me what was going on, I thought he was joking.. And then about an hour later I walked by TV, and there were all kinds of people watching tv, so I stopped, and watched. Its sad, when you cant even be safe in a controlled inviroment.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Amen Rokko.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Launching!

i dont understand why people like to shoot other people and them selfs. we had a guy at work two weeks ago decide it would be a great idea to commit suiciede. I dont know why u would do that to ur family and friends!!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Maybe he didn't have any? ... or at least didn't think he did.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

It really shocks me to see this in a place of "higher learning." It is so sad to see lives wasted no matter where it is, but on a University campus it just amazes me.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rokko
How sad.

I like what this local guy said about it.

http://community.livejournal.com/guns/1234721.html
I doubt having thousands of college kids running around with guns in their back packs would make us any safer, tho in this case it might have helped.

But it amazes me that this many years after Columbine you STILL see 30 cops standing around outside the building with their M16s up their asses with shots ringing out inside. Jesus Christ guys, go inside & kill the bastard already!

What moron came up with this policy of standing around waiting for the shooting to stop before they do anything? I mean, 33 people are dead and 26 more are wonded. Could the cops have done any worse?!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very sad day. Lot of questions need to be answered and it looks like VT didnt do a good job of handling it at all. Should they have canceled classes after the first shooting and if they did how many lives would have been saved? They didnt find the gunman and the guy they thought was it wasnt it. Maybe it wuld have been harder for the gunman to find mass victims if classes werent in session but he was hell bent on killing all he could before killing himself so who's to really say what would have happened.

I'm not going to argue or preach about the right to carry arms or gun control as its a heavily debated topic. Ok maybe just a little.

If guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have them but if they arent so easy to get then maybe things could be averted. It can be argued both ways. This kid lived on campus and had a 22 and a 9mm, sounded like a glock from the description.

Now maybe if one of the deadliest handguns in the world wasnt available to the public it might have been averted to some extent. Who's to really say. He wasnt using a hunting rifle.

He walked in opened the door and opened fire. How are you going to stop that? Even if you have a peice in your pack you still need to get it out take the safety off and **** it, all the while someone is shooting at you. Not that easily done.

IF everyone has a gun no one will use one doesnt work. Remove the guns or put in place a detection system and guards. In the end you really cant stop someone who wants to kill innocent un-knowing people if the gunman has the ability to get a glock or any other gun, that holds multiple rounds and is made out of plastic. Whats a glock? 15 shots? Best gas ports in the world entirely built to deliver round after round without faulter. Its an awesome gun. I can have one in 3 days. Maybe thats the real problem. I know people kill people, so the unfortunate reality is that in our gun toating society we have people who get murdered everyday. Thats the price we pay for the right to carry arms. Is it worth it? Its a moral question. It (VT mass shootings) doesnt happen all the time so as unacceptable as it is when it does happen it apparently is not that unacceptable or the gun laws would be a lot different.

Just so you know I own an assualt rifle, but I'm not blind.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I doubt having thousands of college kids running around with guns in their back packs would make us any safer, tho in this case it might have helped.

But it amazes me that this many years after Columbine you STILL see 30 cops standing around outside the building with their M16s up their asses with shots ringing out inside. Jesus Christ guys, go inside & kill the bastard already!

What moron came up with this policy of standing around waiting for the shooting to stop before they do anything? I mean, 33 people are dead and 26 more are wonded. Could the cops have done any worse?!
Mark, SWAT teams just don't run in and blindly look for the shooter. If they did that, a lot of them would end up dead & the shooter/s would not be stopped. The reason SWAT teams are so effective is that they PLAN & PLAN and then they PLAN some more......The campus there is 2600 acres and it would be virtually impossible to just stroll in and find the guy who did it without information, research and a plan. As far as I know, there was NO info on the shooter until after he killed himself so it would have been inbcredibly difficult for a cop or SWAT team to locate a single person on a campus of 25,000+ students......especially considering the shooter was a student.

As for the shooting ealier in the morning at the dorm, it was initially thought to be a murder-suicide (according to what I read about an hour ago), so in the beginning, there was no cause for alarm or reason to believe some dipshot would go and kill 30+ more innocent people.

I haven't seen any network footage of this, just some student's cell phone video, so I don't know most of the details but for the most part, a plan is required to effectively resolve problems like that. If the cops run in there blind and get themselves killed, who will be there to try to stop the shooter/s then?

And no I am not defending the cops in this particular situation, just shedding some light on tactics and circumstances. Though I am sure someone will still verbally rape me for it.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ram4384
i dont understand why people like to shoot other people and them selfs. we had a guy at work two weeks ago decide it would be a great idea to commit suiciede. I dont know why u would do that to ur family and friends!!!!
I said the same thing to my wife this morning talking about it. Not to sound evil or anything, but if I were in a situation like that where I was pissed and blowing away the whole place (I am sane... I don't plan on doing this! ) I would go crazy until I was stopped. It could just be they get to a point and realize they have done enough harm and end it? Psychologist I am sure could lecture on reasons for it hours on end. It's just like the kids in Columbine, they went crazy and in the end planned to do themselves in. That in my opinion is the cowards way out of life and the options you chose.

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER

You obviously have never played Counter-Strike!

The police that first reported are only assigned to deal with holding people back and doing their best to make sure things don't escalate. SWAT are the ones that are suppose to go in and get the guy and stop them. Like Rott said though, it is hard to go in there blindly and just hope for the best, it needs to be planned out to an extent. When you don't know who you are after and everyone fits the profile of "student" it is hard to pick and choose who is good and who is bad.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

The gun man had two pistols... had to re-load several times to continue killing innocent people for several minutes straight.

If ONE person had a hand gun to fire back, JUST ONE, 30 people may still be alive. Unfortunately all they had were desks to barricade doors... and windows to flea from. ******* unbelievable and entirely devastating.

I guarantee that Rozzo's Marine friend wishes he could have been armed and in that room to stop the mother ******... I do too.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
The gun man had two pistols... had to re-load several times to continue killing innocent people for several minutes straight.

If ONE person had a hand gun to fire back, JUST ONE, 30 people may still be alive. Unfortunately all they had were desks to barricade doors... and windows to flea from. ******* unbelievable and entirely devastating.

I guarantee that Rozzo's Marine friend wishes he could have been armed and in that room to stop the mother ******... I do too.

And it is why I carried 24/7 when I was working and why I still do, even retired.....cuz you just ******* never know.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rawr256
You obviously have never played Counter-Strike!

The police that first reported are only assigned to deal with holding people back and doing their best to make sure things don't escalate. SWAT are the ones that are suppose to go in and get the guy and stop them. Like Rott said though, it is hard to go in there blindly and just hope for the best, it needs to be planned out to an extent. When you don't know who you are after and everyone fits the profile of "student" it is hard to pick and choose who is good and who is bad.
It's pretty easy to figure out the one with the ****** gun killing innocents is the one to go after.

Why the **** not storm the place and hope for the best?? If that could have saved one kids life then it's worth it. All I saw on tv was swat personell standing around with their thumbs up their asses waiting for the gunfire to stop before they did anything. And then how long was it after the gunfire subsided before they went it? Far too ****** long in my opinion. What's the ****** point if they don't storm the place once the gunfire begins? That's their J-O-B!! Not lets see what happened long after it's all said and done. Shitty assed emergency/hostile planning on their parts.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

Oh, I'm not sure that there was any delay at all. From what I read, with the time stamps and all, they got that second call and all responded immediately.

I think an even bigger issue is that the college didn't send EVERYONE home, or put everything on level 100000 alert to stay home, after there were two murders and no suspect to be found for two hours.

Either way.. deeply angry and saddened. I think we're all on that page together.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

According to the films I see, hundred of innocent unarmed kids were hiding inside while the maniac was strolling around shooting anybody & everybody. He shot 60 people & each one of them ws shot 3-4 times. ALL the time there were LOTS of armed cops, some with flack jackets, some with M16s, standing around outside hiding behind trees.

Planning my happy ***! I don't care who you are, that is just plain ******* bullshit! Go inside & Protect & Serve Goddammit!!! Engage the bad guy & save the law abiding citizen's lives. That is the cop's job. If they can't do it, or are unwilling to do it, then I guess it IS time for us to all arm ourselves & take the law into our own hands.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

The senseless loss of 32 lives makes my heart heavy and I pray for those living with the grief and loss.

The gunman got what he deserved - a shot to the head.

The law enforcement deserve the benefit of the doubt. All of us, and the pointy headed media types, were not there, not on scene and not in the line of fire. The fact is that there were hundreds of LE that were on scene and that the "best available information" did not point to a tragedy like this. That indicates that we do NOT know the “rest of the story”. The gunman chained the doors shut, he was done in less than 10 minutes. The reports I heard, while I was still able to listen and watch” said it took less than a minute to breach the barricades and find the dead gunman. What more could you ask? No LE fired a shot, the ******* did it himself.

When the drive by media says….

· Did the school administrators do the right things?

· Why didn’t they lock down the whole campus?

· Why didn’t the police do more?

· Who can we blame this on?

· Is it finally time to ban all guns?

· How did living in the USA cause this poor kid to do this?

…. All I hear is “ What is our ratings? Do we have the best interviews? Is our backdrop catchy enough? How does my hair look? See, guns are bad – Criminals are people too.

**** all of them! This was perpetrated by a sick **** who deserved much less than he got. No one could have anticipated this or prevented it.

If I had been there, I could only pray that my Glock would have been a “warm gun”.

God bless

Old 04-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The warning signs were ignored by the police and the college with this kid and he was able to buy a glock19 with $571 and 3 forms of ID a month before the shooting.

I wouldnt feel safe with everyone packing a glock. Road rage, simple arguments would all turn into something new. But I can see the point. All it would have taken was one person to see him coming and to unload on him. One person in the right place at the right time with the right training. But what about those amish girls? How would you have stoppped that? Sometimes there isnt any stopping senseless tradgedy. You cant outlaw guns. Should security have been better? Would metal detectors have picked up him entering the building with a glock? Should all schools be required to post security and have detectors on all entrances?

What can you really do when someone wants to kill innocent people? You could make it harder for them by outlawing easy to conceal weapons. Or maybe have them take a personallity test before and then get proper instruction before allowing them to purchase. What can you really do?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
The warning signs were ignored by the police and the college with this kid and he was able to buy a glock19 with $571 and 3 forms of ID a month before the shooting.

I wouldnt feel safe with everyone packing a glock. Road rage, simple arguments would all turn into something new. But I can see the point. All it would have taken was one person to see him coming and to unload on him. One person in the right place at the right time with the right training. But what about those amish girls? How would you have stoppped that? Sometimes there isnt any stopping senseless tradgedy. You cant outlaw guns. Should security have been better? Would metal detectors have picked up him entering the building with a glock? Should all schools be required to post security and have detectors on all entrances?

What can you really do when someone wants to kill innocent people? You could make it harder for them by outlawing easy to conceal weapons. Or maybe have them take a personallity test before and then get proper instruction before allowing them to purchase. What can you really do?
Criminals will find ways to get guns no matter what the gun laws say so new laws that limit access are NOT the answer. The answer is to punish PEOPLE who break laws.

It appears that the **** who did this followed the law to obtain the firearms. So what? Are more gun laws the answer - **** NO!

The answer is to let people who are law abiding citizens defend themselves and those around them. I recently saw a statistic that said those with concealed carry permits committed crimes at a rate lower than law enforcement personnel. Somewhere around .03%. The answer is to let law abiding citizens carry weapons and kill ***** like the Korean that did this.