Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Let's Talk Pistols.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Any gun freaks in here?

I used to be into guns/firearms in my younger days, and I'm thinking about picking up a semi-auto DA 9mm. I've really wanted a Sig Sauer for a long time and I've always heard they were super reliable. Has anyone had experience with a P229r, or other model Sigs? This will be used for occasional recreational use (500 rounds a year or so). Also seriously considering a concealed weapons permit in the future.

I'm looking to buy used at around $400-550.00 range. Are there any other guns I should consider? I like the quality and reliability of the Glocks, but they don't really fit my hand as well as the Sigs.

Mike
Mike,
IMO you're talking two distinctly separate issues here - recreational/sport use vs. CCW. For recreational use its hard to beat 9mm (or even .22LR) based primarily on ammo cost and only slightly on other things like recoil, mag capacity, adjustable sights, accuracy, etc. For CCW it becomes a much bigger deal and your focus will have to change to stopping power, reliability, weight, concealability, comfort, ammo availability, follow-up shots, and so on.

There are some good 9mm rounds on the market these days, but I am always going to be a fan of a big, heavy bullet and for me the .45ACP is a proven performer and works well for CCW. There is some great info on defensive rounds to be found here: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237

In your price range I would be looking at a Glock or XD, but the advice above about trying before you buy is very important - especially if its going to be a carry pistol. Try as many as you can at the range and find the one that "fits" you best - both ergonomically and functionally. FWIW, my CCW is a G36 and I love it, but Glocks just work for me. Also, don't overlook the importance of a good holster and belt if you do get your CCL.

- Joe
Old 06-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dogtag
Most of the guys are pretty well informed. It really does matter what you want it for.
Myself,
I spend alot of time in the woods servicing communications equipment on out of the way mountain tops so I have come across a wide range of nasty critters such as bear and cougar.
I Have a CWP and carry a Tarus .454 for protection in the woods and a
Para Ordinance .45 at other times.
In the summer, I carry a .38 special revolver in a fanny pack for personal protection.

Below is my .454 shown along with my .45.
The rounds are compared to a .22 LR.
I'm shooting a load in the .454 that uses a 300 grain slug at 1725fps.
The .45 uses standard apc.

If you really want some plinking power, try one of these. (check the video clips) http://airbornecombatengineer.typepa...600_nitro.html
DT
600 Nitro express in a 14" handgun. 900grains at 1600 FPS!! 5550lbs of muzzle energy. I would say that's some plinking power.

I've got a Glock 23 in .40, a Para Ordinace P13-45, a Browning HiPower in .40 and a 1943 vintage 1911. My favorite to shoot is the Browning. Fits my hand great and fires nice and accurate.

I've been out of the gun thing for a while, but I was heavily into it for about 10 years. Plate and pin shoots and all that jazz. Is that .454 in your Taurus the same round for the Casull? Looks like it by the info you posted. 300 grains at 1700+ FPS. Hows the kick?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
LOL,,,, I'm not looking for a gun to put a hole in someone, so home defense is really a secondary reason for the gun. I'm looking at the 9mm round simply because it's a cheap round to shoot, readily available anywhere and comes in so many different bullet configurations. If it becomes too expensive to shoot, it won't ever get used and becomes more of an ornament than a hobby.

My cousin actually mentioned CZ, because he has shot/owned quite a few with great success but I've never even held one of their handguns. I'll have to look up some ranges here locally and see if any of them rent handguns. I really do like the way the Sig fits in my hand though.

Which Sigs have you shot before?

Mike
If it is just for plinking, a 9 is fine. I have fired a P226, P228 and P220 (.45) as far as Sigs go. Great weapons and I can't think of anything bad to say about them aside from price. But you DO get what you pay for.
Originally Posted by Poik
I am currently undecided between a Glock 38 (.45 GAP) and Springfield Armory XD Compact (.45 ACP, they don't make the compact in .45 GAP ) Have you shot either Darrin?
Actually I haven't. I own a compact .40 Glock (Model 27) but it isn't as accurate IMHO compared to the bigger ones. Or I should say, it is harder for me to be accurate with it (and I don't have huge hands). I also own a Model 23 and have personally owned and also carried for duty a Model 22. Never fired an XD but I heard good things about them.
Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Mike,
IMO you're talking two distinctly separate issues here - recreational/sport use vs. CCW. For recreational use its hard to beat 9mm (or even .22LR) based primarily on ammo cost and only slightly on other things like recoil, mag capacity, adjustable sights, accuracy, etc. For CCW it becomes a much bigger deal and your focus will have to change to stopping power, reliability, weight, concealability, comfort, ammo availability, follow-up shots, and so on.

There are some good 9mm rounds on the market these days, but I am always going to be a fan of a big, heavy bullet and for me the .45ACP is a proven performer and works well for CCW. There is some great info on defensive rounds to be found here: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237

In your price range I would be looking at a Glock or XD, but the advice above about trying before you buy is very important - especially if its going to be a carry pistol. Try as many as you can at the range and find the one that "fits" you best - both ergonomically and functionally. FWIW, my CCW is a G36 and I love it, but Glocks just work for me. Also, don't overlook the importance of a good holster and belt if you do get your CCL.

- Joe
That is why I originally asked. I personally carry a .45 caliber Para-Ordnance P14 Alloy Frame as my one & only. 1911's are THE best to ME and the extra capacity makes it even better!!!!!!

Last edited by Rottluver; 06-08-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Hummmm, a CWP would be kind of meaningless here.

DT
Attached Thumbnails Let's Talk Pistols.....-50bmgr.jpg  
Old 06-08-2007, 02:15 AM
12 Second Club

I'm a fan of the .45 ACP myself. Fell in love with the Para-Ordnance LDA Tac-Four after shooting one at Wade's in Bellevue. And surprisingly for being only a 3" barrel their Warthog was surprising just as easy to handle and get a good grouping with as it's larger siblings.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:15 AM

My duty carry is a SIG229 in .357SIG,

It's been very reliable just make sure you get good magazines with a thick plastic or preferably metal baseplate. It has been the weak point in our agencies early lots of weapons. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dogtag
Hummmm, a CWP would be kind of meaningless here.

DT
Actually in Washington it is called a CPL for Concealed Pistol License. It is one of the easiest states to get a permit in the nation. They cannot refuse you unless you are a felon or convicted of domestic violence. Once you have one then you don't have a waiting period when you buy something. I have mine with me at all times except taverns, Safeco Field, PR and Bremerton.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tails
Actually in Washington it is called a CPL for Concealed Pistol License. It is one of the easiest states to get a permit in the nation. They cannot refuse you unless you are a felon or convicted of domestic violence. Once you have one then you don't have a waiting period when you buy something. I have mine with me at all times except taverns, Safeco Field, PR and Bremerton.

One of the best things about this place. And you can buy guns here too.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rottluver
One of the best things about this place. And you can buy guns here too.
For better and worse...

It takes away from mod money

I think the license is an application, finger prints, and wait 3 weeks.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a springfield xd-9mm. It's awesome, never liked the angle of the glocks.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

For better and worse...

It takes away from mod money

I think the license is an application, finger prints, and wait 3 weeks.
I guess that's ONE benefit from being a former fuzz.......no worries about CCW's in any State.

And "so far" I haven't been bit by the mod bug for the TBSS.................so far.
Originally Posted by 777
I've got a springfield xd-9mm. It's awesome, never liked the angle of the glocks.
I have noticed that most "Glock people" are not fans of the XD and vice versa......never having held or shot an XD, I will withold judgement until I have first hand experience to go by.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Mike,

- Joe
Well, the CCW, CPL or whatever it's called here in Wa., would be used more for the ability to purchase guns "same day" rather than actually carry a gun on me. It's also nice to be able to put a pistol in the glove box when travelling without fear of it being confiscated/fined/jailed while being pulled over etc.. I'm trully not the type to actually carry a gun around just because I can, although I should say that it won't ever happen, just not the real reason I'd be getting the permit to begin with.

My cousin deals in gun accessories, and hits the gun shows quite frequently. He's going to keep an eye out for a Sig. Because he sets up a booth, he has first crack at the vendors before the general public. He routinely comes across slightly used P229's in the $425-450 range, sometimes lower depending on options, # of clips, general wear, etc..

Thanks for the tips though.

Mike
Old 06-09-2007, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tails
Springfield XD45 here for protection (CPL).

http://www.wildwestguns.net/

Springfield XD357 here (I like the "punch") CPL

definately check out the XD's
http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php
Old 06-09-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

"A long,.. long time ago,.. in a galaxy far,...far away" For competitive shooting price per round is a valid concern. It was very expensive for me with 45 acp. but,....I felt well worth it for the,......."piece of mind" For "home defence" however there is another type of piece of mind! S&W 44 MAG. Model 1911 colt 45. Check out the colt commander or, if you win the lotto, the trophy "gold cup" special. That said I will tell you I had a dog once named "entwietomila" (Zulu) (Ridgeback) it means "he who greets with fire". Bumps in the middle of the night in my house "might",... be introduced to the Remington "wing master" (12 ga.) with ALL the goodies. American TAXPAYERS are always the most "PISSED OFF" people in the world!
Old 06-09-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Default this is what you need

i just got done shooting this the other day at a traffic control point!!!! 2560ft per sec hehe max effective range i believe is like 6000 meters
Attached Thumbnails Let's Talk Pistols.....-evan-shooting-50-sniper.jpg  
Old 06-09-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ws6man2000
i just got done shooting this the other day at a traffic control point!!!! 2560ft per sec hehe max effective range i believe is like 6000 meters
No fair I want one.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

So .45 GAP is 2x+ more expensive than .45 ACP ammo. I think I'll stick to my choices between the XD Compact and Glock 30 now.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

i think they go for about 5k in the civ market hehe... gotta love the army for a few things free weapons haha
Old 06-09-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

So .45 GAP is 2x+ more expensive than .45 ACP ammo. I think I'll stick to my choices between the XD Compact and Glock 30 now.
I haven't heard anything good (enough to make me switch from ACP) about that stuff.
Originally Posted by Ws6man2000
i think they go for about 5k in the civ market hehe... gotta love the army for a few things free weapons haha
Yeah, now if I can just convince the wife that 5k for a sniper rifle I have zero practical use for is a good investment, then I am all set.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

The G30 is an excellent choice if you're looking for a Glock. You might also consider the G36, which has virtually identical profile as the G30/G29, but its narrower due to the single-stack magazine and therefore easier to conceal if you carry IWB.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Pistols.....