Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

-LS1 Swap Thread w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it's been two weeks since we got the LT1 engine out. No work was done last weekend, but today we got the stock K-Member out, and stuffed in the BMR unit. I had this one powdercoated in a Silvervein.

Wasn't too motivated today, so we only got the LS1 steering rack on the BMR K-member. Should be a roller once again by next saturday.

Here's some pics from todays work.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a real purty peice!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
thats a real purty peice!
Thanks. I bought it used and it showed up in less than usable condition. The original powdercoating was flaking off, and had rust bubbles everywhere so I just had it stripped and re-coated. Turned out alot better than expected for sure, but I now have more into it than if I had just bought a brand new one. Live and learn.....

How's your setup coming along?

Mike
Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That K member is a very nice piece. It looks better in person.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

OK, here is my yearly update on this 387 LS1 swap,,,,, Hehehe... I lost interest in this swap late last fall, and really haven't done much with it. I think the new GF had something to do with that lol... Anyway, the project is finally making some progress again so here are some updates.

I decided to go with L92 heads, so I breathed on them a bit with some porting burs. I spent most of my time porting the exhaust, which everyone knows the L92's are a bit weak on the exhaust flow. My goals were to do a mild port on the intake runners, and do what I'd call a stage III port on the exhaust runners to help get them up to speed with the incredible flowing intakes.

For the intake, I basically just removed the bumps from the rocker boss, and valvespring pocket, blended the entire port with a cartridge roll, opened up the area around the valve guide, and very slightly opened up the outside bowl edges.

The exhaust side got a decent amount of work done, but the area between the intake runner and the exhaust runner ports in the bowl is pretty thin from the factory, so it limits the amount of bowl work done on that side of the bowl (intake and exhaust). The exhaust runner tends to "lean" away from the intake runner anyway, so it's really no big deal, but if anyone ever ports these themselves, be careful in that area.

Here are the before/after flow numbers. They use a Superflow 600. All flow numbers are at 28". They test with a 5" long exhaust pipe, so these exhaust numbers are a little higher than you're probably used to seeing for stock L92's. Valves used for testing are stainless REV, the intake valves have a backcut performed by West Coast Cylinder Head (thanks Richard).

Stock L92 Heads
Lift.....intake.....exhaust

Ported L92 Heads
Lift.....intake.....exhaust

I won't bore you guys with pictures of ported heads. Everyone here has seen a ported head before LOL.... The heads are now at the machine shop getting a deck cut to reduce chamber volume where it needs to be. I'm shooting for 11.3:1 for this combo. Once I get the heads back from the shop, I'll assemble them with the new REV valves, Patriot Gold springs, and install them on the shortblock with the new Cometic head gaskets.

Here are some updated pictures of mocking up the accessory drives onto the engine. I had to piece-meal all the front belt driven accessories since I didn't have an LS1 to begin with. I wanted to make sure I had all the nuts/bolts and brackets etc. Still need an LS3/L76 style intake manifold, and the headers are 1-3/4" super-old Grotyohahns (sp?). They should really go in a museum but I need them...

I have a T56 scheduled to be delivered soon. That was one of the biggest expenses that was holding me up on this project so I finally pulled the trigger on the transmission.

That's it for now.

Mike
Old 08-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It lives!! Cant wait til you fire the beast up.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HMMMM Something looks familiar......

At this rate you'll be driving yours before I get mine on the road again!!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

We can only hope, so that I can get an engine back into my roller since it has been that way for the last two years.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
HMMMM Something looks familiar......

At this rate you'll be driving yours before I get mine on the road again!!
Haha,,, I wouldn't count on that my friend. I WISH all my car needed was what your car needs LOL... I do have a March deadline ya know. Hahaha.... It does feel good to be making progress again though.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing
We can only hope, so that I can get an engine back into my roller since it has been that way for the last two years.
Anytime you need help with yours, all you have to do is say the word man. Did you ever get that engine into the boat? What's up w/ that?

Mike
Old 08-10-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Not yet. Just need to put the intake on and accessories. Then fabricate motor mounts. Will have it done soon. I will be gone next weekend, but the weekend after that, I'm hoping to be putting it back in.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Not yet. Just need to put the intake on and accessories. Then fabricate motor mounts. Will have it done soon. I will be gone next weekend, but the weekend after that, I'm hoping to be putting it back in.
OK, just let me know when you need help.

Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Another update on the project car. Sorry, no pics this time. The next pics I post will hopefully show the engine/trans in the car.

I slapped the L92 heads on the shortblock and low and behold, the pistons needed to be relieved a tad. The forged pistons had valve reliefs for standard LS1 heads, but the L92's have much larger valves, and different valve angles if I'm not mistaken. So the pistons are all taken care of now.

I received my T56 finally, so that is all taken care of. Also got my L76 manifold, and NW 90mm TB. I need to make some spacers for the fuel rail and the longer SVO injectors too.

I sent off my LS1 engine harness to Speartech for the wiring conversion, so that should be back in my hands in a couple of weeks. Keeping fingers crossed on that one. Hopefully it won't be the last thing I need before firing up the car. Well that, and the stupid throttle cable mount for L76 manifold. I can't friggin' believe that SLP gets like 70 bucks for their stamped steel POS bracket. If anyone has an extra stock LS1 throttle cable mount, please let me know. I'll just modify one to work with the L76 before paying SLP's outrageous price. What a rip-off....

I'm currently waiting for some things to get here. Brown should be delivering the following parts this week:

-LS7 lifters
-36lb SVO injectors
-Oil dipstick/tube
-Pushrods

Once I get the valvetrain all squared away, I can assemble the heads to the shortblock. Then we'll be cookin' with GAS from there.... LOL.. Then I'll need to make some changes to the fuel system to accomodate the dead head style LSx fuel delivery (LT1's use return style fuel rails FWIW). I think I've decided on the Vette style fuel filter/regulator. I need to do a bit more research on that for all the parts I need. I thought I read somewhere that Nasty N8 had a conversion kit with all the fittings etc.. but I didn't see it their website, and haven't called them directly yet but it's on the "to do" list.

That's it for now, but it's getting closer.

Cody, Bobby - what are your schedules looking like in the next couple weeks?

Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

You know I'll make time. All need is some coffee and burritos and I'm good to go all day!

I'm going to be pissed if you whoop up on me with my old motor!!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Coffee and burritto's eh. I don't know if my garage could handle that haha... Maybe with a couple fans and the doors open.

Would you like me to sandbag the car for ya? J/K man, I'm sure your car won't have much trouble with my little ol' 387 LS1. Oh btw, that is a BW T56.

Mike
Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

I have a Friday night race on Sept 19, but other than that I'm available until October. Are we going to drop the engine in at my place or yours. It doesn't matter to me, just need a little notification to clear the garage in that area.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

I have a Friday night race on Sept 19, but other than that I'm available until October. Are we going to drop the engine in at my place or yours. It doesn't matter to me, just need a little notification to clear the garage in that area.
Sounds good man. I'm not sure where would be best to do that. If we drop it in at my place, I could have Bobby bring over that bad boy hoist of his. We gotta move the black car back to my place anyway, and the engine is here so it might be easier to just bring the car over to my place. That way you don't have to re-arrange your garage lol.. What do you think?

Mike
Old 09-10-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

You are more than welcome to use the hoist, its still at the condo. The only problem is I don't think it will fit in the back of the Jeep.... So we would have to figure out how to get it to you...

Larry is moving out later this month with my...I mean his pickup(kinda like my vette ) but until then I'm kinda limited in what I can haul..
Old 09-10-2008, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
You are more than welcome to use the hoist, its still at the condo. The only problem is I don't think it will fit in the back of the Jeep.... So we would have to figure out how to get it to you...

Larry is moving out later this month with my...I mean his pickup(kinda like my vette ) but until then I'm kinda limited in what I can haul..
LOL,,, is he taking your Vette too? Any idea how long that hoist is when folded up? I could prolly borrow the Dodge from the gf's parents to pick up the hoist. Actually, now that I think of it, her dad prolly has a hoist I can use. I'll check on that.

On a side note, I got the injectors and lifters yesterday. Measured the PR length again with the LS7 lifters, and I'm safe with the pushrods I bought,,, whew..

Mike
Old 09-10-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

I think at your place would probably be better Mike. Hauling the car over is no problem. How tall is your garage ceiling? I can always bring my hoist setup over too. It is easy to move. If you want we can move the car this weekend. Just let me know.

Quick Reply: -LS1 Swap Thread w/Pics