Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

M6 with ET's 10.0-10.9, what safety equip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M6 with ET's 10.0-10.9, what safety equip?

I got warned at Bremerton for 11.0, and he said if I run 10.9 or better he was gonna open the rule book on me. I've got helmet, 5 pt roll bar, 5 pt harness, and SFI jacket. He said I also need a flywheel shield or something, and maybe more. What's available for C5 flywheel shield, and what else is required from 10.0-10.9? Here I thought I had it all covered...
Old 08-05-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

looking through my gm high tech here are a few things......bellhousing shield,ds loop,aftermarket axles,five point harness,pro jacket and it also says this is just a quick over i am sure there is more.... Yes everyone i know i already listed a few things he has
Old 08-05-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep scatter shield (clutch Explosion), but try to find one, hehehe. That's why they normally don't push this on the vette.
SFI balancer also.
Half Shaft loops, they are out there. Drive shaft is fine as it's contained.

This guy was just being a donk.
Robert
Old 08-05-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually they are bound to up hold the rules for insurance weather they like it or not

If you want to play you have to play by the rules. Weather he was being a "Donk" or not it is his job to warn you.

Would be a good Idea to pick up a NHRA rule book and flip through it to get aquainted with the rules. That way you can be prepared for the in's and out's of the game we play.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Actually they are bound to up hold the rules for insurance weather they like it or not

If you want to play you have to play by the rules. Weather he was being a "Donk" or not it is his job to warn you.

Would be a good Idea to pick up a NHRA rule book and flip through it to get aquainted with the rules. That way you can be prepared for the in's and out's of the game we play.
The real problem is, they don't make a scatter shield for the vettes, so nation wide it's being over looked. I do have the SFI dampner though. For the half shafts, **** I will scatter my rear end all over the track before one of them lets go (it's to cover other makes and older vettes). Yea if they really want to be donks, ours and all the other roll bars in the vettes don't meet the rules, per say. But for christ sakes, someone has to have some freaking common sense, and I argued the bar point and got them past as they are built as NHRA approved and accepted nation wide. Some new guy wanting to be king ****, plain and simple. They do have the authority to look the other way and/or let things slide based on said common sense. Otherwise, there would be a whole lot less racers showing up. Not a rant against you Ellis, but directed towards those who may not be in tune with reality ie: bone head tech guys.
Robert

Edit: Here's the rest of the story. the last time Jon, Chris and I were at Bremerton, both Chris and Jon got warned for no roll bar. One or both were finally told to pack it up. Know to this trip, as soon as Chris made a sub 11.5 run he was told to report to tech. They were, I am sure, checking to see if he got the roll bar and the lap belts. Why yes he did, so mister tech decides to bust him on an obscure rule (it could have been any number of things), which is rarely even brought up concerning the vettes. But, the point is, imo, he felt as if had to find something. I think now that I am all worked up, I'll go have a beer, or ten.

Last edited by Robert56; 08-05-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Launching!

It's amazing these cars are 10 years old and nobody makes a flywheel shield? It sucks to be just now finding out this problem...

So Robert, you think every 10.9 or better C5 with MN6 is not NHRA legal? wtf!!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
It's amazing these cars are 10 years old and nobody makes a flywheel shield? It sucks to be just now finding out this problem...

So Robert, you think every 10.9 or better C5 with MN6 is not NHRA legal? wtf!!
yea you would think someone or some company would have developed something? If you do find a fix, let me know.
Robert
Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 AM
10 Second Club

Guys this is NOT new ground. Us dumb dumbs in the F-bodys have been there and done that. Look to Stroud for a Clutch housing blanket just like they make the LT1 guys run

Robert not a rant against you either but this is old hat step it up already they have been nailing us for years. Adapt and over come as the slow f-body cars have
Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Turn the other cheek my friend! Instead of being pissed off when a tech guy says you need something remember they are doing a job they are paid to do. They tech cars of every make and model and try thier best to insure not only your safety but the guy in the other lane. Things like a SFI balancer and scatter shields ensure your safety, I have seen clutches let go and break apart stock belhousings. I also have seen balancers come off a motor at 7,000rpm.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

Ask Don Gartlits about clutches coming thru the floor & if he would drive a car without a scatter shield ever again.

Yes, the safety gear is expensive. And a hassle to install. But one bad experience will prove to you how valuable it is. We tend to take these cars for granted. But the amount of stored energy in any of our cars is more than enough to take off body parts or worse if it breaks. So read the rule book & buy the parts. ALL were learned from broken cars & maimed / killed drivers....**** DOES happen!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Launching!

You guys are right, the rules are for our own good. I'm not angry or bitter, just trying to figure out what I need and where to get it. Yeah it's just new ground for me...
Old 08-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Hey Robert, some guy at the corvetteforum posted this place. This might do the trick for a "flywheel shield"?

http://www.exoticmuscle.com/catquery...L=SAFETY#C6810
Old 08-06-2007, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
I got warned at Bremerton for 11.0, and he said if I run 10.9 or better he was gonna open the rule book on me. I've got helmet, 5 pt roll bar, 5 pt harness, and SFI jacket. He said I also need a flywheel shield or something, and maybe more. What's available for C5 flywheel shield, and what else is required from 10.0-10.9? Here I thought I had it all covered...
Chris, There are many requirement to be legal to be able to run your car faster that 11.00 or over 135 mph as well. As for you personally you'll need a competition license. In order to get one you need to fill out the paper work and do the physical and make the required runs to show your ability to drive safely at the time and speed your wanting to run. The car must be legal too. To get a C5 legal to go faster than 11.00 isn't going to be easy. You'll need a sfi balancer (easy), extended wheel studs (easy) A 5 point roll bar is legal as long as the car has stock floor and firewall.(i think) The clutch shield and driveline loop is going to be tough. I had a friend that built a car for stock eliminator, it was a C4 corvette that would run deep into the 9's. They had to remove the IRS and install a regular rear end. The trans was behind the engine then so the other stuff was pretty basic stuff. To make a long story short I thing you should contact the division 6 tech director and ask him how to go about it. I there are many guys dipping into the ten's but none of there cars are legal to go there. Some tracks don't even notice the over 135 mph need the same safety equipment as if you were running fasted than 10.00. To start with call Dave Schaffel (306) 374-3685 He will be able to give you the right answers.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I do know that a half shaft loop kit is on the market for the C5. The drive line because it's enclosed is ok, correct, George. On the scatter shield/blanket, the link does say for ls1 vettes, but I am still skeptical, as this has been an issue for years over at the vette forum. The worst clutch explosion I evr saw was a 57 chevy back in the 70's, the dash was at roof hight, and car was totaled, the guy was lucky not to loose his legs. If we can find one that will actually work, I want one for sure, 5500/6000 rpm clutch dumps warrant such an investment.

Yes, for NHRA racing there is a lot of requirements, like having the roll bar padded around our noodles, how many are doing that, besides Mark, and there are more? I have read some of the new stuff, and they have added more requirements. It is for our safety, I agree, and for the track guys. But, I still stand by my contention that the tech guy was being a dick. Threatening to open the rule book, man up, for crying out loud, either side line a guy, or tell him next time have your ducks in a row.
Robert

Edit: On the dampner, after mine came off on the dyno, George suggested an SFI balancer and I agreed. So I am really not against this safety stuff. Hell, i even put my stock belt over my 5-point. This brings up another point, how many are running their shoulder belts at the wrong angles and/or coming around the side of the seat, rather than through the back rest like it should?

Last edited by Robert56; 08-06-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Robert it depends on the type of seat weather it must come through he seat or around. Tech guys have the hard job of being the first person you see past giving your money to the ticket booth. This means they must enforce the rules but yet not turn away potential customers. George and I have both been through true NHRA tech which is a lot more stringent then anything you guys will encounter on a regular weekend. All those empty spots on the tech card ofr SFI stuff you never fill out get filled in when someone like George runs through tech. Also the faster you run the less lienent(sp) they are going to be becuase of the speed involved. It is part of playing the game, I am not trying to give anyone a hard time just put things in perspective.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PONYEATER
Robert it depends on the type of seat weather it must come through he seat or around. Tech guys have the hard job of being the first person you see past giving your money to the ticket booth. This means they must enforce the rules but yet not turn away potential customers. George and I have both been through true NHRA tech which is a lot more stringent then anything you guys will encounter on a regular weekend. All those empty spots on the tech card ofr SFI stuff you never fill out get filled in when someone like George runs through tech. Also the faster you run the less lienent(sp) they are going to be becuase of the speed involved. It is part of playing the game, I am not trying to give anyone a hard time just put things in perspective.
I understand this. Been around a little myself. I have a signed by "Wally Parks" himself, a 1958 NHRA letter accepting my father into the NHRA. In the second sentance he states ..."Dedicated to Safety"... No I have not put a car through NHRA tech, but been there many a time when my father has.

You know what really peaves me off, is they let these piles of junk Civics through that are bailing wired together, then give the obvious safe/new cars the run around. yes a difficult job for sure, just wish they were all on the same page. No worry though, I still give them respect, eventhough, they **** me off once in awhile.

Do you guys know that the reason they dropped the 11.99 to 11.49, the C5 Z06 was running in the mid high 11's bone stock. Now the C6 Z06 is running low 11's bone stock, but NHRA has been petitioned to lower the 11.5 to 11.0, but they are not going any lower.

Robert
Old 08-06-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

The Blankets are what they make the LT1 guys runs...you know the old engine before the LSx? It is approved.

I have been through divion Tech a few times. At my old track, Renagade, back when I was runn brackets we had two NHRA trained and approved techs every event. We either passed a full NHRA tech or we did not race..EVERY race NO exceptions.

I have always been astounded by the lack of tech at the tracks we usually run at. You will usually only see me whinning about tech because I have to replace it so often. You want to hear a real bitch? I have to change out my SFI balanced flex plate that has less then 1,000 miles and 30 passes on it because it is out of date!

Just wait till you have an incedent that makes you apprecate the safety you have. I know someone who recently sufered alot less injury and damage over some thing as simple as having Sub-frame connecters. I was thinking of taking mine out to save wieght because of the new cage. Now they will stay forever!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
The Blankets are what they make the LT1 guys runs...you know the old engine before the LSx? It is approved.

I have been through divion Tech a few times. At my old track, Renagade, back when I was runn brackets we had two NHRA trained and approved techs every event. We either passed a full NHRA tech or we did not race..EVERY race NO exceptions.

I have always been astounded by the lack of tech at the tracks we usually run at. You will usually only see me whinning about tech because I have to replace it so often. You want to hear a real bitch? I have to change out my SFI balanced flex plate that has less then 1,000 miles and 30 passes on it because it is out of date!

Just wait till you have an incedent that makes you apprecate the safety you have. I know someone who recently sufered alot less injury and damage over some thing as simple as having Sub-frame connecters. I was thinking of taking mine out to save wieght because of the new cage. Now they will stay forever!
Hopefully we never have an incident where we need the safety stuff, but no one is a fortune teller. I have seen more than a couple people killed at the track, so safety is important for sure. Yea, the replacement thing every few years does suck, but what are we going do.
Robert
Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turbo Tech
Chris, There are many requirement to be legal to be able to run your car faster that 11.00 or over 135 mph as well. ...
Thanks for the detailed information. It doesn't look like too much to worry about, considering all the work done so far.

I'll start shopping for these SFI goodies. I don't plan on serious competition with this car, it's just for fun. Well maybe that's how it begins...
Old 08-07-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Some miss information above.... A competition license is required at 9.99 or 135 mph not 10.99.

You will need (as mentioned above) roll bar if unaltered firewall and floor boards / full cage if altered, after market axles (no c-clips allowed), drive loop, wheel studs, 5 point harness, balancer, SFI flywheel, and fly wheel shield. I know that vettes, don't have c-clip rearends in them, but just listing that for anyone else reading the thread that may.

Quick Reply: M6 with ET's 10.0-10.9, what safety equip?