Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Ignition fuse popping...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition fuse popping...

I have a short somewhere and don't know where to look next. I switched from a T56 to Th400 recently. Finally got the car driving last night and got maybe 10 miles and the car shorted out mid drive but engine stayed on. So I limped it home and turned it off as something didn't feel right. Went to start it up and nothing happened. Lights turned on, but no crank.

Found out the 50A Ignition fuse in the number two fuse block is popped. The dome light turns on, as does the stereo, but the headlights, gauges, odometer and such won't turn on. Well they will with a new fuse but the second you go from the on to the start position it pops the fuse.

I traced the pink 12awg wire from the ignition back and it looks fine. Any suggestions or am I looking in the wrong place? Could the starter wiring cause any of this? I really don't know where to go next. Any suggestions?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the wires going to the starter. Maybe the "start" wire is getting hitting the battery cable.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Marty.

I have chased simular issues before. Start by carefully checking between the transmission and bellhouseing to make sure no wires got hung up on you. I have seen it a few times. Some times they are fine till every thing warms up and the cover fully melts.

Also check your T56 solenoid wires. I can not remember what fuse they are on but some are on that fuse also.

I think the worst one I had was one that came in for the transmission going into limp mode. After removing ,inspecting and reinstalling the harness I found the problem. MORE importantly while I had the harness apart I found about eight things spliced in on the circuit from the factory that were not covered in the books. In the end a bad B2S2 O2 sensor was at fault. We put in a new O2 sensor and the transmission started working fine again.

The moral of that was some thing totally un-related could be the root of your problems.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Marty.

checking between the transmission and bellhouseing to make sure no wires got hung up..
Came across that one before....

Also check your exhaust headers and y-pipe to make sure nothing is melted to it....
Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Hey dude if you need any help let me know, i will see what I can do...

Lane
Old 10-26-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazylane
Hey dude if you need any help let me know, i will see what I can do...

Lane
Thanks Lane. To everybody else I appreciate it. I am pretty much positive that I fucked away installing putting the starter back in. I was in a hurry at 11:30 at night and probably got careless. Just trips me out that it ran for 15 minutes or so and then **** the bed. Oh well that is the nature of our hobby. I'll pull the starter back off tomorrow.

Marty
Old 10-26-2007, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

So what else did you do to the car??? Lol. I better get first dibbs on the fun...

Lane
Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Figure it out?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

I think he did, but we probibly won't hear from him in a while, He went on DET, this past week.

Lane

Quick Reply: Ignition fuse popping...