Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Oregon Emission Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oregon Emission Questions

Hey guys, couple ?'s about Oregon DEQ. First off does anyone know what the rules are applying to an engine swap in a 1987 model year car? Does it just have to pass the cars original emission test?

And second what kind of cams are u oregon folks getting through the new idle sniffer tests?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It depends on where you live in Oregon if you even have emissions testing. I don't where I live. Most rural areas don't. It's mainly Portland and the other cities down I-5. And I think they can set their own rules. But generally, your car only has to perform to the level of restrictions that were in place when the car was new. If there were no restrictions in place where you live in '87, your car would be grandfathered in as exempt from the current rules. When the rules are tightened up, they usually only apply to new cars.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

First, visit this link to see if you even need to be tested by DEQ: http://deq12.deq.state.or.us/VIP/default.aspx
Only surrounding Portland and Medford areas are required to do emissions testsing.

Portland area stations either use your computer or sniff your tail pipe. There are no visual inspections, prodding or poking that I am aware of. I can't say for Medford, I've never lived there. I can say it's all a waste of ******* time though, and needs to be deregulated immediately (the republican governor candidates ALWAYS express they want to do this!!! while Governor Kulengoski wants to add CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS TESTING...SIGH).
Old 11-21-2007, 02:31 AM
Staging Lane

I live in beaverton so all I know that I have to do the sniffer test, thank god there are no dynos anymore. I am just wondering on what cam size I would be limited too for portland deq
Old 11-21-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ODBII car is no big deal no codes, you pass. My 454 passed without a blink, although they are strict on the noise levels.

When I had my 93 TA it sqeaked by with heads and Hot cam, mac headers with cat and no egr. But it was roller and the lady kind of "passed it" on the second try. The first try it failed but barely.

Not alot of help but my experience. If your going ls1 you probably won't have a problem with a 224 cam on 114 and cats.

Quick Reply: Oregon Emission Questions