Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Jeep Wrangler or Nissan Xterra?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Wrangler or Nissan Xterra?

Hey guys,
well I'm tired of having an LS1 as a daily driver, its gotta go (even though I hate to do it) I've decided I need an all-purpose daily driver and in the near future I'll get a 1967-1969 Firebird and own a real muscle car that stays in the garage and the daily driver takes the abuse!
What do you guys think though, an Xterra or Jeep? I really dont want to own a foreign vehicle, but I've heard Xterra's are pretty stout. I know they can tow some weight too. My only issue is I've never owned a foreign vehicle and well Jeep's just look mean and fun....but no room for all that outdoor gear really.....gonna be a tough decision.
Thanks for any input or advice guys!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:05 AM
11 Second Club

I owned a Jeer Wrangler for about 5 years and it is a great vehicle. That being said, They have little or no room to haul stuff. My wife, duaghter and I took a trip several years ago to Arizona and it was the most uncomfortable ride ever. Had to buy a cargo hauler and still did not have enough room for everything. Have had our Avalanche for about 2 years now and love the hell out of it. If you don't want to but a Foreign car, Then I suggest an Avalanche. And you get to stay in the Bowtie Family. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trailblazer SS??
Old 12-05-2007, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rokko
Trailblazer SS??
That is another good choice.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

My Avi is BY FAR the nicest truck I've ever driven! Nice ride, small turning radius, tows good, lots of room, plus heated leather seats....OOOOOHHHHH!

Rick & Doug in one thread? Amazing!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko
Trailblazer SS??

Originally Posted by 99LSS1
That is another good choice.
I agree!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Neither.
Trailblazer or Tahoe.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

I had a 06 Jeep Liberty and that was the biggest piece of **** there ever was. I will never own a jeep again. I've had several Nissan pickups growing up and they were all terrific. They took a lot of abuse and kept on going with no problems. The Avi's are great too and so are the Trailblazers. I just recently purchased a Chevy Equinox and it is great so far. It is the all wheel drive with towing package. It is not a 4x4 for off roading but maybe something you would be interested in.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Our neighbor's Liberty was in the shop for a month - the dealer was trying to make the windshield stop leaking.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

First, are you looking brand new, slightly used, or older?

Also, do you think you'll do some real four wheeling?

The new wranglers (JK designation) are bigger than the old wranglers and are even available as a 4 door now. If you're looking for slightly older and want more room, you should look at some of the cherokees or grand cherokees. In fact the 99-05 grand cherokees are pretty nice rides that can get it done on the trail too that are available with v8s. I had a 96 Grand Cherokee with the I6. That engine is very reliable and I know A LOT of people with over 200k on them. My GC had 175k on it when I sold it.

If you're going to actually do some 4 wheeling, you will NOT want a full size truck. They're just WAY to big for the narrow trails around the PNW.

If you're just looking for a DD type, I must say my crew cab pickup is also very comfortable (pretty much like the Avalanches except I think I have a little longer bed, but then it doesn't have the mid gate thing)

Last edited by Ackattack1; 12-05-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Selling my 98 Grand Cherokee Limited. Asking $5,600 but I'll take $5,000.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/car/497566394.html
Old 12-06-2007, 02:59 AM
Launching!

I'm looking at slightly used, somethin with about 50k on it. The Trailblazers, Tahoes and Trailblazers are all very nice vehicles....but I think I want somethin a little bit more hardcore for 4x4'n. I want somethin I can feel comfortable in going through snow, mud and rain.
I think the Xterra is probably the perfect choice, but I'm single...so toys are allowed (like a Jeep) haha.
Its gonna be really tough deciding, I just need to get back to the states and test drive some of the vehicles mentioned. I think that will be my ultimate desicion maker. Being on deployment sucks!!!!!!!
Thanks for all the input though guys, really appreciate it!!!
I'm gonna miss my LS1 though, cant wait to get a REAL muscle car on the side
Old 12-07-2007, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

for hardcore 4x4'n, go jeep wrangler. aftermarket support kicks ***, always has, always will. personally I don't like the new design (looks like a bloated pig compared to a TJ.. much less a CJ or YJ)... but that's opinion.

hell if you're into it, swap a DOD 5.3l from a truck into a jeep.... then you have the best of both worlds power, torque, and decent gas mileage in a 4x4 that'll get going.....

Quick Reply: Jeep Wrangler or Nissan Xterra?