Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Front Plates and Base police

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008 | 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

the military posts follow the rules of the state they are located in,

(normally) if you have out of state plates, they aren't gonna look up your state to tell if it's right.

I'm pretty sure the law here in WA says that if there was a place for your plate, then it's required

and as far as putting it in your windshield,

that's just admitting that you know it's required
(kinda like hitting the brakes when you pass a cop)

I allways kept my front plate in the pocket on the back of the seat
never had any real issues on Bangor
(but was asked about the plate on occasion)

good luck
Old 01-27-2008 | 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

All the times I have been stopped no one has said a thing about not having a front plate, even on base.

Mike runs over to the fireplace mantel to knock on a real piece of poplar...
Old 01-28-2008 | 07:08 AM
Launching!

I never had a problem on Bangor, but back then I had an in with most of the security dudes through the wife.

Now we are divorced I would be a target

Good thing I retired at the same time....

Good luck dude,

Ken
Old 01-28-2008 | 11:54 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by KrautBurner
and as far as putting it in your windshield,

that's just admitting that you know it's required
(kinda like hitting the brakes when you pass a cop)
Here is the actual Washington State Law.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.16.240

RCW 46.16.240
Attachment of plates to vehicles.

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and [b]in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times. However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times. In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.

Last edited by GEARHED; 01-30-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2008 | 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

^ My argument in return would be "it doesn't say you can't put it in your windshield, it doesn't say it has to be outside your car, on the front of the nose or bumper.. which is why people put it in their windshield to begin with."

"If it was simply 'NO WINDSHIELD,' it'd say it plain as day... but it doesn't, cuz its legal"

Old 01-28-2008 | 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey man what base are you on??? if you said it before i didn't read the whole thing
Old 01-28-2008 | 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

All I know is every single base I have been too, You are not allowed to have the license plate in the front windshield.. And if the vehicle is liscensed in a state that requires two plates, then the base requires it to be on.. But i have only been on navy bases, beside Fort Huachua. And Langley
Old 01-29-2008 | 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why give the law a reason to pull you over in the first place? Is your exhaust legal? How about emissions? If they want to, they can cause you a lot of trouble if you've modified much of anything.
Old 01-30-2008 | 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

I know another thing that is kinda funny.

Couple of years ago, when I was stationed in Brem, on the Vinson. Well the parking garage is like a 20 minute walk from the peir. And I just so happened to be down by the peir in my truck, So as I was waiting for my buddy to come out to me, a big group of friends were getting off work, so I offered them all a ride to the Parking Garage, they all climbed in the back of the truck. Well I made it a stinkin block, before the base police pulled me over. They only gave me a warning, But I guess you are not allowed to do that in Wa, so there for even on base it was illegal. I know in Az, you can do it, so thats what I told the Officer, and he let me go with a warning. lol
Old 01-30-2008 | 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Okay, after doing a bit of cleaning up this thread I'd like to see it stay as this question comes up at least once a year.

No arguments please, just what some have experienced and the law is posted for reference. Leave it to attorney's to interpret.
Old 01-30-2008 | 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can I at least get my reply put back in. LMAO just kidding.
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
its federal Not State law that rules the bases.
Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Actually you might want to look into how they have changed there interpretation in the last few years to adopt the law for the STATE the post is in
Federal Law is only a tiny portion of it. Bases are bound to the local laws in the city/state they fall in as well.
Old 02-01-2008 | 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Get an SLP Camaro license plate. It bolts on the front bumper under the car. I had one on my '04 goat.

Old 02-01-2008 | 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silvercopbait
I have my front WA plate in the window cause i think the car looks a lot better with out it on the bummper, but i guess base Security doesn't think so.

Earlier in the week I was driving on base and Security said, "so when r u going to mount ur plate properly?" I simply told him when i get screws for it. And he told me that it is a voilation and i could get pulled over if it. i said thanks and he let in on my happy way with me not think to much about it.

Well last night when i can back on base they ticketed me right there at the gate!!! SO i guess i have to say GOODBYE to the great style of my front end and put the plate back on.

By the way I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM OUT IN TOWN with my plate the the window!!!!!!!!

Has this happen to anyone else???

Is there a motorized front plate i can put on??

Does the base have different rules that Wasington State Law? If they don't have different ruling on front plates, then give them a copy of RCW 46.16.240 Attachment of plates to vehicles — Violations enumerated.

It basically says "Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times."
Old 02-01-2008 | 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Since the RCW indicates the plate must be mounted on the "front" of the car I would assume that would mean the bumper.
It doesn't say facing the front.
Actually my front windshield is almost the middle of the car on my vette.
I'm sure that they could make it stick....

DT
Old 02-04-2008 | 12:01 AM
On The Tree

this is why i am glad that i have my michigan "exemption"
Old 02-04-2008 | 12:15 AM
Teching In

In CA its required front and rear. before my car was painted (looked like ****, rust and all), i got two fix it tickets for the same damn thing, no front license plate (every time i got it fixed i would take it right off again). After i painted it,i been pulled over a few times and they don't care so much.

sadly it seems that the way the car looks has something to do with it too

Quick Reply: Front Plates and Base police