Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

after market shifter questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
Actually, both first and reverse are syncronized. You're probably not old enough to have driven with a transmission that didn't have a syncro first gear. (My '64 Chevy II came with an un-syncronized first and three on the tree)

My guess would be the clutch is hanging up a just litttle, causing the transmission input shaft to turn when its depressed. The syncros "should" stop the turning.

Now that I think about it, what kind of fluid is in the transmission? This could be the symptom if the wrong type is in there. Too little syncro friction or not enough viscosity may be the problem.

Good Question Don I have no clue we have had the car just over a year & its been nothing but a PITA lol.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
Actually, both first and reverse are syncronized. You're probably not old enough to have driven with a transmission that didn't have a syncro first gear. (My '64 Chevy II came with an un-syncronized first and three on the tree)

My guess would be the clutch is hanging up a just litttle, causing the transmission input shaft to turn when its depressed. The syncros "should" stop the turning.

Now that I think about it, what kind of fluid is in the transmission? This could be the symptom if the wrong type is in there. Too little syncro friction or not enough viscosity may be the problem.
You maybe right... But I know that I can put the car in 2-3-4-5-6 very easy, but 1 & Reverse are not easy unless I go to one of the said gears first.

When my cars clutch was going out I couldn't go into ANY gear period, it felt like it just couldn't quite go into gear.... Just trying to help
Old 05-02-2008, 09:18 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does the same thing and all I have to do is hold the shifter in towards the gear and let out on the clutch a little bit and it goes into gear.