Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Pulled over my the po-po today... did anyone know...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the QTECs on my car they're usually closed by the time they pull me over. So I usually just play it off as maybe there's an exhaust leak or somethin cuz it's the stock muffler in the back . Other than that I've found for the most part as long as you're respectful they'll treat you like a human being.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Someone mentioned the front plate requirement a few posts ago...

Did you all know that as of July 2006, tickets for no front plate, improper lighting, improper tint, and a few other vehicle specific non-moving violations can be given out by a meter maid, with or without you even being in the car? I got one when my Supra was parked on the street in Seattle for no front plate and tinted headlight lexan. Prior to that, I was told by the judge that infractions like that were cited by police only. What's next, meter maids carrying mirrors to look under your car?

The best (not) part was I went to the Judge in Seattle and she said that I can pay the ticket cost of $124, or I can have it waived, get the "repairs" done on my car and then only have to pay "court costs" of $100. Either way the scammin bastards were going to get a C-note outta me.

I only mention this 'cux the 98+ TA's, Camaros and Vettes all look so good with no front plate, but that sucks.

Last edited by Goldfinger911; 06-25-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From the Federal Clean Air Act:
Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed
and replaced with "converter replacement pipes' by any person.
The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private
individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their
own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate section
203(a)(3)(A) and (B) of the Clean Air Act (Act).

Section 203(a)(3)(8) makes it illegal for any
person to sell or to install any part where a principal effect would
be to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of
design of a vehicle's emission control system.

It doesn't matter where you're registered because removing them is a violation of federal law. You don't need to smog test because of where it's registered, but removing federally required equipment can cause trouble.......... not that I would ever do that
Old 07-04-2008, 06:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazylane
If I am not doing anything illegal, then they can't give me a ticket right???
not so true,

I'm going to court next week over a "Speeding" ticket I got a couple months ago.

ticket states he "Paced" me at 74mph

he pulled me over because I flashed my lights at a motorcycle to let him change lanes in front of me (on a friday night with nice weather)
and he said he thought I was gonna race the bike (in fairly heavy traffic)

he paced me in traffic, from several cars back
I was in the middle of a pack of 20-50 cars going down the interstate, I had just merged on from a ramp

so,
yeah.
they can write you a ticket even if you're not doing anything illegal
Old 07-04-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itchygomey98
From the Federal Clean Air Act:
Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed
and replaced with "converter replacement pipes' by any person.
The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private
individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their
own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate section
203(a)(3)(A) and (B) of the Clean Air Act (Act).

Section 203(a)(3)(8) makes it illegal for any
person to sell or to install any part where a principal effect would
be to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of
design of a vehicle's emission control system.

It doesn't matter where you're registered because removing them is a violation of federal law. You don't need to smog test because of where it's registered, but removing federally required equipment can cause trouble.......... not that I would ever do that
When we start seeing Federal Marshalls enforcing Federal emissions laws, I'll take notice. Until then, local and State police don't care about converters, if your car is 25 or more years old. To be charged with a Federal crime over such a matter would be interesting.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crazylane
I can run straight headers and still be legal here. So they can blow me. Everytime they pull me over I get that much more lippy with them..
When I was 18, a lawyer advised me to look at such things his way: "I never argue with a cop; he has the gun and the support". If you think you are being mistreated, take it to court at a later time. I've always lived my that advice.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't think it's gonna require a federal marshal to bust somebody for breaking a federal law. I do think it's a stretch that a local cop would waste their time with it too tho. I'm just saying that driving along with no cats doesn't fall into the category of not breaking any laws.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by esoteric
When we start seeing Federal Marshalls enforcing Federal emissions laws,
US Marshalls are not charged with enforcing laws, they provide Federal Court security, transportation of Federal prisoners, protecting federal witnesses, hunting down Federal fugitives. There are some other things they do as well, but they do not enforce federal laws like "local cops" do........just FYI.

http://www.usmarshals.gov/
Old 07-04-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

my car had a hooker catback and LTs when i got it. i changed to a dual dumped setup with bullets. i noticed that most cops dont even look my way when i go by. both setups are extremely quiet with no throttle coasting. i have passed local cops state troopers and deputy sheriffs and not one ever messed with me or really even looked my way for that matter. i have heard by some younger guys that the sport compacts with loud pipes get messed with a lot but i wouldn't know from personal experience. btw we dont have emissions here thank god, we do actually but they dont enforce it.