Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Pulled over my the po-po today... did anyone know...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulled over my the po-po today... did anyone know...

I was driving through Auburn today, after watching the races and I was pulled over my a Auburn cop. (she was actually pretty cute.

Before I say why.. I have a trivia question for everyone...

Does anyone know the law in WA State regarding having louder/aftermarket exhaust on a vehicle that is driven on the street?

Yup. No modifications that make the car louder than stock, whether you did the modification or not. (This is only for cars less than 25 years old apparently.) I was floored. I always thought exhaust noise just fell under the individual city's noise ordinance, but I guess not.

The cop walked to my window and did have a surprised look on her face. I guess she didnt expect a 37 year old at the wheel. Hahaha. She was also checking out my two N2O bottles in the back but she didnt say anything about those being hooked up. I am glad she didnt walk to the front and get me on the no front plate thing. Whew.

The actual law surprised the hell out of me however I talked my way out of the ticket.

Last edited by Goldfinger911; 06-23-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:23 AM
TECH Resident

if i remember correctly isnt it that you are not allowed to modify an exhaust other than to replace it with a stock exhaust?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jester1614
if i remember correctly isnt it that you are not allowed to modify an exhaust other than to replace it with a stock exhaust?
That's what I understood when reading the RCW for it. The function and sound level can not be altered from factory stock. It goes largely unenforced though. Used mainly as a reason to stop you.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

yea i was pulled over for that too but i got no ticket!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WA state law says something of the fact that you can't modify to make it louder, must extend beyond the b-pillar, and must have a muffling device.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

The exhuast must exit beyond the passenger compartment, so the law gives a lot of lattitude. It's hard for police to make "excessive noise" charges when brand new diesel pickups are so loud. All-in-all, WA law enforcement regarding vehicles is very lax. Traffic cops focus on raised trucks and hot rods driven by young people -leaving me out. I always drive slow on the street assuming the noise my car makes is already asking for trouble. That high noise level also increases the perception of speeding.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I do nopt have the RCW on hand but it can be dug up.

We got hammered last year when they yanked the Decible rating. Basicly there is almost no wiggle room and can be intupited anyway the police prefer.

Basicly right now it read you can not modify your stock exhaust to make it louder

Here is a quicky

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.390
Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

99% of the time with cars like ours, you wont get a ticket. The officer uses the noise as PC to make contact. Once you have been put through the system and come back clean, they will let you go.

Its the early 90's honda/acuras with the grapefruit shooter exhaust that look like have been driven off a cliff that the officers really play the noise card with. Those cars are refered to as "warrant wagons" and usually make for a good stop.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

I get pulled over quiet often in my car.. Probibly atleast once a month, for the exhaust being to loud. But on the flip side, me or my wife goes to Starbucks every saturday sunday, and there are always two to three cops there having coffee, and they are always asking us questions about the car, and checking it out.

The only reason I have gotten away with it thus far, is I have Arizona Registration.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man my friends and I have all gotten pulled over, literally, about 10 times within the last week (between 7 of us.) I don't remember this happening last summer. Is there something I don't know about?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's another good reason to be very polite to the officers. Just think of what happens if they decide they don't like you and start inspecting. Do you have headers, no emmisions, no cats, aftermarket cat-back--all illegal and worthy of lots of fines--if they wanted to write you up. They can also be tacked on if they stop you for something else completely--like that missing front plate. It's the risk we take to go fast.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
99% of the time with cars like ours, you wont get a ticket. The officer uses the noise as PC to make contact. Once you have been put through the system and come back clean, they will let you go.

Its the early 90's honda/acuras with the grapefruit shooter exhaust that look like have been driven off a cliff that the officers really play the noise card with. Those cars are refered to as "warrant wagons" and usually make for a good stop.

Good to know.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

I can run straight headers and still be legal here. So they can blow me. Everytime they pull me over I get that much more lippy with them..
Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by crazylane
Everytime they pull me over I get that much more lippy with them..
The magic 8 ball says "many tickets in your future"
Old 06-24-2008, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

If I am not doing anything illegal, then they can't give me a ticket right???
Old 06-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crazylane
If I am not doing anything illegal, then they can't give me a ticket right???
Sheeeiiiit......they can ticket the crap outta you and it doesn't matter where your car is registered.

It's up to you to fight them and get them dropped.....

Even if they KNOW they can't legaly get you the do know they can write you up and then it's up to you to fight the tickets....

Therefore if you don't fight them = cop win

You do fight them, waste your time = cop win
Old 06-24-2008, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

All they would need as far as emmissions go is the law that my home town goes by, signed by the local judge which would be farely easy to get.. Show that to the judge, and they will throw it out, remember I am military. So i have a reason for having my vehicle registered elsewhere.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Does not mean they won't ticket you. In fact, you may be more likely to get the ticket. How likely is it that someone would go through that much work to fight the ticket in court? Take the day off without pay and see the judge? Hope you don't get deployed or are serving during your court date? Then you have a bench warrant. Welcome to Washington. They can and will do any thing they want to here. Ask me how I know.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

They do that in all states. Its not much work for me to call up the county judge back home, and request something like that. I wouldn't have to take a day off for that either. And if they wanted to give me a ticket for it, they would have about 10x times back, when they first started pulling me over for it... I also don't have a front license plate, so will they give me a ticket for that aswell???? I mean it falls under the same category as this.. Its a requirment here, but not were I am from. So they will not issue me a ticket for it. Same goes for my loud *** exguast. They can't do it. And if they did, it would get laughed out of the damn court..
Old 06-25-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

not really, remember the cops think its their town and you pollute their air with your exhaust they will do something about it