Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Finally!!! Po-Po doing what they should!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008 | 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm curious to know what the real world application of this law will be.

Take these cases for example:
1. During busy times when all lanes are totally jammed full. There is no expectation of keeping the left lane clear during such times, is there? When traffic lightens up enough that there is room in the other lanes then I would totally expect enforcement.
2. You are doing 9 or 10 over the limit(pretty normal ticket-free speed for fast lane), passing 95% of traffic, when a couple of people in a street race come screaming up on you. Are you required to clear for them, thus enabling their racing to continue? What if it's not a race, but just someone traveling at a speed for which one would normally get a citation(16+ over the limit)?

BTW, on the hands free thing...at Metro we just got a bulletin outlining revised communications guidelines with our bus radios(which use a wired hand set). We're still allowed to use them, but they're cutting out some of the less important usage(no more calling to ask directions for a lost passenger, or for lost items, or to hold up another bus so someone can make a connection, etc).
Old 06-24-2008 | 10:13 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Here's another vote for "It's about ******* time".
Old 06-24-2008 | 01:35 PM
On The Tree

I am just curious. How does it apply to car pool lanes?

Old 06-24-2008 | 01:51 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Tails
I am just curious. How does it apply to car pool lanes?

It says in the article that it doesn't. The law doesn't consider the carpool lane a "passing" area. It only applies to the left most non-HOV lane. If you're in the HOV lane and want to pass someone, you need to jump into the non-HOV lane. Someone doing the speed limit or slower (within reason) in that lane is perfectly legal.

I'm just glad they are finally enforcing this, because this one thing alone is annoying as **** driving back and forth between Seattle and North Bend. So many slow pokes camp out in the left lane that it makes you want to go freakin postal.
Old 06-24-2008 | 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
I'm just glad they are finally enforcing this, because this one thing alone is annoying as **** driving back and forth between Seattle and North Bend. So many slow pokes camp out in the left lane that it makes you want to go freakin postal.
Here Here, they do mention Road Rage in the article, I would bet left lane loligaggers are how most road rage issues start.
Get the **** out of the way, it isn't that hard.
Old 06-25-2008 | 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
It says in the article that it doesn't. The law doesn't consider the carpool lane a "passing" area. It only applies to the left most non-HOV lane. If you're in the HOV lane and want to pass someone, you need to jump into the non-HOV lane. Someone doing the speed limit or slower (within reason) in that lane is perfectly legal.
I drive I-167 and they have that stupid pay lane where non carpool people drive with the carpool people for a price. You cannot just jump to the other lane as you are not allowed to cross the double white line and the opening for changing lanes only occurs every couple of miles.

Old 06-25-2008 | 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tails
I drive I-167 and they have that stupid pay lane where non carpool people drive with the carpool people for a price. You cannot just jump to the other lane as you are not allowed to cross the double white line and the opening for changing lanes only occurs every couple of miles.

The new "game" I've seen in SR167 is for people to pace the HOV cars through the allowed lane change zones so they can't get out until they hit the double-line again trying to avoid them. Who should get the ticket in this case?
Old 06-25-2008 | 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SeaHawk
The new "game" I've seen in SR167 is for people to pace the HOV cars through the allowed lane change zones so they can't get out until they hit the double-line again trying to avoid them. Who should get the ticket in this case?
At Metro we MUST take a specific lane change zone to make our exit. If traffic blocks us we have been directed to come to a complete stop, if necessary, and wait for someone to let us in. It's only a matter of time 'till that results in a huge accident. We are NOT to miss our exit, and we are NOT to cross the double whites. It's another great example of our governor's transportation plan at work.
Old 06-26-2008 | 09:12 PM
Launching!

I saw people being cuffed on the roadways in 2 different places tonight, both on 167S. I think it was WA State Patrol. They appeared to be driving alone, and not making trouble but they did not look happy. The only thing I guess they could have been possibly doing was speeding. You hardly get ANY chances to speed in that traffic, but this was about 2:30pm. One of them got my attention because the cops radar was on full blast, and set off my detector before I rounded the corner. It looks like a crackdown is in motion. I've never seen that much enforcement out! Watch yer asses out there!
Old 06-27-2008 | 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

To get arrested for speeding, you have to be going rediculously over the limit. They must have had warrants, DUI (yup, at 230 in the afternoon) or dope.
Old 06-27-2008 | 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
It looks like a crackdown is in motion. I've never seen that much enforcement out! Watch yer asses out there!
End of the month dude, got quotas to fill.
Old 06-27-2008 | 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
To get arrested for speeding, you have to be going rediculously over the limit. They must have had warrants, DUI (yup, at 230 in the afternoon) or dope.

Hey Boyce! What's with the badge thing? Are you a sheriff now?
Old 06-27-2008 | 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

"If they'd a cremated the sumbitch I'd be kickin that Mr Bandits *** around the moon by now."
Old 06-27-2008 | 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer

Hey Boyce! What's with the badge thing? Are you a sheriff now?
Got my conditional offer from Snohomish County on Tuesday.
Old 06-27-2008 | 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
I saw people being cuffed on the roadways in 2 different places tonight, both on 167S. I think it was WA State Patrol. They appeared to be driving alone, and not making trouble but they did not look happy. The only thing I guess they could have been possibly doing was speeding. You hardly get ANY chances to speed in that traffic, but this was about 2:30pm. One of them got my attention because the cops radar was on full blast, and set off my detector before I rounded the corner. It looks like a crackdown is in motion. I've never seen that much enforcement out! Watch yer asses out there!
I got pulled over twice in a week (both warnings though). I'm being very careful.
Old 06-27-2008 | 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Got my conditional offer from Snohomish County on Tuesday.
Nice, remind me not to invite ya up to play when I get the 'Velle on the road.
Old 06-28-2008 | 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
gotta love the turn signal on a good 45 seconds before they actually change lanes....ok enough of my rant..
Be happy you're getting a turn signal! 9 times out of 10 around here no one uses their signal. What do they think they're going to get a disease touching that signal stick?

Quick Reply: Finally!!! Po-Po doing what they should!!