Other Special Events Gatherings | Shows | Cruises

2009 Trans Am Nationals in Dayton, Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see someone got a picture of Zek and the new widened Ruffs (19x11 305/30/19s)
The new venue is quite nice and the weather was great!!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ezekielta

Sweet picture, I am not sure what camera sic ls1 used to take those pictures but all of the cars look great. Usually I dont like the all black theme but your car looks awesome with that look. Nicely done!

Last edited by 02SOMLS1WS6; 09-01-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bird Man
Thats me---that is a crazy class to be in.
I would love to see the score sheets for the cars in that class. It would be interesting to see what the judges were looking for.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any more pics of yours? that's a nice LT1. One of my favorites. I tried to see you on Sat. but didn't see your car so this picture might of been from Friday or Sunday?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I might buy my score sheet this year. i was going to last year and didn't. since i placed i think i want to know what my score was
Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95TAGary
Any more pics of yours? that's a nice LT1. One of my favorites. I tried to see you on Sat. but didn't see your car so this picture might of been from Friday or Sunday?
Thanks Gary, The pic is from Sunday. We got there Thursday and had the car there friday but the roads are shatty in and around Dayton so we road the truck down for the Saturday deal.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a couple pics of it

Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
I would love to see the score sheets for the cars in that class. It would be interesting to see what the judges were looking for.
You would probably be suprised how close the scores would be. There were probably only a few points between 1st and say 6th. My first year in that class I scored 197/200 and I got fourth--which means 1st had 200. Some of the other guys who have posted complained about the judging--but take a look at the scoring sheets-- there are 3 sections of 25 pts. where 10 of those pts. are cleanliness and presentation---thats 30 pts before you get to the Overall.
If you didn't clean your wheel backs ,have dirty fenderwells,etc., you just screwed yourself no matter how cool your car looks on the outside( nice wheels and a nice paint job). Slaping on too much tire shine will loose you points also. That red car that won could have been 4th-or 5th in the overall section but thats only a possible 25. I learned early on ---ITS A SHOW -PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL--then maybe some guys won't be pissing and moaning about the judging.

I have been to 10 Nats and each year is different.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
I got a couple pics of it

Caught me sleeping
Old 09-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
I will say that i saw something really funny in 93-97 stock. there was a 95 formual 'vert with a WS6 hood and SLP airbox in there. he was in the modified class with me last year after i got them to take me out of heavy custom. Here are a few of my pics starting with my trophy shot I'm still shocked that i took second place in 93-97 modified. I'm in the process of uploading about 380 pics to photobucket

the rest (approx 380 once they are all uploaded) can be seen here
http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...ionals%202009/
Wow, impressive. Congrats.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just put up 3 sets of pics on my Webshots --- just click on my link.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Looks like a great time! I hope to go next year. I heard a rumor that it may not be happening next year...can anybody shed some light on that?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bird Man
You would probably be suprised how close the scores would be. There were probably only a few points between 1st and say 6th. My first year in that class I scored 197/200 and I got fourth--which means 1st had 200. Some of the other guys who have posted complained about the judging--but take a look at the scoring sheets-- there are 3 sections of 25 pts. where 10 of those pts. are cleanliness and presentation---thats 30 pts before you get to the Overall.
If you didn't clean your wheel backs ,have dirty fenderwells,etc., you just screwed yourself no matter how cool your car looks on the outside( nice wheels and a nice paint job). Slaping on too much tire shine will loose you points also. That red car that won could have been 4th-or 5th in the overall section but thats only a possible 25. I learned early on ---ITS A SHOW -PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL--then maybe some guys won't be pissing and moaning about the judging.

I have been to 10 Nats and each year is different.
Im pretty sure alot of people would agree that this years show had something just alittle off in the m-3 judging. Ive been to 4 years of ta nationals 2 years in my 95 ta and 2 years in my 02 ta and know what the judges look for and have worked my *** off trying to catch another win. This year was the worst, Ive never seen two more poor of examples of a Winning SHOW CAR! Personally any person who would take a spray paint can to a car and just start spraying everything you can get your hands on isnt adding custom touches he or she is only taking away from the valve of that vehicle.. Dont even get me started on the decals some of this cars have, god we all know its a trans am and is ram air it says it on the doors and the hood from the factory we dont need 50 thousand decals all over a vehicle to remind us!! Decals dont make it a Show WINNER WOW!! ALot of people in the m-3 class put tons of time into there vehicles and pay very close attention to detail as to pull wheels, polish everything possiable, re-paint , clean and clean ect. ect until their hands fall off to come and get beat by vehicles far FAR from show quality!! Im not saying my car should have won anything but Honestlly what was the judges basing those choices on. And as for the wheel wells on that SHOW WINNING Gold thing I guess the judges missed all the dirt and bullshit building up in his front wheel wells!! Sell me on that win please

As for the coming from "Bird man" alot of people do give a **** and they, the same as you have the right to share there opinion

Myself really I dont care that I didn't place or win... I won much more than any stupid award from ta nationals... Rob with the 2000 pewter Ta in the M3 class and I were asked ( " because OUR cars ARE SHOW/MAGAZINE quality" ) to do a photoshot by High Performance Pontiac Magazine. Rob and I will be featured soon together in a wicked spot in Dayton with tons of great pictures and info on our cars.

Last edited by NASTYTRANSAM; 09-03-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NASTYTRANSAM
Im pretty sure alot of people would agree that this years show had something just alittle off in the m-3 judging. Ive been to 4 years of ta nationals 2 years in my 95 ta and 2 years in my 02 ta and know what the judges look for and have worked my *** off trying to catch another win. This year was the worst, Ive never seen two more poor of examples of a Winning SHOW CAR! Personally any person who would take a spray paint can to a car and just start spraying everything you can get your hands on isnt adding custom touches he or she is only taking away from the valve of that vehicle.. Dont even get me started on the decals some of this cars have, god we all know its a trans am and is ram air it says it on the doors and the hood from the factory we dont need 50 thousand decals all over a vehicle to remind us!! Decals dont make it a Show WINNER WOW!! ALot of people in the m-3 class put tons of time into there vehicles and pay very close attention to detail as to pull wheels, polish everything possiable, re-paint , clean and clean ect. ect until their hands fall off to come and get beat by vehicles far FAR from show quality!! Im not saying my car should have won anything but Honestlly what was the judges basing those choices on. And as for the wheel wells on that SHOW WINNING Gold thing I guess the judges missed all the dirt and bullshit building up in his front wheel wells!! Sale me on that win please

As for the coming from "Bird man" alot of people do give a **** and they, the same as you have the right to share there opinion

Myself really I dont care that I didn't place or win... I won much more than any stupid award from ta nationals... Rob with the 2000 pewter Ta in the M3 class and I were asked ( " because OUR cars ARE SHOW/MAGAZINE quality" ) to do a photoshot by High Performance Pontiac Magazine. Rob and I will be featured soon together in a wicked spot in Dayton with tons of great pictures and info on our cars.
LOL...you know what the sad thing is? That everyone will just say "well thats the Nats for you." Well thats BS for a show of that size and stature. When they are SOOOOO many obvious discrepancies and judging errors it CLEARLY calls into question the legitimacy and integrity of the show and staff. This is the VERY reason I didnt go this year and may never go again. I think my screwing last year is fairly legendary by now, but at the same time I would never put anybody else's car that was in my class or any other down. The car owners didn't do the judging and they are just as proud of their car as you are of yours...no matter how legitimate the argument that just makes you seem like a sore loser.

I wonder if the judges in that class this year were the same as last??? If so maybe they think judging is like golf and the lower the number the better????
Old 09-03-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NASTYTRANSAM
Im pretty sure alot of people would agree that this years show had something just alittle off in the m-3 judging. Ive been to 4 years of ta nationals 2 years in my 95 ta and 2 years in my 02 ta and know what the judges look for and have worked my *** off trying to catch another win. This year was the worst, Ive never seen two more poor of examples of a Winning SHOW CAR! Personally any person who would take a spray paint can to a car and just start spraying everything you can get your hands on isnt adding custom touches he or she is only taking away from the valve of that vehicle.. Dont even get me started on the decals some of this cars have, god we all know its a trans am and is ram air it says it on the doors and the hood from the factory we dont need 50 thousand decals all over a vehicle to remind us!! Decals dont make it a Show WINNER WOW!! ALot of people in the m-3 class put tons of time into there vehicles and pay very close attention to detail as to pull wheels, polish everything possiable, re-paint , clean and clean ect. ect until their hands fall off to come and get beat by vehicles far FAR from show quality!! Im not saying my car should have won anything but Honestlly what was the judges basing those choices on. And as for the wheel wells on that SHOW WINNING Gold thing I guess the judges missed all the dirt and bullshit building up in his front wheel wells!! Sell me on that win please

My point was you can't bang your head up against the wall with **** you can't control. Robbie got screwed last year and we all now it-but I have no clue what those judges look at---I get my score sheets and wonder about numbers also. I go to hang out with my friends from Pa. & Mass.---they just tech me into that class so thats where I park. I thought there were some ligit cars in M-3---But I don't judge and a lot of times I don't agree either.
I am looking forward to your shots in the mag.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish they would just drop the judging and trophies all together. I've been there many years and only once on Sunday. I love to come and talk to other Firebird and TA owners and see their cars. Its great to have a large gathering where we can see many cars in one place like ours. I enjoy Saturday the best. I have a garage full of trophies and care less if I win any up there. I see many cars making it to the winners circles and wonder how they made it there. People complain every year about this and it would be nice just to have a large event and do some fun things instead of cleaning all weekend. A lot of the cars won't even go on the lot before Sunday. Most cars might not show if no judging was taking place but I think the atmosphere would improve? I'm all for dropping the trophies or giving everybody one, LOL.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish they would just drop the judging and trophies all together. I've been there many years and only once on Sunday. I love to come and talk to other Firebird and TA owners and see their cars. Its great to have a large gathering where we can see many cars in one place like ours. I enjoy Saturday the best. I have a garage full of trophies and care less if I win any up there. I see many cars making it to the winners circles and wonder how they made it there. People complain every year about this and it would be nice just to have a large event and do some fun things instead of cleaning all weekend. A lot of the cars won't even go on the lot before Sunday. Most cars might not show if no judging was taking place but I think the atmosphere would improve? I'm all for dropping the trophies or giving everybody one, LOL.
That is the best idea yet--I'm all for that!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Hell i'd go for that. I registered this year but didnt even really bother to clean the car. My car had issues so i drve a friends 183k mile Formula down. Damn well knowing it wouldnt wil I registered to help the cause.
I still think the best part of the weekend is the drive to Tipp City.

If i could change one thing, it would be BRING BACK THE DRAG RACE!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Looks like it was taken after I had to leave as I picked up a nail, at the showfield, to get my near flat fixed.

Dan, I found out why I didnt get a 2nd place in our class with my mint 2 week old restoration.

They only award one trophy per 5 cars, so small classes with nice cars get "screwed".

BTW, here's my car next to Dan's:

Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Some more pics.

http://community.webshots.com/user/9...host=community

I have many more I'll add plus some engine pictures.

Quick Reply: 2009 Trans Am Nationals in Dayton, Ohio