Other Special Events Gatherings | Shows | Cruises

HOT ROD Drag Week

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005 | 09:28 PM
Teching In

Default HOT ROD Drag Week

Check this out: five days, five dragstrips, you have to drive the car up to 330 miles from track to track, and the lowest average e.t. over the week wins. We're doing it September 11-16, starting in Kansas City and ending up in Martin, Michigan. The only really relevent rule is that you may not trailer, puch, drag, or tow the race car in any way, and no chace trucks. You can change anything you want along the way, but anything you need must be carried in the race vehicle or in a trailer towed by the race car.

Preregistration is $125. Call 877/413-6515. Full rules are in the June and July issues of HOT ROD.

DF
Old 05-03-2005 | 11:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

$125 to race all five tracks?
Old 05-04-2005 | 04:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
$125 to race all five tracks?
That's correct. We wanted to make it free like Pump Gas Drags, but the Drag Week is costing us a TON. I figured $125 usually pays for a weekend race, so a full week is a good deal. The price goes up to $150 on site.

DF
Old 05-04-2005 | 10:12 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds awesome, but I think alot of the "real street cars" that are fast, will not pass tech for how fast they are.

Great Lakes Dragaway holds the "Real Street Drags", and their tech for that event is much more lenient, as it is mostly a group of street racers, with street cars.

Any chance on being a little lenient on tech to allow some of the fast true street cars?

And even if not, most tracks I have been to allow you 3 runs before you're booted out. That would be enough to get your timeslip and move on to the next track.
Old 05-05-2005 | 01:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Sounds awesome, but I think alot of the "real street cars" that are fast, will not pass tech for how fast they are.

Great Lakes Dragaway holds the "Real Street Drags", and their tech for that event is much more lenient, as it is mostly a group of street racers, with street cars.

Any chance on being a little lenient on tech to allow some of the fast true street cars?

And even if not, most tracks I have been to allow you 3 runs before you're booted out. That would be enough to get your timeslip and move on to the next track.
This event is already costing us a fortune. A liability suit would kill it. Cars must meet NHRA rules.

Also, don't forget this is not just for 8-second rides. Lots of slower cars will be there for the fun of it. It's an unforgettable road trip.

DF
Old 05-05-2005 | 05:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

1- Can you change tires?
2- What about race gas?
3- Like Jim was saying, what if someone cranks off a couple of 9.5's, but does not have all the safety stuff?
Old 05-05-2005 | 06:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

1, yes- if you have your other tires in your car.. no chase/tow/support vehicles allowed
2. yes.
3. I'm fighting off a major urge to to be a smartass, but see DF's response, all cars must be legal.
Old 05-05-2005 | 08:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brady
1, yes- if you have your other tires in your car.. no chase/tow/support vehicles allowed
2. yes.
3. I'm fighting off a major urge to to be a smartass, but see DF's response, all cars must be legal.
Brady's right.

DF
Old 05-05-2005 | 09:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Whoopee, thanks so much Brady.
Old 05-07-2005 | 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

I like the concept. It seems to be catered to the EFI crowd and has a lot of potential, but the fact no chase vehicles are allowed will discourage alot of fast cars. If in fact one does break and they are far away from home what do they do; call a tow truck? Example: I live in MN and would first have to drive to Kansas approx 600 miles just to start, if I broke down in between or near Michigan I would literally be stranded hundreds of miles away with no backup. Doesn't make sense.

I routinely drive my car 450 miles round trip from MN to IA to race at a decent track.
Last year I drove from MN to Byron, IL ran high 11's and drove it home with zero problems. But I hesitate on entering this because of the long distance involved and the fact no chase vehicles are allowed.

This seems to catered to stock or near stock cars, not truly fast street cars. Cars like Vipers, C5 ZO6's and 03 Cobras will probably be the norm and take the win.

You should amend the rules and allow chase vehicles to tag behind the main group, BUT all race vehicles must drive together as a group with a predesignated leader and tail vehicle to prevent entrants from sneaking off to put their cars on a trailer between tracks. My .02
Old 05-07-2005 | 09:37 PM
single digit dreamer

this sounds prety fun.

will there be race fuel available to buy at the tracks or will you have to carry enough for all 5 tracks?

i am concerned about the lack of a chase vehicle too. i am 99% sure if i was to do this there would be another truck load of people going with just to watch, it would be nuts for them to not drag around a trailer just in case i broke something. i can't wait to see the exact rules.
Old 05-08-2005 | 09:02 AM
Teching In

I couldn't agree more with Gino and Parish. I really think Hot Rod should reevaluate their position on chase vehicles. First of all, there is NO WAY you can enforce this. Guys will simply have one, but remain in the shadows. They take alternate routes,dealy their departure times,etc. The multiple track locations assure they will be far from home. Many of these guys run hard to find parts. If they brake, their screwed. This will scare off MANY cars.
It looks like this type of format is designed for REAL street cars. I think it's a great idea. For enforcement, have them drive in a group with a lead and back car. But allow them to have a chase car or trailer simply for security and safety. The mileage will weed out any pump gas 800 lift cam cars or street pretenders. I won't do it without the security of a trailer. If I have to use it, I'm DQ'd. End of story.
Tom
Old 05-08-2005 | 01:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

My point on the gas Brady was that some folks might have to carry 25-50 gallons of gas if they run race gas, and I think some folks might feel funny about that... SEEE? [insert doy face]
Old 05-11-2005 | 03:47 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
My point on the gas Brady was that some folks might have to carry 25-50 gallons of gas if they run race gas, and I think some folks might feel funny about that... SEEE? [insert doy face]
Then people that rely on race gas to make their race cars run should stay home.

Amoco 93 or nothing. My biggest problem would be if rain came up. But that's my problem to deal with.

Hmm, Kansas City to Martin. Just a quick peek at the map makes me think.
-KCIR (KC)
-Waitway (St. Louis)
-IRP (Indy)
-Norwalk (Norwalk, OH)
-US31 (Martin, MI)

Sounds like a damn good time! Each leg is about 4 hours of driving (@ 75mph). So is there a reward for fastest times and whatnot?
Old 05-12-2005 | 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

The worst thing to me about the whole deal is the "Legal" thing. Many cars that would attend including myself do not have things like a cage, scattershield, 5 point harness, cutoff switch, chute, ETC.
I do not run any of this because I have a "street" car, not a race car. I only get 2 runs at GLD, but that is good enough for me to not warrent putting $3k worth of safety stuff and butcher my old street car.

So if you think about it.... hypothetically they are saying if you are loaded, you can win.
I could build a fresh radical 800 ci. mountain motor with a turbo and drive the whole trip tearing up my $50,000 motor and win in my NHRA-certified 7 second race car. BUT, a guy with a very well set up stock chassis car with his cheap 1000-1500 hp motor like me or alot of other people, are stuck not being able to race with our "real" stck suspended, stock chassis, full interior street cars.
Old 05-12-2005 | 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
The worst thing to me about the whole deal is the "Legal" thing. Many cars that would attend including myself do not have things like a cage, scattershield, 5 point harness, cutoff switch, chute, ETC.
I do not run any of this because I have a "street" car, not a race car. I only get 2 runs at GLD, but that is good enough for me to not warrent putting $3k worth of safety stuff and butcher my old street car.

So if you think about it.... hypothetically they are saying if you are loaded, you can win.
I could build a fresh radical 800 ci. mountain motor with a turbo and drive the whole trip tearing up my $50,000 motor and win in my NHRA-certified 7 second race car. BUT, a guy with a very well set up stock chassis car with his cheap 1000-1500 hp motor like me or alot of other people, are stuck not being able to race with our "real" stck suspended, stock chassis, full interior street cars.
Take John Meany's 160 mph pumpgas vette for example, that is a serious fast, yet docile street car. He could'nt enter unless he had his TT motor in a race car or completely trashed his vette and turned it into a full blow race car to go 8.0's! Then it would'nt be a street car would it?
Old 05-12-2005 | 11:24 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Meany is like 135 on pump 93, and 160mph on C16. If I ran a car like his, I would have 10 gallons of C16 in the tank. Figure you use it all up racing and driving to the track. You would need 25-50 gallons then.
Old 05-13-2005 | 08:59 AM
8 Second Club

I think this is going to be a great deal! I'm already making plans to show up!

Those of you that are complaining about having to be legal.....

This is a sanctioned event, being run on NHRA sanctioned racetracks, with national media coverage. Insurance and liability constraints prohibit allowing non-legal cars from running. Plain and simple.

So you set out to build a quick street car. Good for you. I give you my props. You say you didn't want to cut the car up to put a rollbar or cage in it. Fine. But if you want to play with everybody else at an organized event, YOU HAVE TO BE LEGAL! That's why you get kicked out of your home track! It's not safe for you and anyone else on the property.

If you wanted a fast 'street car', but didn't want to make it legal to race on a racetrack, that's your choice. But quit complaining about it!!! If you're not legal to go the ET and MPH your car is capable of, STAY HOME and QUIT WHINING!

I'm getting sick of it!
Old 05-13-2005 | 09:24 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mongse
Then people that rely on race gas to make their race cars run should stay home.

Amoco 93 or nothing. My biggest problem would be if rain came up. But that's my problem to deal with.

Hmm, Kansas City to Martin. Just a quick peek at the map makes me think.
-KCIR (KC)
-Waitway (St. Louis)
-IRP (Indy)
-Norwalk (Norwalk, OH)
-US31 (Martin, MI)

Sounds like a damn good time! Each leg is about 4 hours of driving (@ 75mph). So is there a reward for fastest times and whatnot?
Actually, it's going to be:

KCIR
Gateway
National Trail (Columbus, OH)
US31
And a track to be named (I would guess Indy, but not sure)
Old 05-13-2005 | 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

All I am saying, is that a car that goes mid 8's has so much safety stuff on it it is not a practical street car anymore. Have you seen the cage you need to be legal for that! Hotrod is pushing the "Lets race your pumpgas street car and drive it cross country" But it has to be a race car to compete due to safety requirements! Kind of a catch 22 situation. That is all I am saying.

They could have all entrants sign waivers saying it's no big deal if they die. I had to sign one when I used to race motocross, same deal.

Basically, it is who can detune or beat up there race car the most to win.

My local track will kick me out with my old motor for going 11.0 after I drive there 30 miles with my baby, wife, 17" performance street tires and pumpgas. That is not that fast!

Do you see my point at all??

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
I think this is going to be a great deal! I'm already making plans to show up!

Those of you that are complaining about having to be legal.....

This is a sanctioned event, being run on NHRA sanctioned racetracks, with national media coverage. Insurance and liability constraints prohibit allowing non-legal cars from running. Plain and simple.

So you set out to build a quick street car. Good for you. I give you my props. You say you didn't want to cut the car up to put a rollbar or cage in it. Fine. But if you want to play with everybody else at an organized event, YOU HAVE TO BE LEGAL! That's why you get kicked out of your home track! It's not safe for you and anyone else on the property.

If you wanted a fast 'street car', but didn't want to make it legal to race on a racetrack, that's your choice. But quit complaining about it!!! If you're not legal to go the ET and MPH your car is capable of, STAY HOME and QUIT WHINING!

I'm getting sick of it!

Quick Reply: HOT ROD Drag Week