Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Opinions on this aftermarket hood...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what company made the hood ? ... warning stay away from liberty fiberglass . those
hoods are total **** . they also go by HOOD FOR SALE ON EBAY. i had a bad experience
dealing with them . they got a F rating with the ohio BBB.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevGTO
It's hard to tell because of the black, but it looks like you had fewer fitment problems than I did with my VFN hood that cost 3x as much.

I would cut out the scoops and hood brace, order a couple of factory screens for the nostrils, have it painted body color and call it good.
My thoughts exactly. Granted those pics won't exactly make defects jump right out at you, but the fact that yours was able to just bolt on says you at least had less issues than I did. **** my VFN hood wouldn't even close on the initial test fit! And we're not talking like it was barely off, we're talking super cockeyed with one side hanging over the fender and the back of the hood cowl coming so far back that the hood couldn't even come down half way.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Default ws6 hood struts

do not use the stock hood struts as you're just asking for trouble.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by McNord@6LE
You could show up without your hood so you can test fit. It will probably take some time to get it to fit perfectly, you may need to adjust your fenders & head light covers, a couple of times before everything lines up good. Dont expect to be able to just bolt it on and go, there is a little more to it than that. Also if you just bolt it on don't expect everything to be perfect, you will also need to get the latch situated before you head home with the new hood. I have heard rumors that a hood will fit in the hatch, but I have never tried it.
If it takes that much work then in my opinion it is NOT a good hood. My suncoast hood literally bolted right up and fit great. It was a little low on the passenger side front but I just raised the hood bump stops so it wouldn't sit as low and now it sits perfect. The latch bolted right in and required no adjustment whatsoever. In my opinion THAT is a good hood.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Tuner_06
If it takes that much work then in my opinion it is NOT a good hood. My suncoast hood literally bolted right up and fit great. It was a little low on the passenger side front but I just raised the hood bump stops so it wouldn't sit as low and now it sits perfect. The latch bolted right in and required no adjustment whatsoever. In my opinion THAT is a good hood.
I don't know if you realize how lucky you are, dude. FRP Fiberglass (traditional fiberglass) just isn't a consistent material. It tends to move around as it goes through temperature changes and such when its not cured yet. So even if it comes out of the mold perfect there is no guarantee of it staying perfect. sometimes you'll get lucky and have a hood fit awesome out of the box. Talk to any real body man though (like McNord) and they'll tell you that's not how it usually goes. I know there are guys that get the same hood as I have and just pretty much have it fit awesome with very little work. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them
Old 06-27-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I feel like I was VERY lucky. I agree as I've looked at aftermarket hoods over the years how inconsistant they can be! All I'm saying is if you can get it to fit with out having to mess with the fenders the go for it. If it's going to require moving fenders then it's not worth it bc then the rest of the car panels might become un-aligned. If that is even a word.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok in the front, it "teeters" on the latch. To get the left corner down, raise the rubber stopper on the right. If it requires SO much of that that the right is too high. Lower the bumpers and lower the hood latch assembly and start again. For the back, you may need to bore out the existing holes in the hinges to get the amount of adjustment you need. Washers will raise the corner that needs it. Don't use the factory hood struts as they will put too much stress on the hood and crack it eventually. Vfnfiberglass.com sells 'lighter' hood struts for like $40 and will give you a LS1Tech.com member discount.

Quick Reply: Opinions on this aftermarket hood...