Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Opinions on this aftermarket hood...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Opinions on this aftermarket hood...

I've been looking around locally for a WS6 hood, whether it be OEM or fiberglass. I've come across some guy selling this fiberglass piece for a pretty low price, and I wanted to get some opinions from anyone who's in the know about aftermarket hoods. Should I be turned off by the fact that I have to cut open the holes for the scoops and airbox for example? Do you guys see anything from the photos that should make me turn away from this thing? Every fiberglass piece I've looked at looks the same to me, so any input is appreciated...
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on this aftermarket hood...-hoodtop.jpg   Opinions on this aftermarket hood...-hoodbottom.jpg   Opinions on this aftermarket hood...-hoodtopfront.jpg   Opinions on this aftermarket hood...-hoodrear.jpg  
Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not too familiar with the "details" on WS6 hoods as far as what normally has to be cut, but I do know that the OEM hood is fiberglass as well. You are not going to find a WS6 hood that isn't.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I keep forgetting that the OEM piece is fiberglass as well. I guess I'm going to have to just go and see this thing.

Now, I'm a total body panel 'noob, but I'm pretty much gonna' have to yank my hood off when and if I go check this thing out so I can do a test fit, right?

Last edited by myk; 11-07-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a nice hood imo. yes test fit the hood because some after market hoods can be alittle warped, bad molds, ect.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could show up without your hood so you can test fit. It will probably take some time to get it to fit perfectly, you may need to adjust your fenders & head light covers, a couple of times before everything lines up good. Dont expect to be able to just bolt it on and go, there is a little more to it than that. Also if you just bolt it on don't expect everything to be perfect, you will also need to get the latch situated before you head home with the new hood. I have heard rumors that a hood will fit in the hatch, but I have never tried it.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks fine, but like you said, you will need to cut holes.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by WS.666
Looks fine, but like you said, you will need to cut holes.
Same thing I was thinking
Old 11-12-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

the hood will fit in the hatch with the rear seat down and the removal of one of the interior side panels...i know this for a fact
Old 11-13-2008, 05:24 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

That's a relief. I had started to think that I would have to borrow a truck, or take the bus or something.

In any case, is there some kind of dead, give-away sign that the hood is defective or otherwise can't be used? I actually went and saw the hood last night, and I really didn't know what to look for. There were no cracks, chips or marks of any kind-it was really clean even though the seller claims to have had this thing for about 4 years. I was thinking about setting the hood on a table to see if it was even, but I didn't think I'd be able to tell by doing that. I'd just hate to buy this thing and then realize that I can't use it.

As for the holes, do I just, um, dremel those out or something? lol...
Old 11-27-2008, 10:32 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Well, I fitted the hood and for a $150 hunk of fiberglass it didn't fit too badly at all. In fact, I bolted it on for the first time and I was largely satisfied with it. Obviously being ghetto-cheap is the idea here, so I've painted the hood primer black with a few rattle cans. Sorry for the wierd 'pics, but it was about 2 in the AM and raining. I haven't cut out the nostril holes yet, as I'm still waiting on the mesh screens.

I'm hoping this thing doesn't break at some point, especially when I try the stock hood struts which are pretty damn strong. All in all though, I think I'm going to save up for a factory hood, but this will definitely do for now. Opinions though: should I leave the hood flat black/primer black or should I get the hood to match the car? I like seeing the color difference because I LOVE the WS6 hood and it's nice to see it stand out. On the other hand, seeing it blend in with the rest of the body is nice too. Finally, thanks to all who provided their input for this thread...
Old 11-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It's hard to tell because of the black, but it looks like you had fewer fitment problems than I did with my VFN hood that cost 3x as much.

I would cut out the scoops and hood brace, order a couple of factory screens for the nostrils, have it painted body color and call it good.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:25 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Actually I have the same problem that I've seen alot of other members have: either the left or right rear corner comes up a bit. Also, I could swear that the tip of the hood sticks out over the nose too much. I suppose I could play with it, but considering the price of the hood and the knowledge that I will go factory down the road I'm not concerned. It still looks awesome to me...
Old 11-29-2008, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

ls1's suuuuuck!

:O
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

The hood shocks are the same for the metal flat hood and the SMC WS6 hood, you'll be fine.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Default Hood!

It looks pretty good from your pictures. I'd make the minor adjustments and mods and paint it to match the rest of the car and see how it holds up. After market hoods are not quite forgiving when it comes time for install. I'd say your best bet to find an oem hood is to look for someone who is parting out their car for parts. A brand new oem 2000 SS hood for my car was 1800.00 with jell coat 5 years ago!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yea like you said up above save up for a factory hood don't forget you get what you pay for! but i'm not going to lie it looks better than what I thought it was going to look.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

What I can say is this. I got a used but un painted Ws.9 hood, which I got for $450 and it bolted upwith out much issue. I did hog out the driverside hinge to get it to shift, and still wasnt right.

for my xmas gift from the in-laws, they sent it out to be fitted and painted. I got the whole front clip done and its flawless. But all the panels had to come off, to be lined properly and there was some cutting and clearencing of the hood.

The only thing I am afraid of is the weight of the hood, not all fiberglass is made the same and you can end up having one that weighs more then OEM or even your flat steel hood.

I will link some pics up, I still need to upload them to the site.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

not bad looking
Old 05-31-2010, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

looks great
Old 05-31-2010, 07:06 PM

Can't beat it for the price!

Quick Reply: Opinions on this aftermarket hood...