Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Fix Hood Fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 02:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try taking a peek at this writeup I did a while back. It was verbatim how I aligned my hood with VFN's help. It might prove to help you and your body shop out immeasurably.

http://ltxtech.com/forums/dynamics/s...hp?e=8&catid=4
Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Thanks, Phantom. I'd seen your write-up in the context of another thread but had forgotten. It shows pretty much all the adjustment I have left - which is at the hood hinges. Hopefully I'm going to go to my buddy's shop today and get his die grinder working.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Well, I made some progress yesterday. Ground out the bolt holes and got it so the rear of the hood lines up with the fender but then it gradually gets higher toward the front. It's better but still 1/4" above the fenderline at the headlight covers on both sides.

I've adjusted the headlight covers to blend so it doesn't look too bad, but still far from factory fit. It's not touching the bumpstops and is down as low as it can go in the front without hitting the bumper.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this problem with mine. The drivers side sticks up almost 3/4 of a inch. I tried drilling everything you possibly could to no avail. I have the D/S stopper up front totally out and it still sits up 3/4 a inch on that side. At the time I needed the hood so i couldn't afford to send it back. I have one on my camaro also that does the same thing but not as bad on the same side. Next time i will just get a pin on.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:49 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey, you should post some pictures of what your car looks like now. I'm sure that to many of us it probably looks acceptable, maybe even pretty good.

Personally, as long as it's not too far out I wouldn't be upset. I was always under the impression that even from the factory these cars certainly didn't have perfectly fitting panels...
Old 11-24-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did the bodyshop not pre-fit the hood before painting?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by VinR1
did the bodyshop not pre-fit the hood before painting?
As I said in my first post, they said they did. But they may have just laid it on without bolting it up. When I got there and saw it installed, the fit was terrible.

The car is down in a storage garage for the rest of the week. I'm planning to go down there Friday and get some fresh pics.

Quick Reply: Fix Hood Fitment?