Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Fix Hood Fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Default Fix Hood Fitment?

I had my VFN WS6 hood painted and installed by a body shop over the past couple of weeks. They had called and left messages that they had prepped it, it fit well, etc. and then one that stated that the car was ready to pick up.

Well when I got there today, I found the hood fitment extremely poor. After fooling around with it, the best we could get it is 1/2" above the fender line on the driver's side. Not good. The gap around the headlight covers is large, too.

Is there way to get that side of the hood down? It's not touching the stop in front. I was thinking about elongating the bolt holes on the hinge. Anyone with ideas, experience?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes there is i had the same problem with a us exotics hood. I had to loosen all the fender bolts and pull up on it with all i had and tighten them back up. Then i had to make the light brackets also move up, so i took them off and made the holes oval so i had play up and down worked great. Now you cant even tell. But over all that is a bad hood if you have to do all the stuff i had to do. I did not want to have to go through all the hassel of sending it back and all that so i improvised. you will also have to play with the light lid to get that aligned as well. You have some play up and down with that too. Once you exhaust that then i would mess with the light brackets. You might also have to mess with the bolts on the hood brackets themselvs. I had to make them bigger also. Its a PITA. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:08 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I know you wanna' fix it yourself, but you've paid good money for a service that wasn't rendered to your satisfaction; I'd take it back there and get it done right...
Old 11-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Pontiacerator

I'm disappointed both in the product and the body shop. If it fit lousy when they test fit it - and I instructed them to - they should have told me, and not leave me a reassuring message that it's all good.

Now the thing is painted - and SOM paint is expensive - and it fits horribly.

I haven't paid in full yet. I left without saying too much because I had to get my head together about it and inspect it thoroughly. We're going to have a "come to Jesus" meeting about it next week and hopefully they'll work it some more.

But I can't blame them for a crappy product. I paid good money for this hood - and even more to have it painted - and it's a POS.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Man i feel you on that one. And if i am not mistaken vfn tells you to not paint it until fitment is right. You also have to drive with it for like two weeks before you get it painted because that takes all the warp out of it that would happen with heat and weather etc... Then you get the body shop to do body work and paint.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Man i feel you on that one. And if i am not mistaken vfn tells you to not paint it until fitment is right. You also have to drive with it for like two weeks before you get it painted because that takes all the warp out of it that would happen with heat and weather etc... Then you get the body shop to do body work and paint.
Makes sense but this car isn't my DD ... I dunno if some of the warp will come out of it, but I don't drive the car that much and the weather's turning cold.

But it would be good if the fiberglass would, in a sense, relax, and the edges would come down. Probably just wishful thinking at this point.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The body shop should have had you inspect it once they prefit it to verify you liked the body lines, then they should of painted it. I got a True Fiber hood and i prefit it myself and ran it on the car for 2 months unpainted. When I got it painted they messed up the lines bad and couldnt get it back. I then refit it myself and they knocked off an hour on the labor. Long story a short, take it back to them and give them the opportunity to fix it and if you can stay and watch.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:27 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Wow, really? I'm about to buy a fiberglass WS6 hood and that's interesting to hear.

So, I bolt it on myself, drive it for a while, then take it in?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Unless you have drilled out the hinges to help with the fitment you can't really complain, it says that you will more than likely have to do that to get a perfect fit. When I installed mine I didn't want to go through the hassle so the fit is good but not great. Hopefully soon I will make the time to oval out the hinges and get it to a near perfect fit.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
Unless you have drilled out the hinges to help with the fitment you can't really complain, it says that you will more than likely have to do that to get a perfect fit.
That's good to know. I looked at the instructions when I first got it, but they went to the body shop with the hood. I don't remember what they said.

I talked to VFN about driving it with it installed before painting and they said it wasn't necessary. I asked because I don't drive the car much.

Somebody said that it seems like the hood is too small. That's how it is. It's not long enough or wide enough. Then it's warped upwards on one side.

I posted up because it was Friday and wanted to get your suggestions. I'll talk to VFN on Monday. I think I'll get it pretty close by the time it's all said and done.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevGTO

Somebody said that it seems like the hood is too small. That's how it is. It's not long enough or wide enough. Then it's warped upwards on one side.
Ditto all of that on mine.
Next time i bite the bullet and go OEM.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
Ditto all of that on mine.
Next time i bite the bullet and go OEM.
Just to add insult to injury, we placed the original hood in the box in my buddy's pickup, but didn't secure it. As he was driving back, a big gust of wind came up and it went flying out.

Thankfully, no accidents or injuries, but the hood got crunched. So now more $$$$ if wanted to put that back on ... one of those moments when you start thinking, "I'm just going to take the hit, sell the car, and be done with it."
Old 11-15-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by myk
Wow, really? I'm about to buy a fiberglass WS6 hood and that's interesting to hear.

So, I bolt it on myself, drive it for a while, then take it in?
The heat plays big on these fiberglass hoods, even the hood supports will warp some of the fiberglass, some people drill holes so that they have no pressure and intall safety pins. I just intalled it on the car for two weeks and all the inperfections came out, there was bulges and bumps everywhere. After that i primered surfaced it, blocked it and sanded smooth. I had to spot putty some parts where i had to sand into the fiber hood itself. Its really alot of work.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

I did notice that mine is also a tad bit small but I have read that you can loosen the fenders and front bumper, push them in, and retighten. That should help fill in the gaps.
Also, are you using both hood struts or one. I'm only using one and I don't have much trouble closing or opening the hood. When I hooked both struts up I was too scared to close it because I thought I was going to rip the hood in half.
The hood is definitely very "flimsy" in certain areas, kind of scary but the newer hoods should have some extra reinforcement around the strut area.
I think it just takes a lot of time and dedication to get it to fit near perfect, I mean, we spend hours and days installing things like headers, brakes, stereo systems, camshaft, etc. we might as well put that amount of time into the hood.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Pontiacerator

Yeah, I have both struts on. I was going to drill a hole in one, but it probably makes the most sense just to take one off. I've raised the headlight covers and that helped a little. I didn't know that the whole headlight assemblies can be raised, but that could potentially help some more.

Fitment is ok at the front bumper. Maybe it'll be possible to move the front fenders in and then bring the hood down by drilling out the brackets on the passenger side.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

just make sure you get a strong grinding bit to cut/enlarge the hinge holes. I had a corded drill and large drill bit and after a few minutes of grinding that damn thing it opened up about 1/16 of an inch, so we gave up.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bird_Of_Prey
No surprise. I had issues as well. Perhaps they should note on their website that an added feature of every hood is the need for 15+ hours of body work to make it look decent. I gave up on mine.

Damn, that sucks, kinda look like the hood just doesn't have enough curve built into it.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Pontiacerator

Update: Jeanie at VFN read the thread and pm'ed me about the problem and is confident their folks can guide me (or the body shop) to a solution. It was really nice of them and an outstanding example of customer service. Here are some pics of the main problem I'm contending with:
Attached Thumbnails Fix Hood Fitment?-hood-pics-001.jpg   Fix Hood Fitment?-hood-pics-002.jpg  
Old 11-21-2008, 02:33 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

I wonder how they're gonna' talk that one through-keep us updated!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, let's keep this on the hood's fitment instead of the "I have a hood from them and it sucks" replies. If you have an issue, call them, make a thread in sponsor feedback, whatever, I don't care. Keep it on topic.

Quick Reply: Fix Hood Fitment?