Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

dick harrell body style

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dick harrell body style

Ever since I've owned my 01 SS and saw the 02 Dick Harrell Camaro, I've been envious of the cosmetic appearance of them.. I know the obvious differences being the widened rear quarters/fenders, the spoiler, and hood; what other body difference is there besides it being a painted hard-top. Is the rest of the car widened as well, or not?

Also, is the cowl hood that Sunoco makes the same style that is on the Harrell Camaro's?

I'm sure some will probably flame me for this, but to each their own; however, I would like to for lack of better words, clone mine to that of the Harrell Camaro (without the decals & logos of course since it would not be a true Dick Harrell Edition Camaro).

What would it take to do this, and how hard would it be? From what I know, the fenders are indeed rolled, but to what extent and how would it be done? What else would need to be done?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Teching In

I saw a link in a post in this section regarding a company having a kit for purchase. I think it was $2500 for the whole body kit. Just do a search for camaro wide body. If I had a Camaro I would definitely lay down the cash for this mod.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't really ready your question; I'm just assuming it's the same that gets asked a few times a year.

The hood is made by Sunco (sponsor). The widebody fenders were created on the DH cars; they are not replacement fenders. No one makes them or the facia.

So, you can buy the hood, maybe have a good body guy do the wide fenders, but you still wont have the facia.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bret's WS6
I saw a link in a post in this section regarding a company having a kit for purchase. I think it was $2500 for the whole body kit. Just do a search for camaro wide body. If I had a Camaro I would definitely lay down the cash for this mod.
Maybe I;m wrong (I often am), but I don't think the company that wanted to put them out ever did. IIRC, the farthest I think they went was a few prototypes.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sharpe
I didn't really ready your question; I'm just assuming it's the same that gets asked a few times a year.

The hood is made by Sunco (sponsor). The widebody fenders were created on the DH cars; they are not replacement fenders. No one makes them or the facia.

So, you can buy the hood, maybe have a good body guy do the wide fenders, but you still wont have the facia.
Well mainly, I love the look of the rolled fenders, and the spoiler of DH cars. But from some of the research i've done, I just don't know that it would look right with that spoiler without the fenders being almost identical to how the DH one's were.

Also, any suggestions to how the best way to work on the fenders would be?

This would be the correct hood right?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

They're not "rolled." They were, like, molded. I've seen pics of the process, but I'm not at all a body guy. At all.

The fenders won't look right without the facia, IMHO.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sharpe

actually there is a company on ebay, that sells the wide quarters and wide fenders as a kit, buy it now price is about $350 dollars. the quarters go right over your old ones, and the fenders get swapped out.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...Q5fCarQ5fParts
Old 01-04-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

the ones off ebay fit like crap and you have to put the body lines in yourself. someone did them on here. do a search theres about a million threads regarding this topic. the quarters arent rolled either they are fiberglassed onto the exsisting quarter. w2w when they were around did a 1993 camaro with flared quarters in the back but thats extremely labor intensiv(100 hours from what im told) and about 8000.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
the ones off ebay fit like crap and you have to put the body lines in yourself. someone did them on here. do a search theres about a million threads regarding this topic. the quarters arent rolled either they are fiberglassed onto the exsisting quarter. w2w when they were around did a 1993 camaro with flared quarters in the back but thats extremely labor intensiv(100 hours from what im told) and about 8000.
they fit pretty decent but they need to be modified some. removing roughtly 1.5" from entire quarter minus wheelwell and adding hte body line isnt all that bad

if you look closely you can see where it was trimed. this allows you enough room to mold them in and still keep factory lines/seams.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know of a guy on another forum that did his own take on the rear fenders. Give me a second and I'll find the thread for you...

Edit: Here the link is, let me know if you can't see the pictures. Its some custom work, but it gives you and idk. Btw he does his own paint and body work.

http://www.z28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126248

Last edited by greg_74; 01-05-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ElectronSS
they fit pretty decent but they need to be modified some. removing roughtly 1.5" from entire quarter minus wheelwell and adding hte body line isnt all that bad

if you look closely you can see where it was trimed. this allows you enough room to mold them in and still keep factory lines/seams.
the ebay kit does in fact fit like *** out of the box, a little air saw work and they look like they belong now. the front fenders are as simple as fitting any other fender up.

this is also a great weight reduction mod for the front end.

try searching widebody in the appearance section as well
Old 01-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

it will be sick when its done
Old 01-21-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg_74
I know of a guy on another forum that did his own take on the rear fenders. Give me a second and I'll find the thread for you...

Edit: Here the link is, let me know if you can't see the pictures. Its some custom work, but it gives you and idk. Btw he does his own paint and body work.

http://www.z28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126248
Those flares look like . Why would you just flare the top? That car would look way better if he tapered the flare down the front and back edge of the wheel well opening. I really like the DH cars though. The quarter panels on those cars are way different then what that guy did.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

As far as I know, Mark (6litereater) is making the front facia for our cars. You can already get the sunoco hoods, but the fenders are going to be the real pain to find.

You can look around on his forum, and he's a sponser on here.

6litereaterdesigns.com
Old 01-25-2009, 02:53 PM

Ive done custom fender flares on my Camaro...not quite finished though I just need to do some slight filler work to protect and hide my welds but the metal work is done ill post pictures
Attached Thumbnails dick harrell body style-camaro-1.jpg   dick harrell body style-camaro-3.jpg   dick harrell body style-camaro-4.jpg   dick harrell body style-camaro-5.jpg   dick harrell body style-camaro-6.jpg  

dick harrell body style-camaro-7.jpg   dick harrell body style-camaro-8.jpg   dick harrell body style-camaro-9.jpg   dick harrell body style-camaro-10.jpg  
Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CekingCmaro
Ever since I've owned my 01 SS and saw the 02 Dick Harrell Camaro, I've been envious of the cosmetic appearance of them.. I know the obvious differences being the widened rear quarters/fenders, the spoiler, and hood; what other body difference is there besides it being a painted hard-top. Is the rest of the car widened as well, or not?

Also, is the cowl hood that Sunoco makes the same style that is on the Harrell Camaro's?

I'm sure some will probably flame me for this, but to each their own; however, I would like to for lack of better words, clone mine to that of the Harrell Camaro (without the decals & logos of course since it would not be a true Dick Harrell Edition Camaro).

What would it take to do this, and how hard would it be? From what I know, the fenders are indeed rolled, but to what extent and how would it be done? What else would need to be done?
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ros/index.html

good read on the making and history of the cars. you also better plan and planting some more horsepower under the hood. i believe the lowest output car was 400.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93maroonz
Ive done custom fender flares on my Camaro...not quite finished though I just need to do some slight filler work to protect and hide my welds but the metal work is done ill post pictures
Any updates?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ElectronSS

I hope those aren't rivets holding that quater on, and if they are I REALLY hoping that you are gonna remove them and actually weld it on. Cause if you just bondo over them it is gonna shrink up and yoiu will see them.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cvalliere
I hope those aren't rivets holding that quater on, and if they are I REALLY hoping that you are gonna remove them and actually weld it on. Cause if you just bondo over them it is gonna shrink up and yoiu will see them.
cant weld fiberglass to steel. however you can use panelbond to glue the overlays onto the quarter. what you see in hte pic is screws holding it temporary in place. the overlays have been 3M panelbond'd and glass over.

Im not sure of any bodyshop that uses bondo, I have used Duraglass and Rage on the quarter and will be using Icing once its time.

Quick Reply: dick harrell body style