Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Lambo door install- a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evilZO6
i'm putting them on my car for functionality. If i could open my doors 90 degrees up, it would be a lot more convenient. Our doors are wide and long. Here in california all parking lots are cramped like crazy. Most of the time if i want to drive my trans am, i end up having to squeeze out of my car and stopping my door from hitting the other car at the same time. It would just be easier to pop it up. The shocks are ated at 720 lbs. With the door panel off, you have to firce the door down. With it on, it it easy to open or close with one finger. If it wears out i'll just replace it like all shocks. theyre only 50bucks a pair.
i thought i was the only one who felt this way. i hate pulling into a cali parking lot with my nice trans am, and looking and feeling like an idiot trying to squeeze out the door while holding it to keep from banging the car next to me. and on returning, some jackass parks so close in the next spot that i have to wait for them to get back and move cuz i can't get in my car i completely understand how you would want these, not necessarily for looks, but for functionality. just don't know if the price tag is worth it plus install.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the price tag is insane! I weould have never paid that. My friend works at a shop that strictly does the verticle door inc kits and he ordered this kit for a camaro. They didnt ship it with the wiring extensions so verticle doors inc sent a second kit! Really cool of them. They gave my friend the option to send the kit back, or pay the 20% restocking fee of only $500. So he called me and i figured why not? If all else fails i could sell it. I'll take pics tomorrow but like i said, my car is in pieces lol. My share ended up being almost $800 but it was still better than $2500

Last edited by evilZO6; 02-03-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Before you ask, i DID ask him the questions i'm posting here. If you look at my first post hes the friend i mentioned. I realize he's a pro and all, but he's never done a firebird so he's not sure if you need to exten them or not, hes guessing you don't have to becuase he said they rarely use the extensions on anything other than trucks because of the extreme angle.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would like to see pic's too... Also be careful on opening those door's in a parking garge bro because my boy had some lambo door's on his charger and he tried too impress some chick's and hit the sealing That was some funny **** because he was paying to much attention to the female's.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
i thought i was the only one who felt this way. i hate pulling into a cali parking lot with my nice trans am, and looking and feeling like an idiot trying to squeeze out the door while holding it to keep from banging the car next to me. and on returning, some jackass parks so close in the next spot that i have to wait for them to get back and move cuz i can't get in my car i completely understand how you would want these, not necessarily for looks, but for functionality. just don't know if the price tag is worth it plus install.
LOL no ****! rofl, my ws6 is my DD and when i go to school its like pulling teeth just to get a parking spot on the same street, i cant count how many times i have banged my fingers between my door and someone elses just to get in or out of my car. my fingers hate me, but my car still loves me
Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
LOL no ****! rofl, my ws6 is my DD and when i go to school its like pulling teeth just to get a parking spot on the same street, i cant count how many times i have banged my fingers between my door and someone elses just to get in or out of my car. my fingers hate me, but my car still loves me
I know! Thats the worst is smashing your fingers. As promised, here are some pics. As warned, my car isn't pretty right now. Any more you want or any questions just ask

the way it opens now, its probably just as hard to get out. So if i cant adjust it to open 90 degrees i'll probably take them off.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude...i like it
Old 01-19-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm. I didn't know there was a "sportback" for the Firebird. Looks kinda cool and Different.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greendrazil
Hmm. I didn't know there was a "sportback" for the Firebird. Looks kinda cool and Different.

Yea i really like it. In person it looks sleak and very different. But everything that tears off on the back im going to paint flat black. So like where the window is and maybe the edges that come out towards the spoiler will be black, like the inside of it. Its molded on so there are no weather stripping lines. PLus i have another hatch, and actually, another white firebird which you can actually see in that picture, so i could switch it up if i get tired of it or decide i dont like it. I have a total of three hatches so i have every option. Stock WS6. Stock Firebird. Sportback. However, something i will never get tired of is taking off the glass. The rear glass is removable and with the t-tops off it truly feels like a convertible
Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Dude...i like it
Thank you!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where the line is in the hinge you could almost put another hinge there so the door could pivot towards the car some. have a stop so it can only go a few degrees and not smash the car. somehow make it force a return when closing it. that would definitely allow you to go 90.

i would love to be able to remove my rear glass. has to be a sweet feeling. good luck with the doors.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn where did you get the hatch? I actually dont mind the lambo doors, its just the fully riced out cars with the ninja bodykits that I dont like. Personally I like them on your car, looks really good.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
where the line is in the hinge you could almost put another hinge there so the door could pivot towards the car some. have a stop so it can only go a few degrees and not smash the car. somehow make it force a return when closing it. that would definitely allow you to go 90.
i would love to be able to remove my rear glass. has to be a sweet feeling. good luck with the doors.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! With the glass, its honestly the best of both worlds. Feels just as good as a convertible, but looks like a coupe. Plus ALL structural integrity is there, unlike a convertible where they hack parts of the unibody off,since nothings changes so no wind beffeting and actually, if for some crazy reason my car was twisted like a napkin the fiberglass would hold it together stronger than tempured glass. Visibility took a dive for sure but its already so hard to see out of our cars that it isn't much of a factor.

I'm not sure i quite understand what you mean. However, the shoulder of the hinge that rotates doesnt limit any range. Theres a screw inside that stops it from going up 90 degree or even 115 degree or beyond. it could actually articulate al the way to 240 degrees before it got in the way of itself. My question is how to adjust it properly i dont want to oakie rig it. I called them, a few times but they have wierd hours.

Originally Posted by 02BLKWS6MD
damn where did you get the hatch? I actually dont mind the lambo doors, its just the fully riced out cars with the ninja bodykits that I dont like. Personally I like them on your car, looks really good.
The hatch i got from rksport. Its actually not a whole hatch, it only replaces the glass on your factory hatch. Most of them you'll see will look like the glass was replaced becuase people keep the weatherstripping and just have the sportback (Thats what its called) glued in place just like you were simply changing out the glass. I took all the weatherstripping off, had it installed like any other glass, and then molded the lined which used to separate the glass/sportback from the rest of the hatch. Just google rksport sportback. I know of a place here in Sacramento that sells them and has them readily available. But they cost 900 and i'm sure shipping would be freight, i don't know if its worth it to you. But the open air feeling is awesome! Let me know if you're that interested and ill give you the link to the retailer.

see the lines? I think the way i went is the only way to go by molding it
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48..._sportback.jpg

Last edited by evilZO6; 01-19-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Psst, hey dude, I'm pretty sure your tires are on backward, lol.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol! And not to mention mismatched. I had to roll it out of the garage becuase we were having a big famliy party. It was on stands at the time. I grabbed whatever rim was close so yea, right now i have two bbs and two ws6 and theyre all on backwards! LOL It looks so sad right now.....i promise its in perfect condition i dont neglect it! I thought people were going to comment on the red drippy stuff all over it. I thought people were going to think i ran someone over lol.....
Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 PM

Im new to this page i was going to put a picture of my car but couldnt so if you want to see more send me a msg or something. Looks good by the way.....
Old 01-19-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm talking about the S bend just after the hole on the door side. if i had microsoft paint, i'd doodle something up for you. but i simply meant that the latch side of the door would pivot towards the car to a certain point allowing clearance on the hinge side so it doesn't contact the fender. it probably wouldn't work though or closing it would be a bitch.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HRTBEATZ28
Im new to this page i was going to put a picture of my car but couldnt so if you want to see more send me a msg or something. Looks good by the way.....
Thanks. See more of what? Do you have lambo doors on your car? It kind of sounds like youre referring to another post you made but i cant find one. Sorry for being confused. Id like to see your car though post it here or email me. Pm me if you need an email address
Old 01-24-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you tried all of the door movement with front fender on?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

No but i asked before i installed it. They said that since it pivets from such a high mounting point it isnt a problem. Im installing new fenders though so its going to be hard to button it all up. If they get in the way, i may modify them if it isnt too big a hassle or a compromise. Which brings up a point i forgot about. One of the brackets that holds on the fender has to be removed in order to install these. The one that bolts between the two factory door hinges. This new bracket lays flat against the hole the only way to keep it would be to drill through the bracket but it would move it out so far that it waould completely defeat the purpose. Just an observation that goes unforseen for people doing this in the future!

Quick Reply: Lambo door install- a few Q's