Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Lambo door install- a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lambo door install- a few Q's

im about to start my lambo door install and i was wondering if some exoerienced people could help me out. Please dont debate wether or not this is rice, or you would do it. I DONT CARE. I LIKE IT SO I'M DOING IT. DONT MAKE ANY POSTS IN MY THREAD THAT ARE NEGATIVE OR EXPRESSING AN OPINON IN A NEGATIVE WAY.

I was mainly wondering what i would have to do with the wireing harness. I have a friend who says it isn't necessary to extend it. Before i hack it up i was hoping some people would have pics and walkthroughs and such.

second, im using a verticle doors inc kit, the only patrented kit available. Very expensive. But i bought an overstock camaro kit. Im installing it on a firebird. Since it was shipped with the intentions of being installed on a camaro, it restricts the opening angle to a little more than 45 degrees due to the fender. I was told that since i was installing it on a firebird that i could adjust it to open 90 degrees. But i dont know how. Does any one know how?

Last edited by evilZO6; 01-18-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off; good luck on having a thread without a bunch of flaming.

Secondly; why a Firebird / Camaro door make a difference? Would it be because of the mirrors?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

I'd be interested to see how this turns out. I saw a walk threw on a site awhile back, i'll see if i can find it for ya. it wouldn't hurt to extend the harness alil bit. Keep us posted cant wait for pics. I'll see if i can find that guide for ya.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea it makes a difference because the mirrors on a camaro limit the range of motion. You have to trim the fender regardless and it leaves a gap in the body it looks horrible. But even worse, past more than 45 degrees and it will completely break off, or at least bend. With a firebird you dont have that problem and you're able to go 90 degrees or beyond if your kit is capable. Honestly, i have one on already. I have to figure out what to do with the harness. It looks like i have enough room in the wiring but i dont want to accidently rip something out. I'll post pics in a while once i get it done and buttoned up at least on one side. Its exciting. It looks ok. But i'm doing it for convienence. But i noticed shortly after starting that it will be more of a pain than a conviencience if it doesn't open 90 degrees.

extending the harness requires cutting and spliceing on two ends, 32 wires. More than you'd imagine. So if i dont absolutely have to do it, i won't.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

Yes please keep us updated and include pictures. Hope it turns out like you want. Thought about it for mine, but not sure because of wanting to run mine down the track hard and heavy. Not sure how it would hold up. Good Luck!!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Teching In

I had a gt factory lambo kit on my previous ws.6 and it did require extensions as well as a lot of welding. Do you have a weld or bolt on kit? I had mine installed professionally so i can't really give you a detailed write up.

I doubt anyone will have a write up on here. Everyone here flames all fbody's with lambo doors except for my old car which was rather surprising. Do a search for lambo doors and you'll see what mine looked like. It was sitting on Iforged aeros, i'm sure you'll know it when you see it.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

good luck replacing the shocks all the time. These doors are heavy as hell. Alot heavier then the normal car door and alot longer.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Restricted User

Why would you put lambo doors on an F-body???

But to each their own.... Good luck!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Good luck and post pics
Old 01-11-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lambo doors may look cool, neat, bad or whatever.... but I just wouldn't.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Teching In

Is a turbocharged B16 Civic SiR motor going to be the next swap?...

OK, OK, I know... thats an a55hole comment to make, but lambo doors imo should be on a lambo and on civics...
Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Banned

Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99_Z28
thats f%$#^ing awsome
Old 01-12-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol tsk tsk
Old 01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm putting them on my car for functionality. If i could open my doors 90 degrees up, it would be a lot more convenient. Our doors are wide and long. Here in california all parking lots are cramped like crazy. Most of the time if i want to drive my trans am, i end up having to squeeze out of my car and stopping my door from hitting the other car at the same time. It would just be easier to pop it up. The shocks are ated at 720 lbs. With the door panel off, you have to firce the door down. With it on, it it easy to open or close with one finger. If it wears out i'll just replace it like all shocks. theyre only 50bucks a pair.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by evilZO6
i'm putting them on my car for functionality. If i could open my doors 90 degrees up, it would be a lot more convenient. Our doors are wide and long. Here in california all parking lots are cramped like crazy. Most of the time if i want to drive my trans am, i end up having to squeeze out of my car and stopping my door from hitting the other car at the same time. It would just be easier to pop it up.
Are you serious? If you want to do then then fine but don't lie and say its for function.

Thats like saying you need heads and cam so you can climb your drive way.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GTABurnout
Are you serious? If you want to do then then fine but don't lie and say its for function.

Thats like saying you need heads and cam so you can climb your drive way.

LMAO I AGREE
Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

What the hell are you talking about? How is it not functional to put them up and out of the way rather than not bumping them against every car in the parking lot? I don't lie i don't care what people think of me or my car if you dont want it then don't do it. If i wanted them for look i would say i did. I like body kits! OOOOO! If i'd admit that i'd admit i was doing this for looks.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

how about you just dont park around people if ur a squeezing into parking spaces. You are the same guy that would post up about ur car getn dinged or scratched because you cant walk 2 more feet.

You cant honestly expect to come on here and expect people to give you good advice. I have seen enough of them in the past years on fuckn civics and imports to make me hate them on real lambos. There is no functionality about this. The shocks go bad often, these doors are fuckn heavy and long.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

every lambo kit that i have seen on a car that isnt a lambo is GARBAGE! They dont close and open right and will completly ruin a good car! DONT DO IT! ITLL NEVER OPEN A CLOSE RIGHT! Itll be real embarassing beating on your door trying to close it everywhere you go

Quick Reply: Lambo door install- a few Q's