Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What paint gun should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sata, Devilibliss, Iwata are a few good guns. I'm personally gonna try a devilibliss. I've used sata but I've heard devilibliss sprays nice. Only problem is they arent cheap.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

I sell DeVilbiss Finishline guns all day to people just like yourself... looking to get into a halfway decent gun but don't want to spend a lot of money. The new Finishline guns they just came out with are actually pretty decent. I sell them for about $150 and they come with two fluid tips (1.3/1.5 for the base/clear gun, and 1.8/2.2 for the primer gun) and a regulator.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

How much cfm is needed for one of these sprayguns? I painted a few cars a long time ago and I know it's a totally different game now. Thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Indyjc
How much cfm is needed for one of these sprayguns? I painted a few cars a long time ago and I know it's a totally different game now. Thanks
for the Finishline? the HVLP version about 12-13CFM @ 20-25psi... conventional 9-10CFM @ 35-40PSI
Old 01-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Restricted User

the 2 main things:

it needs to be a HVLP gun
you NEED a pressure regulator

For a beginner dont go spend ALOT of money!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Teching In

For starters, stay away from Iwata, Sata, etc. Those are high end and if you start out on a great gun, you will never learn anything. Start with a Sharpe Finex with the blue handle. They are baseline professional guns that are about $130 and you can get replacement parts for them and are very capable guns. I recommend starting lower end because you need to learn the gun. 1.8 tip for primer and between 1.2-1.4 for base and clear. I have this gun and if you look at the post about aftermarket hood fitment, you'll see what this gun can do. The up close shot will show you the texture. The finish is as is out of the gun. No cut/buff. I also have top of the line Iwata. Different class. You will see the results of it in a later post in the thread i told you about.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ricer
for the Finishline? the HVLP version about 12-13CFM @ 20-25psi... conventional 9-10CFM @ 35-40PSI
Yes I was looking at the finishline. Also the compressor I was looking at puts out about 10 cfm. Would the gun work with the compressor? Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

what capacity is this compressor (how many gallons)? CFM isnt as important as how much continuous air you actually have to work with. You could have a compressor that puts out 10CFM but will only do that for 20 seconds or so before it needs to recharge.. resulting in a drop in air pressure and uneven paint application
Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ricer the compressor is a single stage two cylinder 6.5 hp with a 60 gallon tank. Thanks again for your help. Did not intend to hijack the post, hopefully this info can help some else.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

60 gallon should be just fine.. go for it
Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ricer
what capacity is this compressor (how many gallons)? CFM isnt as important as how much continuous air you actually have to work with. You could have a compressor that puts out 10CFM but will only do that for 20 seconds or so before it needs to recharge.. resulting in a drop in air pressure and uneven paint application
I disagree. Since you regulate the pressure down anyway, your gun never sees a difference. The compressor turns on when the pressure drops below the preset level, 125-175 psi. Just because the compressor says 10 cfm, doesn't mean you can only use tools that use up to 10 cfm. Also that cfm rating is at a certain psi. My compressor is 80 gal with 13.x at 150 psi but a few cfm more at 90 psi. They all do that. You also take a break when painting. Ultimately, the line size dictates your actual cfm from tank to tool. Gallon will tell you air reserve and cfm tells how fast it will pump air at a given psi. Sorry to hijack, just don't want this guy to have a complex about compressors or paint guns. You can have the thread back now.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

The prep work is the hard part the better you prep the better its going to turn out. i agree the higher end guns are going to have a better product but it takes a lil more control. With a cheaper gun u may have a little more time wet sanding and wheeling but its still going to turn out great. nothing is going to turn out professional with out the the right equipment topline gun, vented booth, airfilters, air dryers , water traps.

My opinion start with a gun around 50 bucks (keep it clean) take your time prep work and dont rush. you cant go wrong
Old 01-22-2009, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JST8A5.0
I disagree. Since you regulate the pressure down anyway, your gun never sees a difference. The compressor turns on when the pressure drops below the preset level, 125-175 psi. Just because the compressor says 10 cfm, doesn't mean you can only use tools that use up to 10 cfm. Also that cfm rating is at a certain psi. My compressor is 80 gal with 13.x at 150 psi but a few cfm more at 90 psi. They all do that. You also take a break when painting. Ultimately, the line size dictates your actual cfm from tank to tool. Gallon will tell you air reserve and cfm tells how fast it will pump air at a given psi. Sorry to hijack, just don't want this guy to have a complex about compressors or paint guns. You can have the thread back now.
ok.. you basically said in detail what i was tryin tell the guy in simple terms.. guess i didn't word it properly

i was mainly trying to make a distinction between a 10 gallon tank compressor used for like nail guns vs an actual shop compressor. I get people coming into my shop all the time trying to paint a car with crap like that.. so thats where my mind went.. haha
Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Devilbiss Starting Line guns are great for cheep first guns.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=hlaalu;10840725]Looking for some opinions on what kind of gun I should get. QUOTE]

44 Magnum, most powerful handgun known to man.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing..Keep up toinformation about spray guns. I will buy one and work on my Camaros this coming summer
Old 01-29-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by BLULS1Z28
painting is all in the gun devilbiss makes some nice kits finish line and starting line good gun way better than a 40$ gun u will notice the diffrence i use a satta as a primer base and clear guns i also use a iwata clear gun the iwata is a expensive gun but worth every penny
I agree I love the Devilbiss guns they spray really smooth and soft. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a gravity feed gun and not a syphon. Syphon feed guns are alot cheaper however they are old school and require a higher psi setting, they also dont handle todays high solid paints (metalic) very well....HVLP guns (High Volume Low Pressure) are really nice too

If I was learning I would look for a used gun...but if you do this be careful to make sure all the parts are there and the gun has been taken care of and clean...ask to spray some scrap paint onto a piece of masking paper to check the adjustments and pattern and that the gun is working correctly...

Quick Reply: What paint gun should I get?