Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

got CME valance painted.. but doesnt look quite right

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
well your car is 8 years old... the paint on your car is probably going to be faded a little, if you gave the guy a paint code then its going to be brand new paint not blended.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I had my SS spoiler painted off the car and it looked like hell! The same guy that painted the spoiler did my front bumper and rear qtr. I had about 4 shades of white on my car at one time!!! Lucky for me someone backed into my front bumper and rear ended me last winter and I got the entire car repainted / blended.

The only way to get the paint to look perfect is to blend it!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well your car is 8 years old... the paint on your car is probably going to be faded a little, if you gave the guy a paint code then its going to be brand new paint not blended

exactly right. only thing i could say is if hes a really good painter see if he can blend it up into the bumper but your still working with new and old white paint
Old 01-22-2009, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

some painters are high on fumes i had a painter do some pretty stupid things so i just do it myself now. but ya its probably just that your car is faded. Or its because white is hard to match along with red.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some of the color differences could be that they always have different amounts and sources of light.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
well your car is 8 years old... the paint on your car is probably going to be faded a little, if you gave the guy a paint code then its going to be brand new paint not blended.
Yeah I had this happen to me on my white 94 Camaro. IMO it's most noticeable on white cars.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

since the painter is willing to fix it id say do it...sounds like good customer service
Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Teching In

just want to know where did u go to get ur exhaust done cuse i also have an cme that i want to put on mine i live in s central la thx
Old 01-26-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

also when you gave him the paint code did you leave anything for him to try and match the color to aswell? if you left a paint code only most guys just take the standard varient and go that route. whites the most noticeble when it comes to paint ware. fresh white will always look better then whats around it especially on paint that has been aged.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by unSStoppable
since the painter is willing to fix it id say do it...sounds like good customer service
i might go tomorrow morning to see what he says

Originally Posted by camaro19973
just want to know where did u go to get ur exhaust done cuse i also have an cme that i want to put on mine i live in s central la thx
i went to muffler doctor, i think that's the name, in montclair... there pretty good PM if you want more info about them
Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
also when you gave him the paint code did you leave anything for him to try and match the color to aswell? if you left a paint code only most guys just take the standard varient and go that route. whites the most noticeble when it comes to paint ware. fresh white will always look better then whats around it especially on paint that has been aged.
well i left my car there pretty much lol, he painted it and installed it... than came back and it was on my car and evreything... well he told me to go back if i wasnt happy about it, i might go talk to him just to see what he says cause even he told me it didnt match and he can maybe do lighten it up ( the white is darker on the valance)
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Snowman2K1
i might go tomorrow morning to see what he says

i went to muffler doctor, i think that's the name, in montclair... there pretty good PM if you want more info about them

well i left my car there pretty much lol, he painted it and installed it... than came back and it was on my car and evreything... well he told me to go back if i wasnt happy about it, i might go talk to him just to see what he says cause even he told me it didnt match and he can maybe do lighten it up ( the white is darker on the valance)
Sounds like he painted it off the car. Nothing wrong with that. Probably the best way to do it. However he didn't blend the panels that is butts up against. I am assuming because he only charged you $100. Most paint shops do even start their prices that low for blending. Usually around $400 to blend the panels. He also probably should of used a yellow primer.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't look THAT bad to me. I don't know that I would have picked it out if you hadn't said something about it.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Let us know how it comes out.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your painter probably didn't match it to the specific variance of your actual factory paint. Just because it says "such and such" for a paint code doesn't mean that you just throw that code in the gun and spray away. He should have sprayed out some test cards with different variances to more closely match your actual paint color. Some colors have 5 or 6 different variances, I found that out the hard way with both black and red.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Looks close enough to me, and I own a bodyshop.

If you were given the option to blend, and you declined, its your fault. I can't believe he will re-do it. I also cant believe you want it re-done.

Different plastics change the color of the paint. Metal and plastic does not come out the same, even when painted at the same time with the same paint.

Its not noticable, and chances are, if he re does it, you probably still wont be happy. If it isn't noticable until it gets pointed out, then you should be happy, being that you declined to blend the bumper.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

looks fine with me...you get what you pay for..can't complain to much if it only cost $100
Old 02-07-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

doesn't look bad at all....nice looking car.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always had great luck painting individual panels on vehicles by getting the painter to spray out some test cards with different variances of your particular paint code. I have always got the new paint to match almost 100% without blending just by picking the matching test card to the original paint under sunlight. I have always heard blending should be the last resort. Blending seems to be the lazy way to matching if you ask me. Now, if your vehicle's paint is in poor shape to begin with then you might have more problems with the match either way.

And by the way, black can be a bitch to match too.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vader99
I have always heard blending should be the last resort. Blending seems to be the lazy way to matching if you ask me.
:
No, blending is the CORRECT way to match the paint AFTER you have sprayed test cards and found the proper variant.

Paint shops are not using the same paint as the manufacturer, so it NEVER looks exactly the same. Small things make a difference, size of metallics, transparency of pearls, etc.

Butt matching is not the right way to do it, no matter how long you spend on tinting the color.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

subscribed...it might lighten up some once it cures more...right? otherwise i say let it be, i wouldnt have noticed if there wasnt a thread about it...
Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks ok to me.. your tips are crooked though

Quick Reply: got CME valance painted.. but doesnt look quite right