Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need you guys' opinions on estimate for Sunoco hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need you guys' opinions on estimate for Sunoco hood

Hey guys, I just got my new Sunoco hood delivered last week. I am going to have it painted Medium Red Metallic and have them do all of the tweaking and fitting of the hood. What should I expect to pay? I want it to be a perfect job and don't mind paying for it. I just want to know a ballpark so I don't end up paying far too much.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im in the same boat as you man, should be getting my 4" cowl hood within 2 weeks and wanna know how much for a paint job also?...
Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 PM

your not going to like the answer..... body shops charge a lot, and they can charge alot because insurance will pay for it. For a real body shop to do it, you looking at $1000 min to fit the hood and paint it bc/cc.. your best bet is to find someone local, who does painting on the side, or a body shop that does NOT do insureance claims.....
If the aftermarket hood is fiberglass expect to pay even more..

Also your car is 9yrs old, unless it has been painted in the last 2-3 years, the new paint will NOT match perfect, unless they repaint the whole car. Or machine buff the old paint, met red is a hard color to match perfect.

I hate to say it, and it hurts my hands just to type it, but If I was in your shoes, had no idea how to paint, I would fit the hood the best I could, and take the hood to maaco.. let them paint it. then take the whole car to a detail shop and have them machine buff the whole car.. it will be much much cheaper.
Just make sure maaco dont use single stage paint, You can not buff metallic single stages.

Last edited by innovative induction; 03-09-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1000 is ridiculous even for a body shop. I got quoted around 4-600 for mine and it was SOM. I ended up just painting the whole car with a friend of mine and spent about 800 total and it looks great. I am also getting my 4" T/A hood painted and that will set me back about 200 bucks.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Launching!

$200 maybe $300

and yes u can get a complete paint job for $800
if u know d guy
Old 03-09-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

I cannot imagine spending $1000 on a hood to get it painted. That's absurd. I would expect to pay around $500 or $600 to get it painted and fitted. And that's for A+ work...

I guess I'll just run out and get a few estimates and let you guys know what I find out.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

I paid $300 for a show quality paint job on my 4" cowl.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I paid $300 for a show quality paint job on my 4" cowl.
This is about what I expected. Plus another 200-300 for fittment... That I would consider reasonable.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 PM
8 Second Club

A shop did my suncoast hood for a 100 plus the cost for just the paint. He cleared and sealed it with some other parts. Ask the owner for that cash discount. I fit it so i would think 300 to 500 would be in the ball park you getting it all done .
Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 PM

A non insurance type body shop, will do it anywhere from $200-$600, but if you go to a large body shop that does mostly insurance claims. or a dealer.. then they will charge you insurance rates.. it sucks but its the way to goes. IMO, smaller body shops do better work.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by innovative induction
A non insurance type body shop, will do it anywhere from $200-$600, but if you go to a large body shop that does mostly insurance claims. or a dealer.. then they will charge you insurance rates.. it sucks but its the way to goes. IMO, smaller body shops do better work.
Cool, thanks man... We've got a few of those around here. I'll check them out.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Somewhere around $3-600 sounds about right... and you don't have to paint the whole car if you go to a good shop, that's ridiculous. Just need to blend the fenders.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got quoted for a hood and spoiler (from a friend), $500. that's just for prep and paint.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Hey guys, I just got my new Sunoco hood delivered last week. I am going to have it painted Medium Red Metallic and have them do all of the tweaking and fitting of the hood. What should I expect to pay? I want it to be a perfect job and don't mind paying for it. I just want to know a ballpark so I don't end up paying far too much.

Thanks guys.
I will not speak for these guys but I have just had my WS.9 hood done this past december.

They needed to fit the hood and re align the fenders, nose, and hood so there was labor there and they sprayed the hood, nose, fenders, and head light covers due to rock chip and a flex crack.

I paid 1600.00 total and it fits just as good, if not better then OEM, paint matched perfectly. This is a truely FLAWLESS JOB.

So expect to pay more then 300.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=551

Old 03-12-2009, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

^sounds like you had more work involved than just painting the hood and blending. Paint cracks and rock chips require quite a bit more work to repair. The quotes we are giving are based on a basic spray and install.

$500 sounds about right.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by TXMaro
^sounds like you had more work involved than just painting the hood and blending. Paint cracks and rock chips require quite a bit more work to repair. The quotes we are giving are based on a basic spray and install.

$500 sounds about right.
Agreed, I am certain this is on the high end.

But be aware, every fiberglass hood I have had done, needs fitment work and this is something that can be VERY labor intensive, even OEM ws.6 hoods are not perfect (but close). As for the chips there were not many, 2 to 4 on each of the headlight cover and the nose def needed to be stripped and redone. The fenders just made sense since so much was getting done.

As the OP stated he wante perfect and with any metallic paint, there needs to be extra work involved.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:02 PM

ALL aftermarket body panels need lots of work before they can be painted, Even a brand new hood is going to have places in it that need repair. Fiberglass body panels are the worse, it will have pits in the fiberglass just the same as a used hood that has rocks hit it. To align a new hood, the whole front clip will need to be lined up, both fenders, and ft bumper. and in most cases, when you re-align the fenders, the doors will need it as well.
proper fitment of an aftermarket body panel is alot more work then. un-bolting the old and bolting on the new.

Even the best of the best aftermarket hoods will not have the same shape as the factory. If you took a hood form a 2009 corvette and put it on another 2009 corvette it will NOT line up.

Now with that said, with the way things are now, A non insurance body shop is in need of the business, he can find someone to do it under $800 , no it wont not be as nice as the $1600 job posted above, but it will look ok. unless you know paint work, no one would ever notice.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

I think that's a little extreme... I've never had to line up doors because I changed a hood... At the most fenders may have to be adjusted a little. There's not really much adjustment on the front bumper.

My shop's work consists of 98+% insurance jobs and I guarantee you I can do it for a lot less than $1600. Although $1600 is probably reasonable for the amount of work that was done in the example above.

And yes aftermarket fiberglass hoods usually do need more work before they are perfect.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXMaro
I think that's a little extreme... I've never had to line up doors because I changed a hood... At the most fenders may have to be adjusted a little. There's not really much adjustment on the front bumper.

My shop's work consists of 98+% insurance jobs and I guarantee you I can do it for a lot less than $1600. Although $1600 is probably reasonable for the amount of work that was done in the example above.

And yes aftermarket fiberglass hoods usually do need more work before they are perfect.
this is all good info. I'm buying a Sunoco hood also. I'll probably have the bumper sprayed also, as it has some rock chips. thanks!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Cool. Thanks guys. We'll see what it involves. I'll be getting an estimate soon. Thing is on this car is that all of the panels are already perfect. No chips/scratches/nothing... The car only has 17k miles on it and has been garaged with a cover over it 99% of the time so I don't know that it will require extensive blending. It should be "pretty" straightforward...

Quick Reply: Need you guys' opinions on estimate for Sunoco hood