Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to paint

Hi guys.

I have a painting project I'm going to embark upon in about 6 months or so. When I had my car worked on, the shop owner gave me what was left of the paint he used, which is this: http://www.expresspaint.com/productc...ory=21#details I had always been told that this kind of paint job had mutliple layers of different colors.

Does anybody know if this is the case, or if it's just one single paint like any regular job?

Can anybody point me to where I can find the process of applying a paint job such as this and how the paint should be handled? - (does it need to be thinned, etc...) How does car paint compare with model paint? Will I be able to use the car paint in a Badger airbrush?

Am I worried about nothing, or are there special details I need to be careful of?

TIA.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the site FAQ, the color you are using is not a tri-coat, and it is already mixed for spraying. Although it varies by manufacturer, you should be able to call/email and ask for a tech sheet that specifies reducing ratio, flash times, etc.

I can't comment on model paint (I've never painted a model nor used model paint), but you should be able to use it in an airbrush, provided the tip size isn't too small or something.

I wouldn't say that you are "worried about nothing," the success of a paint job is heavily dependent on your prep work. If you have never sprayed paint before, find a test panel to shoot first. Also, if you can, find someone who has painted before (successfully) and see if they can watch and provide feedback. I only speak for myself, but having someone else critiquing my work and technique helped me quite a bit.

Beyond all that, keep your spray area as clean as possible, and read the tech sheets! You can pick up tips online or from other people to get an idea of what to do, but experience will be most useful. If you have to, don't be afraid to sand everything down and start over.

Quick Reply: How to paint