Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Colorsanding Basecoat...Help Please...PICS

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Colorsanding Basecoat...Help Please...PICS

About a month ago, my friend and I attempted to paint the new cowl induction hood. Ended up being really humid that day and the paint had major orange peel on it basically looking like a matte finish. So we just stopped at the basecoat, I let it cure in the sun outside for about a month so the paint would harden so I could sand it.

Basically neither one of us has any idea on colorsanding new paint, so if we missed something or Im doing something wrong...PLEASE LMK!!

Started sanding the hood with 800 grit to get the major orange peel out. This was the most time consuming. But was able to get a relatively smooth surface to continue wetsanding. Next I moved up to 1000 grit, that basically took any remaining orange peel "pits" out of the paint...

Next I hit the hood with 1500 which when talking to a friend told me I should stop at this point and spray the clear, but it has a very dull finish and alot of sanding swirls. I dont know if I can clean all this up with some compound and a buffer or if I should move up to 2000 grit. Basically on hold right now till I figure this one out. Here is a picture of the hood after wetsanding with 1500 grit...

Old 07-26-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those fine scratches left by the 1500 grit is fine to paint clear over. You did the right thing, getting the paint flat! Fine scratches are needed to give a "tooth" or mechanical bond for the clear to grab on to. Usually a scotch-brite pad is used to scuff paint in the same manner. After the clear you can go up to 2000 grit or finer if you can find it and buff it up to a show quality finish!

As a side note it is usually better to sand in circles and not long lines.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paint is still really hazy and doesnt have much as far as a shine to it, plus the paint still has sanding scratches which i think if you paint over with clear, will show up. Should I sand once more and go in circles or should I try buffing it before I clear to bring back some shine? Thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't buff it! That hazy look and the fine scratches from the 1500 grit is fine and will not show up in the clear. If you did long sanding lines I would suggest going over it with a green scotchbrite pad in circles. If your worried about how the clear will look, just put some water on the paint, clear will do the same. Also make sure you give it another wipe down before the clear to remove any contaminents.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Teching In

DriftR is correct. Worst case senario is u can use a da and 320 or 400 the whole hood careful not to get into the fiberglass. However u would have to reapply the base before you cleared it.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

what the hell kind of paint are you spraying that needs to cure for a month?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2002nbmssdd
DriftR is correct. Worst case senario is u can use a da and 320 or 400 the whole hood careful not to get into the fiberglass. However u would have to reapply the base before you cleared it.
exactly what i would do,DA it down with 400 and re shoot your base.

Quick Reply: Colorsanding Basecoat...Help Please...PICS