Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

F'd in the A by the paint gods

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F'd in the A by the paint gods

Any experience with this? I went out to the garage to take my 12k mile T/A to stretch its legs. I pull off the car cover, unhook the Battery Tender, and remove the microfiber towel I leave under the BT cord to keep the paint from getting scratched. The microfiber towel was in no way stuck to the car, yet it left what looked like an imprint of the texture of the towel on my car. It almost looks like the clear was wet when the towel was laid on there. You cannot feel any texture to the paint, and I've tried clay and buffing it out by hand with limited improvement. Fingers are crossed that the PC will buff it out.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what happened or best way to fix? This is the same way I've stored my car for years. Sorry, no pics...stuck at work.
Thanks for any imput.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

stain?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Teching In

did u use a high speed buffer or an orbital buffer to try and get the stain off? Try a high speed buffer with some 3m rubbing compound part #06060 but be warned that a high speed buffer WILL and I repeat WILL burn through the factory paint if u aren't experienced with using one.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I havn't tried anything with power yet...just tried by hand, thinking it wouldn't take much to get whatever it was off--no such luck though. I using the Porter Cable when I get a chance. Anyone have any ideas what might have caused this?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why it "stained" the paint but the PC should take care of it. I have noticed that before but it has always just come off with some detail spray.