Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Can this rust be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Can this rust be fixed?

This is on the driver side rear quarter. Rust is on the outer metal skin AND the inner fender well.

Every shop that has looked at said they can fix but stop short of saying that the rust around the Bond will not return. One shop says they can pack seam filler on the back side of the inner fender to stop it but I am concerned that I will spend hundreds of dollars and have it rust again.

It appears that there are no OEM or aftermarket body panels available, at least not yet. Th gens are too old by production but too new for classic. Figures.

Anyone have any advice for me in getting this near permanently fixed?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

must cut all rust completly out.either patch area with steel or replacement quater pnl.also looks like it might of gotten into the outer wheel house.you will know once you start cutting.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

That doesn't look too bad. You'd have to sand the bubbled up part and see if the rust goes straight through or not. If not it's possible so sand it clean and bondo it good then blend the paint back. If it does go through than you'll have to cut it out and patch in new sheet metal than bondo and paint.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

you could go that route.it is a band aid fix .if you are going to keep car i would cut/replace.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

is the rust spungy or surface under paint if it is surface under paint sotchbrite pad on grinder till gone get some POR 15 brush on let cure sand feather paint rust will never yes i said never come back in that spot thats what we use on hot rods from the 30s after blasting. if it is rusted bad tom a point it easily goes through metal with firm poke then it needs to be cut out and new meatal welded in
Old 08-17-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not soft at all and yes there is rust on the outer wheel house too. Again you can see the rust where the two pieces sandwhich together. In fact the two pieces are spreading apart some. You can see this if you stick your head up in the wheel well.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, first off - you need to know what type of corrosion it is (there are actually around 10 types). It looks like Exfoliation corrosion to me, which is an advanced form of inter-granular corrosion where the surface grains of metal are lifted up by the force of expanding corrosion products occurring at the grain boundaries. The lifting up or swelling is visible evidence of exfoliation corrosion. It occurs on extruded, rolled, wrought, and forged high strength aluminum and magnesium parts.

Since there is rust on both sides, you will probably have to cut the piece out, fabricate a patch, and paint it (or just replace the whole panel when they become availiable).
Old 08-18-2009, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

perfectly stated.rust must come out.

Quick Reply: Can this rust be fixed?