Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Shaved rear formula fascia

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

looking good man. what did you end up using to fill it (brand and all)? so i know when i redo mine
Old 11-17-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a urethane epoxy.

I may try to do this as well. ****, I can't remember the last time I even opened my rear hatch of my car. So, why the hell not?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
looking good man. what did you end up using to fill it (brand and all)? so i know when i redo mine
Yea its made by Norton. Called Speedgrip structural adhesive. Claims to work with all plastics, SMC panels, metal, fiberglass, or wood. **** get hard as hell in about 15 minutes, so you dont have a whole lot of working time.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

You car looks bad ***. I wanna see more pics.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

x2 more pics.........Your plate should say

Sniper
Funeral
BatMobl
Kilin it

LOL
Old 11-19-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

More pictures as requested.
Attached Thumbnails Shaved rear formula fascia-burnout.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-wheels-up.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-005-1-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-avatar.jpg  
Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Update!!!

Finally got the rearend finished. Turned out really nice. Still needs a little more buffing. The pictures DO NOT do the finish justice. More pictures coming soon.
Attached Thumbnails Shaved rear formula fascia-009-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-010-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-011-1.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Looks mean. Get her cleaned up and take some quality outside shots!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got the same thing going.

By the way, where the hell do you have your jack stands? Doesn't even look close to your rear end.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got them sitting on the drag bar right know. It does look kinda weird in the pictures. Filling the keyhole was easy as hell, but the pontiac, and shaving the whole grove around the license plate was a bitch. Took me a few minutes to get it looking right. Next on my list is the front fascia. Not sure yet what im gonna do to it. Any suggestions, or pictures?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
Got them sitting on the drag bar right know. It does look kinda weird in the pictures. Filling the keyhole was easy as hell, but the pontiac, and shaving the whole grove around the license plate was a bitch. Took me a few minutes to get it looking right. Next on my list is the front fascia. Not sure yet what im gonna do to it. Any suggestions, or pictures?
I've thought about shaving the rear bumper, but I think I'll take that to a shop to get painted. I comfortable painted that small section for key hole delete. But, not a whole bumper. I might try doing all the prep work, then bringing it in to get it painted.

The next project I'm going to do is smooth out the front license plate cover. I plan on just finding another cover, then cutting out the area that has the bird on it, then fiberglassing over it. I've never worked with fiberglass, so it will be a fun project.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
I've thought about shaving the rear bumper, but I think I'll take that to a shop to get painted. I comfortable painted that small section for key hole delete. But, not a whole bumper. I might try doing all the prep work, then bringing it in to get it painted.

The next project I'm going to do is smooth out the front license plate cover. I plan on just finding another cover, then cutting out the area that has the bird on it, then fiberglassing over it. I've never worked with fiberglass, so it will be a fun project.
Yea, I am definately getting rid of the bird ont he front plate cover. But still not sure on keeping the cover, or just shaving the whole thing. Would make a nice place to cut out, and just have that be my ram air, but Illinois rules you need a front plate.....So a big hole in the front might be asking for it. Nothing in stone yet.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I am definately getting rid of the bird ont he front plate cover. But still not sure on keeping the cover, or just shaving the whole thing. Would make a nice place to cut out, and just have that be my ram air, but Illinois rules you need a front plate.....So a big hole in the front might be asking for it. Nothing in stone yet.
I'm in the same boat as you. MN requires a front plate as well. I've been running my current car, and a previous Z28 now for almost 10 years, and I've been pulled over twice for it. The only other time was when a cop pulled me over for drag racing, then he hit me with everthing in the book. But, knock on wood, I haven't been bothered yet in my formula.

I've found a few places on ebay that are selling fiberglass covers. I'm wondering if they're solid, so you could sand down the bird emblem or not. That would be a very easy method, and he's selling them for $40.

What did you use to fill in the "PONTIAC" on the rear bumper?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in the same boat as you. MN requires a front plate as well. I've been running my current car, and a previous Z28 now for almost 10 years, and I've been pulled over twice for it. The only other time was when a cop pulled me over for drag racing, then he hit me with everthing in the book. But, knock on wood, I haven't been bothered yet in my formula.

I've found a few places on ebay that are selling fiberglass covers. I'm wondering if they're solid, so you could sand down the bird emblem or not. That would be a very easy method, and he's selling them for $40.

What did you use to fill in the "PONTIAC" on the rear bumper?

Its made by Evercoat, called "vette panel adhesive filler" Its just a filler made for smc, and fiberglass panels. Worked really good.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its made by Evercoat, called "vette panel adhesive filler" Its just a filler made for smc, and fiberglass panels. Worked really good.
Ah, cool. I just looked and it says it's for fiberglass only, and non-SMC.

I'll have to do some digging around, and see what I can find around here. I want to tackle the front plate first. To me, that's more noticeable then the rear Pontiac on the bumper.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah, cool. I just looked and it says it's for fiberglass only, and non-SMC.

I'll have to do some digging around, and see what I can find around here. I want to tackle the front plate first. To me, that's more noticeable then the rear Pontiac on the bumper.
True. Let me know how it turns out. I would like to see one before i get ***** deep in it.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you still have the side skirts on? If so can we get a pick to see how the sides flow with the rear bumper?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

i never thought of it... but, it does look clean as hell... the key hole doesnt really bother me.. and on the bullet front end i just shaved the little bird off and have no front plate and the bolt holes are all smoothed out..
Old 12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
and on the bullet front end i just shaved the little bird off and have no front plate and the bolt holes are all smoothed out..
Umm, ok.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

PICTURES!! NOW!!!! i'm still waiting to see some good pics of the final product

Quick Reply: Shaved rear formula fascia