Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Shaved rear formula fascia

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shaved rear formula fascia

After looking at my car for hours and contemplating on what to change cosmetically I choose the rear bumper first. I hated the way it looks without a cat-back. Since there will never be a cat-back on my car again, i choose a formula bumper, seeing how it makes the rear look a little higher and cleaner. I chose shaved off the "FIREBIRD" in the fascia as well as the groove around the license plate.

Here are a few pictures. Before primer, after, before paint, after clear. I am also shaving the keyhole in the middle tailight devider. Will get pictures up after I wetsand and buff, and put it on the car.
Attached Thumbnails Shaved rear formula fascia-001-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-008-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-phone-pictures-090-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-phone-pictures-095-1.jpg  
Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

wow,i never would've though about switching to the firebird bumper. thats a really good idea for people wanting to go with dumps, and trying to find something to do about the bumper. and i like how it looks all shaved. much cleaner. i shaved the keyhole on my T/A too, trust me, you'll love the way it looks.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just out of curiousity.......what did you use to shave it? Did you do the work yourself? I used a epoxy for plastics/urathane material. its all i could think off, didnt want to use any fillers because it would most likely crack with it being nearly the size of a quarter.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Veteran

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-key-hole.html

i did the work myself. but i didnt know ANYTHING about body work or filling things so i used some bondo i had at the house. but from that thread i learned that i should have used something else. its only been a month since i did it, and so far no problems, but i think for the long run, i'll probably be pulling it off and redoing it pretty soon. plus im thinking about getting a different decal for it, and changing the trans am to a custom "KR1MSON" decal in the same size/font. when i redo it i'll probably use something like what you said, but i still need to familiarize myself with the different products to make sure im using the best possible filler.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Id like to see pics of the bumper mounted.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres mine shaved, youll love it when its on the car.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just dont know about the way everything will flow with the skirts..hope it looks good for you
Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Im kinda curious about this.. if You shaved the key hole and the power motor that unlocks the hatch burns out.. how do you get your hatch open? reason I ask is because I had thought about doing this and 2 weeks ago my motor went kaput.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

to the OP, show us some on the car pix! i'm real interested.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Creed420
Im kinda curious about this.. if You shaved the key hole and the power motor that unlocks the hatch burns out.. how do you get your hatch open? reason I ask is because I had thought about doing this and 2 weeks ago my motor went kaput.
all you would have to do is go through the car to the back, pull back the carpet to get to the tail light screws, and unscrew them. then you can pull the lights off and get to the keyhole still and unlock it with no probelm. i doubt i'll be dealing with that anytime soon, but if i do, this is what i'll do.

do it, you'll love it. it may not be something everyone notices in itself, but it gives an overall cleaner look.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 11-16-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^sounds like to much of a pain if it ever does go out.

to the OP, looks like its going to look good. will be waiting for install pictures.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1Tuner_06
^^sounds like to much of a pain if it ever does go out.
too much of a pain? that would take les sthan 5 minutes and no effort at all. and um, i've never had any problems with the motor, and i haven't heard of ANYONE else having that problem until Creed420 just mentioned his going out. worrying about something as rare as that, is like not wanting power windows because of the rare chance that you may happen to run your car into a lake, and need to roll down the windows to get out....yeah, sounds pretty rediculous to really consider things like. its a simple appearance mod, and will look great. and IF you ever have any problems, it takes a couple minutes to get the trunk opened, no big deal.

and that method should be a one time thing, because if my motor goes out i'll get it fixed.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

That bumper looks fat
Old 11-17-2009, 02:29 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never heard of anyone's hatch popper going bad either. It is really easy to unscrew the tail lights.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Launching!

yeah it prolly take a few mins to climb through the back, but what if you got stereo equipment back there? There are pros and there are cons on that mod.. to many cons to out way the pros thats why Im reluctant on doing it.

Now if the whole panel that you shaved was on a sorta spring hinge deal that could flip up and down... kinda like the old school tags that hid the fuel tank tube... maybe even super strong velcro? its on the back of the vehicle so it wouldnt blow off, plus no one would even think that it would be made to come off the car with a hard tug. I think Im givin myself some ideas here!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Creed420
yeah it prolly take a few mins to climb through the back, but what if you got stereo equipment back there? There are pros and there are cons on that mod.. to many cons to out way the pros thats why Im reluctant on doing it.
the only way stereo equipment would get in the way is if your set up is so bulky it forms a wall at your rear windshield, and if thats the case, you probably shouldnt have that. any normal set ups i've seen will not in any way block you from getting to the back to pull back the carpet. if you dont want to do it, dont. but some of the reasons you guys are worrying about are pretty off the wall, and are very unlikely to affect anything. are you trying to convince yourself not to do it?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Not really, Im just thinking of future possibilites. Like mounting amps on the area where you pull the carpet and possibly the area where you stick your TTops, havin a box built for that area. Right now I got a Decent sized box on the area above the gas tank so climbing over it would bit a pain. Came out of a Timburon and I wanted to put it to good use. Nothin wrong with havin a good soundin stereo bro. Something wrong when you cant get in your trunk tho.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

there isnt anything wrong with having a stereo system, but you are dwelling on the thought that your power opener is going to go out. and i'm saying that that is something you should not really be worried about.

just dont do it.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Update!!!

Did some work this weekend. Not quite done, been really busy.

The first pictures of the taillights are before i touched them, they were sprayed with the well known VHT nightshade. Finish wasn't horrible, but wasn't up to my standards by a long shot. I sanded them down, re-cleared them, wet sanded, and buffed the lights.

the last pictures are the finished product.....you decide.
Attached Thumbnails Shaved rear formula fascia-zam-paint-005-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-zam-paint-006-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-zam-paint-007-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-zam-paint-017-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-zam-paint-019-1.jpg  

Old 11-17-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are a few pictures of the center section where i filled the key hole. It turned out nice, no pictures of it wet sanded, and buffed yet.

The bumper still needs to be sanded with 2500 and buffed. Should be able to squeeze it in this week after work one day.
Attached Thumbnails Shaved rear formula fascia-zam-paint-001-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-zam-paint-012-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-zam-paint-013-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-zam-paint-014-1.jpg   Shaved rear formula fascia-zam-paint-020-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Shaved rear formula fascia