Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Questions about rock chips and insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about rock chips and insurance.

Just noticed yesterday that my windshield had a bunch of tiny rock chips in it on the way home. When I got home I checked out the paint and found that both front fenders, hood, side mirrors, bumper had a lot of large to small chips in them as well. Didn't have a lot of time to really look at it good though. Called insurance and they said to get an estimate. So I go to the body shop they recommended today and to repaint those parts and replace the windshield would be $1992.92.

So I left and stopped shortly after to get gas and noticed the tops of both quarters have chips too (he didn't check them) as well as the doors. Went back and got him to do another estimate (going to fax because they were getting ready to leave). He told me the insurance company would question the door and quarters because rock damage from following another vehicle only affects the front of my vehicle which makes sense.

Now I know that I am nitpicking now and probably noticing things I haven't noticed before. But I looked at the chips alittle better after I left and they do look like they show directionallity from front to rear.

What should I do and what should I expect? I have never had a claim and I'm lost. Sorry for the long post but any help would be greately appreciated. Car has 74,000 miles on it.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Got the other estimate today for $3000. Anybody?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't say your nitpicking. It's YOUR car, not anyone else's. I have a few rock chips here and there & some scratches, but it doesn't bother me too much, I come to expect it. If they quoted you $3000 for it all, I would hand that over to the insurance. I don't know too much more. I've never filed a claim either, so maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldnt waste a claim on that, its just going to make your insurance go up especially if you have to file another claim after. wait until the car gets into an accident or gets scraped up worse.

my hood and front bumper are like to too, just comes with owning a car thats low to the ground.

how much is the windshield ? ct law prevents insurance companies from penalizing you for replacing windshields but the rock chips will be another story. id look into it.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Your insurance company dictates if it goes up or down in rates...some companie's don't penalize for the first claim or two within so long of each other...I think Allstate has forgiveness like this...not for sure...

Secondly you can get rock chips anywere on your car...but they will most likely be on the front...if you are driving next to a car and it shoots a stone up it could hit the side of your car...ect......not likely for the rear but I suppose if someone drove by it while it was parked and threw one up...
Old 12-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Launching!

I understand that rock chips come with owning any car but with the amount I got from this single incident was pretty bad. I did just notice that I didn't mention that in my original post. This isn't a collection of chips over time, this is from one single incident.

I'll try to post up some picks soon. Some of the damage is worse than a chip.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is it kinda like the car got sand blasted?

ive seen this quite a few times when someone was following a dump truck hauling sand without a tarp and they were right up on its ***. thousands of little pits in the paint?

that makes more sense now, i can see that being an insurance claim then
Old 12-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by subarubill96
is it kinda like the car got sand blasted?

ive seen this quite a few times when someone was following a dump truck hauling sand without a tarp and they were right up on its ***. thousands of little pits in the paint?

that makes more sense now, i can see that being an insurance claim then

It is sort of like it was blasted but some of the chips seem large for that. I normally keep a good distance from road tractors and dump trucks. The only thing I can remember was last monday, after a weekend snow, there was one truck pulling a flat bed that didn't clean off the ice/snow. We met right where two interstates merge and I could avoid it, whole road was covered.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Well good news is they are sending me a check to repaint the car.

Bad news is it started snowing on my way home from work. About a quarter of a mile from my house I couldn't make it any further so I left the car on the side of the road. Fairly low traffic with a limit of 35. Two hours later with about 3 inches of snow on the road someone slid off the road and hit my car. Got their car off mine and only thing I can tell is the right rear quarter is dented but I can't really see much. Can't get a tow for my car because all tow trucks are either stuck too or busy.

I'm hoping since my car was technically parked her insurance will pay and mine won't need to be involved. No tickets were issued.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am no insurance guru but dealt with it a few times..

Chances are your insurance won't go up for either one of those..

With the rock chips.. If they quoted 2k for all that and the insurance gives you a check for 1750 (cut your deductible in half I'm assuming since you were not at fault in any way).. Then all you have to do is say I want "XXXX" and "XXXX" painted while you are at it and you will just have to pay the difference out of pocket.

Dent will be covered by insurance as long as you were safely parked on the side of the road and correctly.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12
I am no insurance guru but dealt with it a few times..

Chances are your insurance won't go up for either one of those..

With the rock chips.. If they quoted 2k for all that and the insurance gives you a check for 1750 (cut your deductible in half I'm assuming since you were not at fault in any way).. Then all you have to do is say I want "XXXX" and "XXXX" painted while you are at it and you will just have to pay the difference out of pocket.

Dent will be covered by insurance as long as you were safely parked on the side of the road and correctly.

I was well off of the road; just facing in the wrong direction.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS199CAMAROZ28
I was well off of the road; just facing in the wrong direction.
Don't know the laws in your state about it.. If they want to fight it chances are you were doing SOMETHING wrong.. Just depends on how stubborn they want to be.. Chances are nothing will come of it and her insurance will pick it up, just giving you a heads up.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Questions about rock chips and insurance.