Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Attempting my own paint job

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something else that just hit me...If your doing a Flat or Semi Gloss Black..I would rethink that if doing it in a garage or your first time painting..

In a garage its almost impossible not to get dirt..I get very very little in mine and I clean the it for days before I spray..but I always plan on wet sanding it to make it really slick..but anyway

If you have to sand dirt or a sag/run or dry spot out..when you buff it..it will be shinny..Not flat..Its really hard to pull it off and make it look correct..just somethin to think about...
Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can sling wrenches..but paint and body is an ART from what i understand..always wanted to learn it but really never had the time...wish you luck!! and pics a must!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the spots with cancer i would sand with 80 grt, then primer surfacer over that. Sand the primer surfacer with 400 grt and the rest of the car with red scotch brite. If the car is already black i would just throw the satin black right over it.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

I helped my buddy who painted my car in his own paint booth on his property. He has a full time job in sales, but he did paint and body in the past. It took us around 6 weeks to finish my car. I didn't go near a paint gun because I didn't want to make an expensive mistake. I helped with the wet sanding, scuffing, taping, and many other small prep jobs. Good Luck with doing it yourself, especially since black is considered to be one of the hardest paint jobs to do because black practically makes any flaws and imperfections stand out.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

No offense to anyone that may take it, but be very careful sanding smc and plastic parts or you will end up with little dips all over the place. Like stated above flat colors can't be sanded and buffed or it will shine, so practice on anything you can first. Body and paint work is a type of art and not just anyone is cut out for it. If you want to learn how take some classes and talk to people that can help you first, you can't learn this by reading how to books, it's a hands on learning and that's the only way to know what your doing.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
If you want to learn how take some classes
Already been accepted for the autobody program at a school in Vancouver I start in September
Old 02-14-2010, 01:45 AM
12 Second Club

Congrats on getting in, you'll be suprised on how much you can learn from a few basic classes that can make it much easier
Old 02-14-2010, 02:28 AM
On The Tree

in my opinion, most of the above posts are pretty well on. be careful when sanding smc, and wetting the floor of your paint area is a great idea. I like to make sure and sand as much of a flat panel as i can with a block, as opposed to just sanding by hand. Make sure you sand every nook and cranny...don't have the mentality of "ah it's fine if i missed a small spot or two". Painting anything you can with the color you want to paint your car with is a great idea. There are so many little things that can go wrong when spraying, so having someone who knows what they are doing to guide you will be vital to a successful paint job.

Omni and Nason are both good brands of paint. Both are reputable. They are not junky, and will not peel off quicker than DuPont or PPG. If you're on a budget, go for the Omni or Nason. They are much, MUCH cheaper, and the only downside is that they do not color match perfectly to factory paint. They are meant to spray a whole car, or project with...not to do touch up/fading/color matching. I sprayed a black bumper with it once, and there was no difference in color. It also cost me about 1/3 of the price. in my opinion, omni/nason is the way to go unless color matching. I wish you luck on your first paint job!! be super patient, don't rush anything

Quick Reply: Attempting my own paint job