Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Does this need wet-sand/polish or repaint??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it kinda looks like someone pushed the snow/ice across it. my parents have those marks on the cap of their truck from cleaning it off last season.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do alot of buffing its hard to tell for sure by the pics the last one looks like a bad paint job if that's the case repaint for sure other wise you could try to buff it out but those scratches looked pretty deep they dont put very much clear on cars today most likely you will burn through the clear trying to get them all the way out if your on a budget and can't paint right away take your time buffing and try not to work them all the way out and just get them to look better for now till you can repaint. repaint if you want it perfect.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Like others have said it will need re painted!! yes you can polish the rub marks off the top of the clear it will be shiney!! but it appears there are sanding scratches below probably from a prepper using too course of paper or red scotch bright and the painter not sealing it or too light of a coat with the sealer! Also the color match is horrible yes plastic and fiberglass is harder to match but it can get alot closer than that!! This is only my professional advice take it for what it is hahaha good luck either way!!

Ryan
Old 02-03-2010, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^ nope... wetsanding and a three stage polish job will probably do the job.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I seriously thought I was looking at some nice brushed wood like on a desk. It looks like a paint job gone wrong. I wouldn't trust it, sand as much of it off as you can before you paint it, if that's what you choose to do.

same here...looks exactly like wood lol...wet sand then polish but it looks like paint is gone wrong..
Old 02-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
^^ nope... wetsanding and a three stage polish job will probably do the job.
Ya do what this guy says go buy some really expensive sanding/polishing materials spend a lot of time trying to make it shine again then look at your color match and the scratches under the paint then go waste more money on paint and supplies!!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Does look alot like wood, but you can sand and polish all you want, all it's gonna do is make it smooth and shiny, you'll still see the scratches. You can make the top as smooth as you want but if the base is laying in scratches it will look the same. Depending on what's causeing it a good sand and respray will work if it's just from heavy grit scrathes curreing out. That's what it looks like to me because you can seen the metallic standing up in the scratches. Do as you please but a sand and buff is just going to waste your time.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
Does look alot like wood, but you can sand and polish all you want, all it's gonna do is make it smooth and shiny, you'll still see the scratches. You can make the top as smooth as you want but if the base is laying in scratches it will look the same. Depending on what's causeing it a good sand and respray will work if it's just from heavy grit scrathes curreing out. That's what it looks like to me because you can seen the metallic standing up in the scratches. Do as you please but a sand and buff is just going to waste your time.
thank you! just get it repainted. ive seen this happen before on plastic parts. it's from not using a high enough grit sand paper when the spoiler went through the preparation process. it looks like they used 240 grit by hand and sprayed it without using sealer.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
If you weren't so far away, I would actually like to try and tackle this thing to try and prove people wrong. But who knows....may need repaint, but you'll never know until you try to cut and buff it first.

this guy things he knows it all an **** !!!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

to me it looks like it was repainted.
look like the clear was brushed on lol.
im going to go with every one else on this one try the wet sand if not repaint.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92-T5
this guy things he knows it all an **** !!!
No, just unlike other people....I like my plan A to be easier than the plan B.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

based on your pictures its pretty obvious that the base coat was sanded with a scotch pad (most likely red) causing abrasions in the metallic finish. While you are able to sand opaque colors and clear right on top of a sanded base, metallic colors are unable to achieve the same results.
If it were in the clear coat, the finish would look foggy and it would be hard to see the color. In this instance you can make out the color just fine but its apparent the paint is thoroughly scratched.
prepping the car with sand paper that is too aggressive can cause sand scratches to show up down the road but they would hardly be this noticeable in the actual color itself. Instead the color for the most part would hold its metallic properties fine but rather little peaks and valleys where it was filling in those sand scratches.
I think the dead give away in the pictures is the "wood" look. This is achieved only during the base coat process by scratching the color and altering its appearance. This can not be done once cleared. If any one has seen paint made to look like brushed aluminium its the same process only using silver base coat.
Without seeing the car in person you are always safer to venture into polishing first before you fork over real money to remedy what is most likely a repaint issue.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I think I'm gonna tackle this tomorrow, I picked up a punch of sandpaper and polishing compound.. We'll see what happens. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I think I'm gonna tackle this tomorrow, I picked up a punch of sandpaper and polishing compound.. We'll see what happens. Thanks for everyone's input!
It's worth a try and shouldn't cost you much, although I'd bet it will burn back up pretty quickly.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Did it work? What rims did you decide on?

Quick Reply: Does this need wet-sand/polish or repaint??