Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Bubbles on the roof behind T-Tops

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bubbles on the roof behind T-Tops

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I have been looking around for a T/A (CETA PREFERRED) and have found a T/A but the roof of it has bubbles. (what i think looks like cancer spots) Does anyone know or heard of these being a problem or even know what it is or what causes it. The car is located out West and it tends to get 110+ degrees during the summer time but its a dry heat compared to the humidty we have here in Texas. Thanks in advance. Sorry if this has been brought up before...
Old 02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

here ya go. click on the link and you'll find out all about it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...ll-thread.html
Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by A-Bomb
here ya go. click on the link and you'll find out all about it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...ll-thread.html
thanks bro!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Based on the age of our cars now, there is a slim chance that GM will fix it for free. For the most part, if you want it fixed, you're gonna have to pay. 2005 GM was fixing for free, 2010 doubtfull.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skunkt-u
thanks bro!

you're welcome!

i had the same problem with my 99 Z. bubbles all over the top and they would ooze if the car sat directly under the sun. mine wasn't that noticeable because it was always in the garage. i never got around to fixin it and then the car got totaled. i did manage to get a price to repair from the delearship and it was $800.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I went down to two different dealerships a couple weeks ago being nice guy asking them to do it since it's a known recall, then they said no, turned into the *******, still no luck. They basically said F you, it's too late at both dealerships.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Launching!

its pretty much the same story here a few months ago. i was just curious since i had heard about a recall reguarding it and mine has gotten all bubbley and gross and so i went to a few dealerships and they basiclly told me too bad you fail
Old 02-19-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by A-Bomb
...bubbles all over the top and they would ooze if the car sat directly under the sun.
Originally Posted by caseypryan
Yeah I went down to two different dealerships a couple weeks ago being nice guy asking them to do it since it's a known recall, then they said no, turned into the *******, still no luck. They basically said F you, it's too late at both dealerships.
Originally Posted by Canbarelygo
its pretty much the same story here a few months ago. i was just curious since i had heard about a recall reguarding it and mine has gotten all bubbley and gross and so i went to a few dealerships and they basiclly told me too bad you fail
Geez, I wonder why GM virtually went bankrupt and needed a bail-out.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

They should stand by their mess ups.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Well I passed on the 2 CARS that I have found. Still in the search. As I was talking to my dad earlier today both his cars have the notorious cancer like condition. (In my dads words). He had taken both his cars into the dealership years ago and was told there was nothing they could do about it. I wished I had known about this sooner. Question: is there a place that sells these sail panels still, or is it pretty much obsolete. Im new to the LS1 world having been a Ford fan for the past 12yrs. Sold my 03 Cobra and now looking to get into T/A. I have read up on some of it, but im hoping for some quick answers. Thanks for those who have responded so far. I really do appreciate it.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go to gmpartsdirect just bout one for $550 ship to me on sale
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i will never pay $550 to fix GM's mistake. i'm trying to track down a car being parted out to attempt to remove it from. it's been done, just have to learn the technique.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Damn $550.??? is it painted?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
i will never pay $550 to fix GM's mistake. i'm trying to track down a car being parted out to attempt to remove it from. it's been done, just have to learn the technique.
I agree with you. I think I will hit a few wrecking yards and attempt to remove it myself. Not that I own a LS1 yet, but I would pick 2 up for my mom and dads cars. I think its weird how both there cars have the same problem. Is it heat related (the bubbling)
Old 02-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Teching In

800 sounds about right to fix it. Do any of you actually know this is fixed?. A friend of mine and i did 1. And that will be the only time i ever do one. Taking it off without damaging it is the pita. Worth it to buy a new one imo.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

what'd you use to get it off? heat gun/torch and windshield remover tool?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Teching In

I work in the body shop at a dealer, and we had a camaro traded in that had the "cancer". GM wouldn't replace the roof cause the recall has expired. What causes this is the glue that the factory uses basically bleeds through the fiberglass roof skin. This is where the bubbles come from. General manager didn't want to spend the money to replace it. So here is what we did.

First, we stripped all the factory paint off with a DA, and tried to prime and paint. After we primed and baked it, it was all still there. So I talked to my paint rep and asked for his suggestions. He suggested to try Spies Hecker's Raderal Polyester primer. Didn't work, same result. So then we decided to try Evercoat's Feather Fill G2. I sprayed this on, sanded, primed, sanded, and applied bc/cc. This was over 2yrs ago on a black car and haven't sean or heard of any problems yet. I live in IL near St. Louis, so it gets in the high 90's in the summer.

This is what I plan to do to my wife's TA this summer after I get my shed built. I will post the results.

Just my .02,
Joe
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redss86
I work in the body shop at a dealer, and we had a camaro traded in that had the "cancer". GM wouldn't replace the roof cause the recall has expired. What causes this is the glue that the factory uses basically bleeds through the fiberglass roof skin. This is where the bubbles come from. General manager didn't want to spend the money to replace it. So here is what we did.

First, we stripped all the factory paint off with a DA, and tried to prime and paint. After we primed and baked it, it was all still there. So I talked to my paint rep and asked for his suggestions. He suggested to try Spies Hecker's Raderal Polyester primer. Didn't work, same result. So then we decided to try Evercoat's Feather Fill G2. I sprayed this on, sanded, primed, sanded, and applied bc/cc. This was over 2yrs ago on a black car and haven't sean or heard of any problems yet. I live in IL near St. Louis, so it gets in the high 90's in the summer.

This is what I plan to do to my wife's TA this summer after I get my shed built. I will post the results.

Just my .02,
Joe
So is it the heat that makes it bleed thru? I have looked at a few cars here in Texas and they dont seem to have any of the cancer issues. Its Humid here during the summer... As for where my parents live (St. George Utah) It gets to be 110-115 during the summer and its a very dry heat. Would that be the difference. The 2 cars I found that I was looking at were in Vegas and Arizona each had the "cancer". Both cars owned by older folks.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Teching In

I would say it could have alot to do with the heat. I have only seen it on dark colors like the black one and on my wife's which is dark blue. Never really payed much attention to the lighter colors, too see if they have the same problems.

Joe
Old 02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

you cannot reuse a old panel, even if it did not show before . i had a 01 ta got in a wreck, a gm dealership reused old panel and then it started to show back up. btw the wreck was not my fault

Quick Reply: Bubbles on the roof behind T-Tops