Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

T-top to hard top conversion:

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-top to hard top conversion:

Has it been done? Is there a write up, or shop online that does it?

Not a big fan of T-tops, and want to lose them bad.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you probably aren't going to find a kit for it, but I would think you might be able to get the most of the parts you need from somebody who went the other direction. Any way you slice it you're not going to do it without some fabrication because when you go from hard top to t-top there is of course some stuff you cut out. I'm sure it can probably be done, but its probably not as easy as going from hard top to t-top.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

perfect/easy option: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...er-thread.html just get the fiberglass one, and paint it black to match the sail panel or paint it body colored, abd you're done! same look as a hard top but with a little pizzazz
Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Resident

That's rad ^
Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

I think it's been done before, search in appearance & detailing, I think the threads in there
Old 03-15-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

That targa top thing looks cool, but from the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look like it fits really well. The front corners are off.

Personally, I think I would prefer a smooth roof anyway.

I've done a couple of searches, but keep coming up dry. If there is a thread on it, I haven't been able to land on the particular search phrase that'll get me to it.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

+1 for 6LE's targa top!!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
That targa top thing looks cool, but from the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look like it fits really well. The front corners are off.

Personally, I think I would prefer a smooth roof anyway.

I've done a couple of searches, but keep coming up dry. If there is a thread on it, I haven't been able to land on the particular search phrase that'll get me to it.
the reason it was fitting like that in the pictures was because they had the hardware installed wrong, so it didn't lay flat. but that was just when they were test fitting for pictures, so thats not an issue
Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

just put a hard top roof on the car
Old 03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you weren't into the smooth roof you could easily buy our FG version (like Crimson said, pics were weird due to hardware) but you would still need to weld in the metal side supports from a hardtop car so that you could attach the factory hardtop weather stripping.

If you're handy with a grinder and a welder you could do the metal work in about 30 minutes to an hour.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Short of 6LE's targa top.... I am going to say that going from t-top to hardtop is probably going to be harder than going from hardtop to t-top.

I'd say.... if you hate t-tops that much... find a hardtop and make a trade.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
the reason it was fitting like that in the pictures was because they had the hardware installed wrong, so it didn't lay flat. but that was just when they were test fitting for pictures, so thats not an issue
Have you seen, or do you have pictures of a completed project? I wouldn't be 100% opposed to it, but I definately need to see it first.

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
If you weren't into the smooth roof you could easily buy our FG version (like Crimson said, pics were weird due to hardware) but you would still need to weld in the metal side supports from a hardtop car so that you could attach the factory hardtop weather stripping.

If you're handy with a grinder and a welder you could do the metal work in about 30 minutes to an hour.
That's kind of where my head is at. I'm wondering if I can go to a junkyard, find a POS V6 with a berjillion miles on it, hack the roof off, fab the supports to my car, and buy a new roof panel.

I need to look up how far your shop is to me, but is that something you guys would be willing to accomplish?

Some cars rattle more than others, and this one has got to be one of the worst offenders. I'm actually considering siliconing both panels to the car just to get some peace and quiet!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Less than 2 hours.

I can check out your targas while I'm up there, and decide then. What do you think?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

^you got it easy. i'll be doing over 5 hours there, and then back when i go pick up my targa and other stuff.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've never heard of someone having a distinct hate for T-Tops; indifference, possibly - but never an outright hatred! The T-Tops are Camaro tradition!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
Have you seen, or do you have pictures of a completed project? I wouldn't be 100% opposed to it, but I definately need to see it first.

That's kind of where my head is at. I'm wondering if I can go to a junkyard, find a POS V6 with a berjillion miles on it, hack the roof off, fab the supports to my car, and buy a new roof panel.

I need to look up how far your shop is to me, but is that something you guys would be willing to accomplish?

Some cars rattle more than others, and this one has got to be one of the worst offenders. I'm actually considering siliconing both panels to the car just to get some peace and quiet!
This is something you'd have to get done by our metal fab guy at the shop in Sun Valley (the industrial looking place you see in a lot of our test fit pics).

You would nee to come in with the metal from a hardtop car and then just pay Jameel to weld it in...

Not a one day job like a t-top conversion, it would be best to leave it with him for a couple days but it would have to be during the week...
Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Banned

^^I could schedule it so that my body guy (who does the FG valances, etc...) is there and you could have the complete conversion done IF you like the targa looking roof (as that is all we have to blend in)...
Old 03-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Wasnt too bad. Did it to my friends car. Had it done in 2 days.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you guys at the shop on Saturday?

I'm going to be in the area Friday or Saturday (Not sure which day yet)

I'd like to swing in and talk to you about our options. Who knows, I may see the targas and just have to have one.

I've never heard of someone having a distinct hate for T-Tops; indifference, possibly - but never an outright hatred! The T-Tops are Camaro tradition!
I don't have an outright hatred for the T's. I just think the car is much cleaner without them. It feels more solid to me. I've owned both. If this car were as solid as my last T-top car, it would be no issue. This one just happens to be really bad.

The previous owner used silicon lube to try to cure the rattles. Now the pannels actually clunk. So this situation is a little different. You would have to hear it to understand.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2004 Red GT-OH
Wasnt too bad. Did it to my friends car. Had it done in 2 days.
Where are you at on the West Coast? Any pics, tips, walkthroughs, etc...??

How did it turn out? Factory?

Quick Reply: T-top to hard top conversion: