Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

doing body work outside

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default doing body work outside

hey,

i've never done body work before and only a bit of painting (ceta's and berger's). i was wondering if it's a bad idea to sand down and prime a car in a parking lot. my car was polo green, then got a cheap maaco job previously which is now faded, plus i've got a blue fender that sticks out after a run-in with a deer.

i'm looking to do the body work myself but don't have a garage. i'll leave the painting for someone else.

and while i'm here...
i'm probably only going to be able to afford a single stage type paint. i'm hoping to do silver. any recommendations for a cheap silver paint? or would a staged paint job be better... (by cheap i mean i got $500)
it's not a show car and doesn't have to be perfect, i'd just like the paint to be fresh, not green, and get the car all one color.

any help??
Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackhawk400
hey,

i've never done body work before and only a bit of painting (ceta's and berger's). i was wondering if it's a bad idea to sand down and prime a car in a parking lot. my car was polo green, then got a cheap maaco job previously which is now faded, plus i've got a blue fender that sticks out after a run-in with a deer.

i'm looking to do the body work myself but don't have a garage. i'll leave the painting for someone else.

and while i'm here...
i'm probably only going to be able to afford a single stage type paint. i'm hoping to do silver. any recommendations for a cheap silver paint? or would a staged paint job be better... (by cheap i mean i got $500)
it's not a show car and doesn't have to be perfect, i'd just like the paint to be fresh, not green, and get the car all one color.

any help??
I am no professional body man myself, but I have painted my 91Z and now my 99Z. I have done all my body work outside. The lighting is better and there's no harm in doing it outside like when you are painting.

I don't know if you can get anyone to paint your car for $500, especially if you're changing the color in the door jambs, etc. I painted my 99Z with all DuPont materials and the materials alone costed me $500 (includes an extra gallon of clear for depth).

Recommendations on cheap paint? I think anyone on here will back me up when I say you get what you pay for...
Old 03-25-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what if you get busted?? why would you do body work outside in a parking lot?? can you do it from your parents garage, you need a d.a. to sand and prep the panles, what if you want to fix a dent with no experience you would be buying bondo and sand paper from pep boys and mixing bondo outside is a bad idea

i dunno where you live but even if you lived in arizona or socal they dont even do body work out side, plus the smell, i dunno you do what you want to but i would let a professional do the job, you do thsi out side and spraying out side is a huge mistake and a huge huge no no, not to mention it wont work material of today needs a controled enviroment even todays body filler needs controled enviroment

buying cheap material is going to give you cheap results, stick with ppg, du pont spies hecker and its not going to be under 500 it will be over, plus a good correct hvlp or lvlp gun compressor so much to list not even worth going into

leave it to us pros so it wont cost you more money in the end to fix what you did in a parking lot
Old 03-25-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

idk about a parking lot but we've had no problem doing any bodywork out in our yard.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had question here before as same your question.
Look at https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...l#post12855130
Look for Yellow T/A Painted done outside and excellent looks. Impressed!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
I had question here before as same your question.
Look at https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...l#post12855130
Look for Yellow T/A Painted done outside and excellent looks. Impressed!
Look at 22 pages
Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

i dont plan on painting it outside, just sanding it down and a few layers of filler here and there, nothing big.

i'm not going to get a big fancy paint job even though i'd like to. i'm just going with a few extra layers of paint, i'll wet sand and buff it myself later on. doesnt have to be a mirror finish. like i said above i just want it all one color for now. maybe in 5 years or so i'll get a real paint job, stripping the car down all the way.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I have seen guys doing body work outside in someones front yard with compressors running while smoking back to back blunts. Just depends on who sees you and what they think about what you are doing I suppose.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

haha, guys i'm not worried about getting in trouble, i just want to know whether it's a bad idea or not for quality purposes.

how much worse will my body work be than the same job done in a garage?
is something guaranteed to go wrong in direct sunlight?
will leaving the car in the sun do something bad to the primer, etc.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

You can do it all outside no problem, but if you don't have air pressure you can do everything but primer. Whatever you do don't use spray bomb primer because it will cause paint problems. As far as single stage silver is a bad idea, along with any other high metallic colors. To get a good finish it will probably be striped with metalics.

Quick Reply: doing body work outside