Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

t top to hard top conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill be doing this to my t top car this summer... already cut out the side frame rails from my old donor car and might i say if i had known what i was doing i would have successfully removed the outer hardtop roof... its a PITA big time but with the right tools you can have that roof off..

on the plus side i can sell a "t top conversion kit" as when i was removing the donor roof all you gotta do is cut those frame rails and a little fiberglass/bondo/paint work you can have your new t tops looking factory
Old 05-05-2010, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it to my car it it was actually pretty easy. I even got the old roof skin off the donor car without a scratch! I think I had the roof supports out of the old roof and in my car in a couple hours. For what I'm doing with my car, I wanted no part of having T-tops in the car any longer. Car now looks like a factory hardtop.

I have a complete kit now to build a t-top car but I will see how long it takes to get annoyed with moving it before I throw it away.

Jon
Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you everyone for the insight. Im not really concerned about the collectors appeal of my car. Its a keeper, I have 136k on it now and I have no intention to sell it. It doesnt look like Im going to upgrade to a zo6 anytime soon so I might as well make the car best suited to me as I can! If anyone knows any shops that can accomidate, drop me a line
thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teamfbody
u do better selling the car becuz making it a hardtop doesnt make much sense the ttop carz look better anyway i cant stand convertible or hardtop camaros or firebirds if it doesnt have ttops i dont want it. i had a chance to buy a clean 2001 camaro SS for a cheap price but once i saw it was a hardtop that sale was cancled quickly
hardtops are one step closer to a race car. If i had the choice of ttop firehawk formula that was local and a hardtop firehawk formula that was 2 days away........ i would go for the road trip without a doubt
Old 12-16-2011, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get this and call it a day http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=279
The following users liked this post:
blackhawk J (10-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2020, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackhawk J
My reasons for wanting the conversion done is because I do not like the Ttops on the car and I perfer the security and solid feel of a hard composite roof over my head. I never use the ttops but its difficult to find a car without them, so I did the next best thing and bought a complete roof. At a cost of $175 for the complete roof, even if the labor cost ten times the amount I would be willing to pay it. Would this be something that any reputable body shop can do, as if it were roof damage repair?
the hard top wont be any safer only way to make it safer is with a cage that is it flat out
Old 05-26-2020, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattm81
the hard top wont be any safer only way to make it safer is with a cage that is it flat out
FYI...This thread died in 2011. OP hasn't been on in years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tyler Dietzenbach:
biketopia (05-28-2020), blackhawk J (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler Dietzenbach
FYI...This thread died in 2011. OP hasn't been on in years.
I was on a facebook group that mentioned the forum and looked at my old posts. This is surreal to see people answer posts I made a decade ago. Welp, I still own the firehawk it's been in storage for 10 years but still plan on a hard top. Going with the carbon fiber top from magg performance. Thank you all!!

Quick Reply: t top to hard top conversion