Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Can you clear coat an engine compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you clear coat an engine compartment?

Ok guys, need your help on this one... I'm painting the engine compartment on my Lt1... The people at my local paint supplier told me to go with a single stage paint and not to clear it... Well the problem im having with this is i that i took their advice and painted it with a single stage paint... But since im new at this i got some runs and dirt particles in the paint, other than this everything looks great...
So what im asking is, is there anyway to save my paint job the way it is... Cuz i read you can't sand and buff a single stage metallic paint... Or i was thinking of sanding down all the inperfections hitting it again with the single stage paint then throwing some clear on top of it, this way i know for sure i can wet sand and buff... But will the clear coat hold up in a engine compartment?

All the advice would be greatly appreciated... And here's some pics to show what i got right now....

Old 05-03-2010, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

You can sand and buff single stage metalics but chances are you will loose some metalic causing it to look a little differant. I would try it and see what it looks like, since it's under the hood it may not be as noticable. You can clear single stage but I wouldn't do it, I've seen alot of delamintion of clear from doing it. You could have base cleared it and been fine to start with.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to do it on the bumper support since it will be covered anyway. If it works then move to the frame rail and then finally the wheel wells.

Side note: How hjard was it to remove the body harness from the firewall? Last time i did mine it was with the dash out and i do not want to remove the dash in my 02 but i want a quality job under there.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Try to do it on the bumper support since it will be covered anyway. If it works then move to the frame rail and then finally the wheel wells.

Side note: How hjard was it to remove the body harness from the firewall? Last time i did mine it was with the dash out and i do not want to remove the dash in my 02 but i want a quality job under there.

Man to be honest with you its been so long since its been out i really dont remember how hard it was... Of course it will be easier with the dash out.. im pretty sure you can do it with it in, but its just gonna be a pain in the rear... Im sure you still have the a/c stuff and airbag still in, thats whats gonna get in the way...
Old 05-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly, I'd just spray it with regular base and leave it at that, as they don't clear under there from the factory (Volkswagen does... but thats different.).
Old 05-04-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bird_of_prey_02
Man to be honest with you its been so long since its been out i really dont remember how hard it was... Of course it will be easier with the dash out.. im pretty sure you can do it with it in, but its just gonna be a pain in the rear... Im sure you still have the a/c stuff and airbag still in, thats whats gonna get in the way...
Its actually rather easy. There are only 2 plugs that go through on the passenger side. To get them out, just remove the PCM, passenger kick panel, and you should be able to get them out from there. the grommet will come out with it.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Yea you need to be careful with signal stage with metallic paint they tend to sit at the top and sanding them will move them around plus buffing if your not careful it will move them around it would be ok if you cleared the signal stage if i where you since you already went with the signal i would sand it down re shoot it then clear it it will hold up better plus 90% of the semis u see on the road are done that way and you see how they hold up its hard to be beat a singal stage with clear
Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by parryracing1
Yea you need to be careful with signal stage with metallic paint they tend to sit at the top and sanding them will move them around plus buffing if your not careful it will move them around it would be ok if you cleared the signal stage if i where you since you already went with the signal i would sand it down re shoot it then clear it it will hold up better plus 90% of the semis u see on the road are done that way and you see how they hold up its hard to be beat a singal stage with clear
Well i tried to sand it down and buff it...It worked but left it duller than i wanted...
I guess we're on the same page, cuz since i didnt like then way the buffing worked, i sanded it all down and reshot it with the single stage again and throw some clear on it...It came out really nice with only a couple of runs in the clear, but that shouldnt be a prob....thanks everyone for your inputs...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indrid_Cold
Honestly, I'd just spray it with regular base and leave it at that, as they don't clear under there from the factory (Volkswagen does... but thats different.).
This would defeat the purpose of painting it in the first place. factory engine bay paint looks like ***......this is VERY nice! I can't believe others have failed to noticed the amount of work that has wen into this bay. the shock towers have been smoothed, and the seams have been filled and smoothed, all the holes. I can't wait to see this finished!!!

Quick Reply: Can you clear coat an engine compartment?